3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Confusing season  (Read 547 times)

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Confusing season
« on: December 21, 2014, 03:11:00 PM »
This has been a strange season indeed! I have seen very few deer. I had wood cut on my place last spring, which caused me to relocate most of my stands. Initially, I thought maybe I had put my stands in poor locations.

Today, instead of hunting, I gathered greenery for the Christmas decorations and walked around my hunting area afterward. Around every single stand I found tracks, droppings, rubs, and scrapes, sometimes within bow range. Now, I am beginning to think they are more nocturnal than they used to be. I know there are some big deer around, because I have seen some at night.

The only other explanation for not seeing deer is that I am too old and fidgety to be still and get busted before I ever see them. That is a more real possibility than I like to admit.
Sam

Offline fnshtr

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Confusing season
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 03:34:00 PM »
I too have had a strange season. I can't complain as I did take an early doe in September and a decent 8 point in late October... but the rut was different this year.

Lots of mast, both hard and soft... deer didn't have to move much during the day AND DIDN'T!!

I had six different 8 points on my trail cams including 3 dandys. Also had a nice 9 point running around... seen him in squirrel season and once from my stand in early November. Spent more time in the woods than ever (I'm retired) but never seen a buck chasing a doe. Seen a spike with a doe during our firearms season and a decent 8 with a doe during the second week of firearm season.

I think between setting my cameras, stands and hunting... I spread my scent around too much. They seemed to go almost entirely nocturnal about the first of November.
56" Kempf Kwyk Styk 50@28
54" Java Man Elkheart 50@28
WVBA Member
1 John 3:1

Offline Steelman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 04:05:00 PM »
Guys you have just summed up my seanson so far. Strange to say the least.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »
October was very heavy with deer, several just a little too far away. Since gun season came in it has been VERY few and far inbetween.
SWA Spyder

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 07:43:00 PM »
I have been having the same kind of season. I let some does and little bucks walk early in the season just because I was loving the hunt and felt like I had plenty of time. The acorns started falling and the movement shut down. The lease I am on has 5 members that hunt, I am the only trad guy. We have about 800 acres and usually  kill 12_15 deer. This year there have been three total. I have not seen a deer from the stand since November 2nd.

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2014, 07:45:00 PM »
I have been having the same kind of season. I let some does and little bucks walk early in the season just because I was loving the hunt and felt like I had plenty of time. The acorns started falling and the movement shut down. The lease I am on has 5 members that hunt, I am the only trad guy. We have about 800 acres and usually  kill 12_15 deer. This year there have been three total. I have not seen a deer from the stand since November 2nd.

Offline Steve56

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 08:27:00 PM »
Sam, it's been the same type of season here for me as well(East central GA). Had opportunities for does and small bucks early in the season, but was holding out for something better. We have several trail cameras out that have captured shots of some REALLY good bucks. But they're all in the middle of the night. And they are where we have our stands. Also, it has seemed that the winds have been more "switchy" (may not be a word) rather than being from a constant direction. I think that has played a big part as well.
Steve56

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 05:28:00 AM »
Same thing for me here in Osage county Okla
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline Longbow58

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 06:00:00 AM »
Same in Pa. I believe here we had such a good mast crop this year and combined with great ag year and rainfall the deer here felt any pressure they just would move to another area or go nocturnal. Ran 3 cameras and got some good buck but most at night. Got late season yet! Good luck, be safe.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 07:26:00 AM »
same here in Va. and we had an outbreak of EHD. lots of deer had split and rotting hooves. people have found many dead as well.
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline hitman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 07:46:00 AM »
Same type season for me. Have not taken a shot this year, passed up on some small bucks. Never saw many deer at all. Our deer herd in my hunting area is down quite a bit and we had great mast.
Black Widow PSAX RH 58" 47#@28
Samick Sage 62" 40#@28"
PSA Kingfisher RH 45#@28
Treadway longbow RH 60" 46#at 28"
W.Va. Bowhunters Association life member
Pope and Young associate member
Mississippi Traditional Bowhunters life member

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 08:20:00 PM »
We had a difficult year, too.  I know elk are there, but they managed to evade us
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 11:51:00 PM »
Was an odd season for me in Indiana. The only deer I had in range ended up being my big buck I shot 12-12-14. Prior to that I saw does and a small 8pt with none in range. And lots of sits getting skunked. My other two buddy's have been struggling too. One of em finally got his bruiser down he was after and the other is still wishing he would have shot his!monster when he had the chance last month
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©