3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Hunt where the sign tells you  (Read 555 times)

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
Hunt where the sign tells you
« on: December 23, 2014, 09:57:00 AM »
This video is from my hunt last night. I started the video as soon as i got on stand because i knew that it was a pretty crazy place to set up. This is northern Michigan State land, after the gun pressure of 800 thousand gun hunters, and a place i would never think of hanging a tree stand. But i decided to "hunt where the sign told me" and it paid off.

http://tbwpodcast.com/video-32-hunt-where-the-sign-tells-you/

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Hunt where the sign tells you
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 11:31:00 AM »
Congrats and thanks for sharing. Good advice for sure.   :thumbsup:

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 05:31:00 PM »
Awesome! Love your podcast n videos. Very informative and enjoyable. Congrats on that nice doe! Great shot.
We have also been finding and hunting some real off the wall spots that has been paying off for us past 2 seasons.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 05:51:00 PM »
Nice video.  Very well done and great information.  Thanks for sharing.  I had a similar experience last Christmas.  Congrats on a great hunt and shot.

Offline CoachBGriff

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 05:52:00 PM »
Jason,

You're the man!  Thanks for sharing.  I always love to check out your videos!  Great information and great shooting!  Congrats!
For we did not follow cleverly contrived myths when we made known to you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ; instead, we were eyewitnesses of His majesty.
2 Peter 1:16

Offline NANUK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 06:42:00 PM »
Congrats on the new bow and fine harvest.  Your videos are very informative and entertaining.
" Don't be bitter, Be better!"

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 06:48:00 PM »
Tried to leave a "comment" but after 3 rejects for no obvious reason, I gave up, Jason.

As always, informative, fun and great job!!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 07:53:00 PM »
Very cool! Thought you'd be sitting under one of those deer crossing signs along the highway though!
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 08:10:00 PM »
Nice shot and beautiful doe, congrats
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 08:13:00 PM »
Awesome video, thanks for sharing
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 08:23:00 PM »
Great Job. Nice Doe.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 08:42:00 PM »
Great point. I think a lot of folks miss this simple message. Myself included. Years ago I kept jumping deer walking into my "hot" spot! First evening hunting where the deer WAS I connected. Never forgot that lesson. But a good reminder for folks.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 08:56:00 PM »
Congrats on the doe and the new bow!  I enjoyed your video!

Bernie

Offline RedShaft

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 10:48:00 PM »
So that kinda looked like your hub type spots you talk about that you like so much, but why did you pick the tree you did? Was it the conversion point of the hub or the most heavily used trails? Was there a funnel by that tree? It looks kinda open in there even though it was a cut.
Rough Country.. The Hunters Choice

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 11:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by RedShaft:
So that kinda looked like your hub type spots you talk about that you like so much, but why did you pick the tree you did? Was it the conversion point of the hub or the most heavily used trails? Was there a funnel by that tree? It looks kinda open in there even though it was a cut.
You are correct it was very open. If there was not snow and fresh deer tracks going thru there I would of never hunted it. I wanted to hunt the thicker funnel I pointed out and that is where I was originally heading. I parked my truck and walked down that 2 track to the funnel and didn't see one deer track. So I thought heck, there are a ton of deer tracks and trails over there in the open. I know they are bedding in the swamp and then heading to the oaks to eat. I then walked closer to the swamp edge where they are bedding but the trails were spread out too far and no way to shoot more than one. so I figured that was a crap shoot at best and decided to go back up to the 2 track and follow the trails to an area where the trails came closest together and would give me the best option to cover the most trails. when I found that spot I stopped and thought "you have to be kidding me! why in the heck are deer moving thru here?"  I weighed my options as I had been walking for over an hour with a stand on my back and sticks on my shoulder and it was getting late. I could 1: hike a few hundred yards back to the swamp and pick one trail to cover. 2: I could hunt where I think the deer should be but are not. or 3: set up right here in the open where the deer tell me to even though its against my better judgement. I figured "trust the deer"! So I picked a double tree that offered the best cover, climbed in and stood the whole time as motionless as possible. I figured I would not see deer until just before dark. But I saw 2 does (mom and a yearling) about an hour before dark come out of the swamp on a trail that I would not of set up on if I was over there. they took their time feeding thru that open area and passed by me at 30 yards before getting down wind and running back the way they came. then about 15 mins before dark I looked left and there was a spike at 50 yards eating acorns. he was not moving just eating in place. then about 5 mins later 2 does came out on the same trail as the spike and when they saw the spike they ran past him pretty fast. they stopped with the yearling 12 yards away and the big doe about 20-22 yards away. when the yearling started to paw for acorns and turned sideways I started to draw. but then the spike ran over and the big doe turned broadside to watch the spike come in. that's when I decided to take the big doe instead. The arrow zipped thru her so fast she didn't even react for a solid second! then she was out of there. She ran back the way she came and cut hard left. I heard her crash and seen her go down.
  Its actually kind of funny as I got down and got my arrow then I walked towards my truck to drop off my stick and stand closer to the road for easier pick up. then I went back to the hit site and started trialing her. blood everywhere and very easy to follow. even though I saw her go down I always follow blood because you can learn so much about what deer do when hit. I go to the tree with the blood where she hit and I cut around it to keep looking for blood and to find her. but there was no tracks or blood. it took me 5 minutes to realize she was tangled in the blow down under the tree branches.

Offline South MS Bowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 12:14:00 AM »
Great information Jason! I'm processing in my mind now where I've seen the most sign on the land I hunt.  I plan on being there in the morning with a renewed sense of motivation, thanks.
Everything I have and have become is due to the Lord and his great mercy.

Offline LIBowhunter

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 02:15:00 AM »
Jason congrats on the deer! Enjoyed the video! I wish we had some snow on the ground here to make it a little easier but I will take that info and try to setup where the deer tell me to. Also started listening to your podcast on "failure and frustration" I can relate and agree with what your saying. Enjoyed it. Keep them coming! Thanks again!
--------------------------------
LIFE IS GOOD!
--------------------------------
NY Bowhunters Member
NRA Member

Offline LB_hntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 09:44:00 PM »
Yeah the snow makes it easier and is pretty important this time of year here.
 With out the snow its very hard to find any new sign as the ground is usually frozen enough that deer don't leave a fresh track anywhere and they are changing patterns and starting to yard up together in different areas. Areas that were good are empty and new areas are hot. Frozen ground and no snow make it hard to narrow down how to hunt those areas. So a little snow really makes the picture come together and make sense. I will take a fresh snow or even no snow but soft ground any day. Frozen ground with no snow makes it tough to figure out new places.

Thanks everyone for watching!
Merry Christmas!

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2014, 08:41:00 AM »
Cool video!

Congrats on the new bow and a fine harvest!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2014, 10:59:00 AM »
Good advice and good video.  Congratulations on as you say a great way to wrap up your season.    :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©