3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: ok, another few questions.  (Read 582 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
ok, another few questions.
« on: December 23, 2014, 10:03:00 AM »
so if I settle on a 50# recurve. and actually pulling around 46-47# at 27" what spine arrow do you recommend? What length would I be looking at? What would be a good arrow weight for hunting whitetails? And what gr head do you suggest in the total weight of the arrow?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: ok, another few questions.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 10:07:00 AM »
500 spine shafts will work very well. All my bows are right at 50@28 and I draw 27" and thats what they all like.

I use the Carbon Express 150's with a 50 or 100 grain brass insert and a 185 grain broadhead. You don't need the brass inserts you can use steel broadhead adapter instead of aluminum like I do to get your weight up if wanted.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 10:11:00 AM »
so KY, do i need an insert? or would a 150 gr braodhead and arrow cut to 29" with 5" feathers put me at a decent weight? should be looking a total arrow weight of 500 gr? 550?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Altiman94

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
Originally posted by VA Elite:
so KY, do i need an insert? or would a 150 gr braodhead and arrow cut to 29" with 5" feathers put me at a decent weight? should be looking a total arrow weight of 500 gr? 550?
You will need an insert or a broadhead adapter.

I shoot 500 spine arrows cut to 29" with 150gr heads and 100 gr brass inserts and my arrows weigh 530gr.  If you cut out the brass insert and used a standard insert you'd be losing about 85 grains that you need to be back on somewhere if you want an arrow weight over 500 grains.
>>>--------->

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 10:41:00 AM »
I shoot a .500 Beman Centershot out of my 50# longbows but will also work out of my #45 longbows. The arrow is cut at 29" BOP. I use the 50 grain brass insert and 175 grain point. I use an arrow wrap and fletch them with (3) 5" barred feathers. They weight out at 500 grains with this configuration. I can also shoot this same arrow configuration with my vintage Bear recurves.

Ron

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 10:56:00 AM »
I'm pretty close to your set-up.......RER  XR, 52#@28 and I pull 26.5".  I shoot Easton FMJ's 500s at 29"', 150 grain points, the standard H.I.T. 16 grain insert, 5" fletching, and 7" One Stringer wraps with double dog for a total arrow weight of around 470 grains.  Like the others said, any 500 spine should work for you.     Good luck
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 11:25:00 AM »
so I shoot for a total arrow weight of 500 +/- ? this should be good for KE/Momentum? quiet?

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
9-10 grains per pound of draw weight. So at say at 10 gr, your arrow would weigh around 460-470 gr. With a sharp BH you can kill pretty much anything in North America.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 11:51:00 AM »
ok, this is good info. so if I went with an easton axis trad 500 arrow cut to 29" with all the components, standard insert, ring adapter, nock, feathers what size broadhead would you recommend?

Offline kadbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 12:30:00 PM »
Shoot it with some different weight field points and see what flies well, then select your broadhead accordingly.
Colorado Traditional Archers Society
Colorado Bowhunters Association
Grand Mesa Bowmen
Compton Traditional Bowhunters

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 12:50:00 PM »
ok. so being on a budget, I need to find anrrow brand. I have narrowed it down to two. Easton Axis Trad. or Carbon Exp heritage. for the axis it looks like a 29" 500's. for the heritge its the 150 spine? 29" I shot a few more bows today, most of them out of my price range..but i really liked the samick sage for the money in 45#.... Im really getting close to putting it all together

Offline yeager

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2014, 12:59:00 PM »
Ditto to what Kadbow said.  I personally use the old Bear broad heads with screw-in adapters and tune the arrow with them.  With my bow it worked out to a 29" arrow.  Any other point weight would result in changing my arrow length for that bow.  Now for my Bob Lee which is a little heavier in draw weight, I use the same arrow and components, but my arrow length is a little shorter.
Wisconsin Traditional Archers
Wisconsin Bowhunter Assoc lifetime member
P&Y Club, Official Measurer

Offline kybownut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2014, 01:48:00 PM »
With a string upgrade the sage is a very good shooting bow, also I wouldn't overlook aluminum arrows such as the easton game getters if your on a budget ( three rivers has them) 500 spine should tune pretty easily for 45-50 pounds
60" predator hunter 46# @28"
maddog bamboo backed hickory elb 53# @28"
traditional bowhunting is more than a choice of equipment!

