3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear montana  (Read 1077 times)

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bear montana
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 12:46:00 PM »
I have an older Montana (1999) yes the grip is a bit chunky but not to bad. I did the mod on the tips as the stock limb tips could be used as a walking stick. I have shot the newer Montana with a better shaped grip. It feels better than mine. Mine is still back at our home in San Diego, I do not have to carry one with me every time we visit.

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by M60gunner:
I have an older Montana (1999) yes the grip is a bit chunky but not to bad. I did the mod on the tips as the stock limb tips could be used as a walking stick. I have shot the newer Montana with a better shaped grip. It feels better than mine. Mine is still back at our home in San Diego, I do not have to carry one with me every time we visit.
rework the grip - it's really too easy, and so is the adding a few clear coats - it's like having a new and far better montana ... promise!  :)
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 02:01:00 PM »
I have hunted with one all deer season this year. It's a great bow! Add a skinny string to it to juice it up a bit and it gets even better. Love mine!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 04:17:00 PM »
I see your from Michigan. May want to wait till the end of January and go to the K-ZOO trad expo and shoot a Montana and other long bows. I would look at a New Wood Longbow, they run about $500.00. Very nice bows for the money. I bought one at the show last year and love it!!
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline Steelman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 04:40:00 PM »
I have one and hunt and shoot with it often and like it a lot. I bought mine from Big Jim's bow company. It was one that missed weight so I got a good deal on it. So for what I paid you really can't do better for the price. As some one said replace the sting that comes on it with something better and you'll have a shooter. The one con I have is the grip cover and the rest. They are really cheap. But they were easly replaced so it's not a deal breaker for me. If mine broke or was stolen I would call Big Jim and order another without hesitation.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
I still have a Montana.  I don't have a lot to compare it to, but here are my thoughts:

Pros - As other's have said, it's bombproof!  I'm rough on equipment, and it takes it all.  I shot it well out to 20 yards.  It's quiet (to my ears).

Cons - As other's have said, the grip is not that comfortable.  I did notice some shock (never enough it was uncomfortable, and I kept the stock string on it).  I didn't like the amount of arrow drop past 20 yards.  Some don't mind this, but a slightly flatter shooting bow gives me a little more confidence.  

If I was starting over with the info I have now, I would look into a Kanati or something like that( again, just me).

Go shoot one!  Most of the two largest sporting goods stores carry them in stock (right handed).
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline bigiron

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 06:34:00 PM »
the new models have a lot smaller narrower tips, as good a shooting working mans longbow as you can ask for, for the money.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 07:05:00 PM »
And all that being said if the Montana doesn't float your boat there are alternatives like the Sky Trophy Hunter, which can also be had in 66" and only costs marginally more.

Mad Dog was a great suggestion also.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 07:21:00 PM »
I bought my first trad bow 3 months ago and I went with the bear Montana in 45#.  I really like it. It's been an easy bow to shoot, I don't notice any hand shock and my shooting has been steadily improving which is all I can ask for. Coming from compounds I had to get used to shooting with a low wrist grip, but that feels really comfortable to me now.  Granted I don't have much experience with other bows to compare the montana to but overall I've been very happy with my purchase. For the money I think it's a great weapon, I'm sure there are nicer custom bows available but who wants to spend twice the money or more for a custom when you're just starting out and don't really know what to look for in a custom. Ive seen nothing in the Montana that will hold me back as an archer. Get a draw weight that's comfortable to shoot, fling some arrows and be happy.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline buckster

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
The newer models have been slimmed down with regard to handle, limbs and tip.  These changes result in a much better "feel" and performance.  Real bargin pricing and the nostalgia of shooting a Bear bow.
"Carpe Carp" ... Seize the fish.

Offline Harry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2014, 12:37:00 AM »
Great bow. For me very quiet, no hand shock and accurate. Shoots as good or on par with my well known custom longbows costing 3times as much.

Online Friend

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2014, 12:41:00 AM »
Shooting the Montana has provided much enjoyment over the years.

A great choice for many!
>>----> Friend <----<<

My Lands… Are Where My Dead Lie Buried.......Crazy Horse

Offline Benny Nganabbarru

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2014, 03:05:00 AM »
My Meg shoots one, and although she's a beginner she is really enjoying it.
TGMM - Family of the Bow

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 24, 2014, 04:06:00 PM »
I haven't shot one in many years, but threads like this make me want to try it again.  The first ones that came out snakebit me on them.

Like most any bow, I figure a good string will make it better.  18-20 strands of BCY-X has been great for everything I've tried it on, from around 20# on up.

Offline LongStick64

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
I've never shot one but I've seen others shoot them and they seem to be very pleased with them. They may not win a bow beauty pageant but they may be about the best performing low cost hunting longbow.
Primitive Bowhunting.....the experience of a lifetime

Offline bear mike

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2014, 09:02:00 PM »
I ended up buying a 50# its a really nice shooting bow I traded a Roy Hall Navajo for it the Navajo was much a lot more money but it was a little much for me to shoot for any length of time so I traded for the Montana and some other things for traditional shooting. All is good now.

Thanks Mike

Offline tonytwotimes

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2014, 06:29:00 PM »
55# Montana for me. Newer style with the reworked handle and such. The only thing I really didnt like was the grip wrap which I promptly removed. It feels more secure in my hand now without that cheap leather held on by barge cement.

Just ordered all the fixins for wood arrows to put through it.
Life is like an arrow, the farther back you're pulled, the farther forward you'll end up.

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2014, 01:16:00 PM »
Tony was it easy getting the adhesive off?

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2014, 04:01:00 PM »
The adhesive isnt hard to get off...dont know if its the right way but i put a little lighter fluid on a cotton ball and in about 2-3 minutes I had it all off. Im sure there are other things that would help remove the cement as well.

I replaced the grip with a sur grip...and put velcro on for the rest and side plate. A big improvment over the junk that comes stock on it.
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2014, 05:01:00 PM »
Sounds good ky, I want to take the grip off and just shoot it bare for a while.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©