3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Anybody else hate tuning new bows?  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Anybody else hate tuning new bows?
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2014, 11:46:00 AM »
Nope...I like it.
Kinda like figuring out a puzzle.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline ThePushArchery

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2014, 01:08:00 PM »
I seem to never have issues with tuning in bows. My dad has a heck of a time with many expletives that usually ends with a phone-call to me to come over and help.

I don't think its ever taken me longer than 25 minutes to get a new bow bareshafting darts into my fletched groups out to 30 yards.

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
Tuning is half the fun of getting a new bow.Then after everything comes together I get all warm and fuzzy inside.
Leland

Offline KyRidgeRunner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2014, 02:49:00 PM »
I'm with you etter!  I don't have a bunch of different spine arrows and my time is limited, I much rather be in the field then in the yard with a bare shaft... Funny you brought this up as I've been tuning a bow this week.  I somehow got some field tips Mixed up and bare shafted my bow to the wrong weight yesterday   :knothead:   I had my bare flyin like a dart and knock height was perfect.  Now I have to start over due to my lack of attention!

Offline Manitoba Stickflinger

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2014, 03:23:00 PM »
I kinda like tuning bows! It gives me the confidence in the field to know what to do if I need to repair my setup. To know what to do without having the internet or charts on hand is important to me as a bowhunter. Having a spare string (already shot in) with silencers and nock point installed eliminates these issues more often than not.

I'm sure most guys that have ventured out on hunts over weeks rather than days have seen how the elements can cause say string stretch. Knowing how to retune is very handy.

Another thing IMO is that Trad guys should be in touch with their equipment. Not to frown on those who detest tuning but I think it's just because of a lack of tuning confidence.

If most stickbow guys 1st and foremost did their part to eliminate  contact and clearance issues I think tuning would not be such a daunting task. Trying to tune a bow/arrow with contact issues is more often then not the reason guys hate tuning. IMO the next issue is shooting too stiff of an arrow for their bow. Eliminate contact and start with a weak spine would be my 1st two steps towards not hating the process.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2014, 03:52:00 PM »
Interesting thread.  I'm surprised by the number of folks who don't enjoy it.  I personally love it, every bow is a little different and the differences are fascinating going from bow style to style or when varying poundages.  I find it an entertaining activity during the off-season, and when trying new brands of arrows or new arrow setups.  I have learned a lot about what makes different bow designs tick through tuning, and it has given me an increased appreciation for what some of our gifted bowyers do to make a worthy hunting bow.  I will agree, once hunting season comes I like to have my gear set and not worry about it too much.  I have saved myself a lot of frustration I think by shooting full length carbon shafts and tuning via insert and point weight.  This way all I need to do is guess a spine for a particular bow, choose an insert and then play with several different point weights and adjust brace height and nock height to suit.  Its a pretty consistent method that fits my shooting style.  I can imagine once you start cutting arrows it gets a little more "invested" so frustration could easily result.  I also try shoot the same type of string on all my bows, 12 strand Rhino, so that one factor is constant.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2014, 06:02:00 PM »
I really enjoy this aspect.  I have spent hours tinkering with diff combos and have learned a lot.  Seems to get easier each time.  As my form has evolved it actually is now meaningful.  If they fly where I look bare I'm happy and have found the broadheads on feathered shafts are tuned for me.  Lots of great advice from folks on tg.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: December 23, 2014, 08:34:00 PM »
Great thread. I don't enjoy it myself that's why the last dozen bows I've built are able to shoot the same arrows I aleady have tons of! lol
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 23, 2014, 11:03:00 PM »
My favorite part of a new bow is tuning it!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 25, 2014, 09:46:00 PM »
Yeah I hate it like eating. That's a fun part of getting a new bow.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Thumper Dunker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 25, 2014, 11:43:00 PM »
I get bows that shoot my arrows.    :biglaugh:
You can hop but you can't hide.
If it was not for rabbits I would never get a buck.
Yip yipahooooo yipyipyip.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
By a wise old indian......'any bow good bow, good arrow heap much work'

Dennis Kamstra and Jason Wesbrock have two great articles in the Feb/March 2015 TBM that just came out on tuning and shooting.  A good reminder to what it's all about.  Also, Denny Sturgis has a paper tune tutorial in there that's straight forward.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 26, 2014, 08:22:00 AM »
IMO, you are shooting two different animals in bow design. You are going from a deflex riser w/ modest limb pre-load, and a 9'' brace w/ the widow. Just a rock solid design.

The Zipper is a hotrod,
Very little deflex in comparison, brace 7'' or under, and a ton of pre-load in those limbs.

You went from one spectrum of bow design to another. Be patient w/ that Zipper and get to know it w/ your shooting form and then fine tune.
Good luck

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 27, 2014, 12:33:00 AM »
I love the journey tuning can be a learning experience for me. I've spent a lot of time trying to learn a lost art called arrowsmithing. For me that's the best part.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Offline coldwinterlake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 27, 2014, 03:07:00 AM »
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but when tuning a bow and carbon arrows, Stu's calculator is off by 40 pounds or something. For example 55#@29.5" cut-past-center recurve with 8 strand string and Heritage 250s (.390 spine) 32.75" lenght and 225gr upfront is showing stiff when bare shaft tuning, but once I flecthed those they were weak. Ended up cutting them to 31". Sometimes I don't get it and try to forget all the numbers and just play around.
Bare shaft tuning and Stu's calculator have been actually the biggest obstackles for me.... Weird
Bigfoot Sasquatch SS 62" 60#
Martin Hunter 62" 55#
Mukkanuoli Toorum 60" 56#
Falco Trophy  68" 44#

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 27, 2014, 12:54:00 PM »
Originally posted by coldwinterlake:
I don't know what I'm doing wrong but when tuning a bow and carbon arrows, Stu's calculator is off by 40 pounds or something. For example 55#@29.5" cut-past-center recurve with 8 strand string and Heritage 250s (.390 spine) 32.75" length and 225gr upfront is showing stiff when bare shaft tuning, but once I fletched those they were weak. Ended up cutting them to 31". Sometimes I don't get it and try to forget all the numbers and just play around.
Bare shaft tuning and Stu's calculator have been actually the biggest obstacles for me.... Weird
Don't forget with a cut past center shelf you've got a great means to fine tune your spine flex with strike plate thickness. and using hard or soft material makes a big difference too. I like my arrows to be the same length and often can't get the exact point weight at the length i want. that's where strike adjustments come in handy.

Offline tzolk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 27, 2014, 01:34:00 PM »
I try to stick with the same general poundage to fit my arrows and ones cut to center.
64" Toelke SSLR
64” Toelke Whip SL
Great Northern Quivers only!

All the best!
Todd Z

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©