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2014, 01:53:00 PM »
I would not cut the arrows till you try them on your bow.  Cutting carbons affects them quite a bit, and you can't put it back on once it's done.  Shoot the arrows first, then cut them down a little at a time till they fly the way you want.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline Pheonixarcher

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2014, 02:12:00 PM »
It is much easier to tune an arrow to your bow, when you are not trying to tune the set up for a specific broadhead weight. There are plenty of options in all manner of weights and configurations to match your dynamic spine requirements.

Both of your arrow choices are good ones, but maybe also consider Beaman center shots, and Gold Tip trads if you want to stay with a wood grain finish. They are both also great arrows for a cheaper price, and the GT's you can often find 'blems' on sale for a really good price.

If you have your own saw and plan on cutting your own arrows as you tune, invest in some Ferrel-Tite cool flex, hot melt. It's made for use with carbon arrows, and works really well, especially when removing, trimming the shaft, then reinserting the inserts. The axis shafts, with their hit inserts are a bit more difficult and time consuming to do this with.

I don't like to hunt with anything less than 500 grains. The more the better in my opinion. More arrow weight will yield more down range KE/momentum, quiets the bow more, and provides less hand shock. Too heavy though, and trajectory suffers. I personally like 11-12 gpp.
Plant a fruit or nut tree today, and have good hunting tomorrow.
=}}}}}-----------------------------}>

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2014, 02:40:00 PM »
The sage is a good bow. My brother bought one last year and after a string upgrade it is well worthy to shoot a great arrow and with some authority.

Yeah you need to get your bow before you can tune arrows. You can buy them now however if you would like. The .500 spined options from any maker will be what you need for that bow poundage. I forget how the shelf is cut on the Sage but brother's 150 CE Heritages fly great from it.

Don't cut the arrows off until you get your bow and the new string (if wanted). You will cut just one of the arrow off 1/2" at a time to figure out their proper length for your weights of adapter/points chosen.

Brothers are 29" and he is shooting a 15 grain aluminum insert, a 75 grain steel adapter and a 150 grain broahead.

All shafts even of the same spine don't weight the same. Look to the charts for their GPI (grains per inch) weights. I would suggest the 10 GPP (grains per pound) of bow weight to hunt with. For a 3-D setup you could go slightly lighter if wanted.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2014, 03:30:00 PM »
Ok I pulled the trigger! I bought a 50# samick sage. I got a glove and a stringer. All from Lancaster . 174$ to my door. I will look for arrows after I get the bow. I really Appreciate all the help. The sage was really the only thing in my price range. And will so many in here saying it was a good bow i went for it. U guys are awesome! My journey has begun! Also, when i store the bow, do need to always take the string off?

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2014, 06:39:00 PM »
If you are budget minded for arrows check out the gold tip blems(you can buy just 6 to start) from Big Jim, a great deal, and excellent supplier and a sponsor of Trad gang,  http://www.shop.bigjimsbowcompany.com/Gold-Tip-Carbon-Shafts-BLEMS-GTBLEMS.htm  

If you call he will get you started with the correct arrow, insert and points. Excellent source of information. Choose broadhead after you are tuned a with solid form matching field point weight.

You can leave bow strung for extended periods of time but DO NOT set it on tip in a corner.
shoot straight shoot often

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2014, 06:44:00 PM »
katman thanks. i will certainly call jim. I have no problem unstringing the bow, but i often hunt/shoot multiple days in a row and just wanted to make sure it's ok to do it. Do most of you use a stringer?

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2014, 07:09:00 PM »
Without exception
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©