3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Douglas fir or Sitka spruce?  (Read 2405 times)

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
Douglas fir or Sitka spruce?
« on: December 22, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »
Was looking for some input as I have not shot wood arrows for a really long time.I am shhoting a James Berry Morningstar that is 51@27 and was wonder what people like for that weight bow.Fir heavier so alittle slower,Fir lighter flatter trajectory.Thanks for any input.Lou
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Douglas fir or Sitka spruce?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 11:04:00 AM »
Been a while since I shot either, but they were pretty close for me--I'd shoot either one, but I still like POC better.

Offline gringol

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 11:11:00 AM »
Fir is heavier, but also a lot tougher.  Spruce is lighter.  Really it's just what you like.  Both are good choices.

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 11:34:00 AM »
i have used both, but i prefer sitka, its incredibly tough, and when i want a heavy hunting arrow- i can use heavier broadheads, and still get up to the fir arrow weights- yet have a far better FOC percentage.
my stumping arrows are spruce, and i usually lose them before i break them   :D  

another great thing about spruce is that it has a very pronounced "inter fiber connective tissue"component.
in other words, transverse micro fibers that connect the longitudinal fibers of the wood.
it is classified as having the highest strength to weight ratio,i guess thats why they use it both  for spar wood in the boating industry, and as aircraft framing wood!

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 12:15:00 PM »
Flyfish, sounds like you know the differences well, so like gringol says it's just what you like.
While the weights with spruce are easier to match for what I want, I
mostly go with doug fir. Reason is I think they hold up better for stump shooting, which I do a lot of.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 12:19:00 PM »
Agree with Fujimo...I've had great luck with sitka spruce...its just as tough as fir. Just depends on how heavy of an arrow you want. I have spruce shafts that weigh 400g bare so a 600g arrow is easy to make.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 01:26:00 PM »
Originally posted by fujimo:
i have used both, but i prefer sitka, its incredibly tough, and when i want a heavy hunting arrow- i can use heavier broadheads, and still get up to the fir arrow weights- yet have a far better FOC percentage.
my stumping arrows are spruce, and i usually lose them before i break them    :D    

another great thing about spruce is that it has a very pronounced "inter fiber connective tissue"component.
in other words, transverse micro fibers that connect the longitudinal fibers of the wood.
it is classified as having the highest strength to weight ratio,i guess thats why they use it both  for spar wood in the boating industry, and as aircraft framing wood!
...what he said...   :thumbsup:
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
Fujimo has it. Sitka Spruce is very strong when it comes to impact resistance. I've used and like both but I kinda like the spruce a wee bit more
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Blaino

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 08:11:00 PM »
Who sells the best spruce?
"It's not the trophy, but the race. It's not the quarry,
but the chase."

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 09:23:00 PM »
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 11:34:00 PM »
I like Sitka Spruce better because I use a True Center taper tool, and I get a nice clean cut with the spruce. I had problems with chuncks tearing out of the DF.

Now that I think about it, I had the problem with a different tool, so maybe it was the problem, though have read other reports about this problem with DF.

X2 on Hildebrand.
Chuck

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 08:02:00 AM »
surewood doug fir for hunting, always.  heavy is good, heavy is yer friend.

sitka spruce for really lightweight trad bows about 40# holding weights, or lots less.  mostly, these bows and arrows will not be for hunting, but for target or newbies or kids.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 09:25:00 AM »
I don't wholly agree with you Rob.
I agree that heavy is your/our friend..within reason of course.

I truly feel that spruce makes a very fine hunting hunting arrow.
There is the nice benefit of being able to get some more foc out of your setup when using spruce.

I shoot lightish draw bows..45-50#. And close to what you say, the spruce is a good choice for those bows as the lighter shafts can get you a more reasonable grain/#.

I feel spruce is a great way to go even with heavier weight bows.
If I were shooting them I'd just add weight to the front to get my grains/# reasonable and go from there.

Now obviously, shooting an 80#ish bow would require such a great amount of tip weight to get to an acceptable grain/# finding a suitable spined spruce shaft would be difficult if not impossible.
For such bows D.fir would be an excellent choice...maybe something even heavier..

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 09:28:00 AM »
i hear what you say Rob. for me i like to get the hunting weight arrows up there too, weight is surely your friend- but i just like to put it all into the broadhead-
and i shot spruce out of my #60 bows- and never had a problem with either spine or longevity. i now shoot #50 bows.
cheers    :)    
wayne

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 09:29:00 AM »
x2 Zrad man!   :thumbsup:  
you beat me to the draw!   :cool:

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 09:43:00 AM »
it's all good, i have nothing against spruce shafting, have used it, will continue to use it, but for me i find doug fir a more durable and easier to get in the mass weight ranges i like.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 09:53:00 AM »
And I have nothing against d. fir...or you Rob..lol

Just wanted to give a "newly returned" wood  shooter both sides of the coin.

and yes..It's all good!

:thumbsup:      :thumbsup:

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 10:10:00 AM »
The question is not which wood is better, all wood arrows are great.  I have some 40 year old cedar that are the best.  Every traditional archer should use wood at some point in their career, if not all the time.  Obviously I use Fir and have shot Cedar, and have seen Spruce that I would not hesitate to shoot.  What ever wood you shoot, all good quality wood makes wonderful arrows.  Make, shoot, and enjoy.  Steve
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
amen to that brother steve!!!!
yer right, any wood is good wood!    :D    
must admit, i did buy a doz carbons once- but they're still setting there- 4 years later!

i concur with your footnote!   :readit:    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »
I don't make wood shafts, but I figure it's similar to making strings.  The material you use is only part of the equation.  What you do with that material can make as much or more difference than the material itself.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©