3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bear montana  (Read 1078 times)

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
Re: Bear montana
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2014, 05:17:00 PM »
Originally posted by Krex1010:
Sounds good ky, I want to take the grip off and just shoot it bare for a while.
that's a good, if not best, way to do it.  remove the glued on grip.  try some naphtha (ligher fluid) at first and if that don't do, get you some acetone (wear a rubber glove) and rub it where the grip was to get off that stubborn contact cement.  then wipe it down with naphtha or alky and dry off.

get in a few shots and let yer bow hand tell ya where wood gets removed.  then set the bow in a padded vise and have at it with a 6" rasp.  just keep gripping the handle and rasping away a bit at a time.  i took one down a huge amount, made a very slim grip with a small throat for the minimum amount of bow hand torque before, during and after the shot.

when the new shape feels right, go over all the rasping with a progression of sandpaper grits, maybe from 60 to 320.  optionally finish off with 0000 steel wool.

there are lotsa good ways to quickly refinish that handle wood.  the fastest and by far the easiest is to use min-wax gloss wipe on polyu, or any variety of clear coat sprays (mask off the rest of the bow b4 spraying).  i did my 7 lakes longbow with helmsman spar varnish.  a tough finish can be done the massey way - mix up some slow set epoxy in a cup, dribble in some acetone until the mix turns from a goo to a wet slurry.  using a rubber glove and a clean piece of cotton t-shirt, wipe that onto the handle area.  allow to cure, buff with 0000 steel wool, do it again.  i usually do 3 coats max.

main thing is that you'll basically have a very custom bow that'll fit yer bow hand like a ... glove.   :cool:
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2014, 07:04:00 PM »
Excellent info rob! Thanks for taking he time to explain that all. If I decide to modify my grip I'll be trying that nekid for sure
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline Legolas

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2014, 05:05:00 PM »
My first traditional whitetail kill was with a Montana. Later gave it to my son.
Things seem to turn out best for people who make the best of the way things turn out-Art Linkletter

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you are probably right-Henry Ford

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2014, 05:41:00 PM »
ALSO ...

do not refinish the entire bow, only the area you worked on, and maybe about 1/8" or so on top of the existing finish. off those areas with 3m blue painter's tape. i just mask off and around the limbs and riser, about 1/8" above and below the worked on area of the handle section.
IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©