3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Binocular Recommendations  (Read 884 times)

Offline George Vernon

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Binocular Recommendations
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
There are many good binoculars on the market.  Most already mentioned in previous posts.

A lot of folks concentrate on 'where' they will use them, deep woods, open woodlands, mountains, etc.

And that's important.  But 'how' they are used is more important.  For example, if they are used as quick checks of what's lies ahead (a minute or less viewing), I'd go with the least expensive combination of power, field of view, water proofing, etc. that I will need for the most common terrain I hunt.

If you often spend several minutes looking through the binoculars, perhaps up to a half hour of detailed looking at a time, consider the Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski's of the world.

I know a lot of folks laugh at the high prices and a quick look through them side by side with lower cost alternatives in a store doesn't show any noticeable difference.  But prolonged viewing has shown me a real difference related to eye fatigue.  I hunt a lot in the wooded farmlands in southern Ohio and Indiana and hunt from the ground.  I'm amazed at how many deer I can actually see by glassing a 180 degree arc around by blind continuously.  Well, at least 15-20 minutes at a time.  Even if the distance I can see is only a 100 yards, I use my Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 often and for extended viewing sessions.  Deer sneaking through thickets are easy to miss with the naked eye, but not with the binoculars.  I don't know enough about optics to explain why I can look through the CL's without eye strain for extended periods of viewing, but can't with Bushnell Legends of about the same power.  Something to consider.

Offline grouseshooter002

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2014, 04:35:00 PM »
I carry a pair of Leica 10x24 compacts in my shirt pocket when I do hunt. As with most things you get what you pay for so save your money until you can get a pair of clear, crisp and bright binos. This is jmo only.

Regards,
Grouse

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2014, 04:41:00 PM »
Not all that small, but the best I have used are Steiner Predators 8X30.......great in the woods and clear as can be......you see them on sale a lot.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2014, 05:21:00 PM »
My vote is for Vortex.  I've owned a pair of 8x42 Stokes probably 8 years now and last year noticed I couldn't get a pefect focus (thought it was my eyes!)  Called Vortex and sent them in where they quickly repaired them and shipped them back to me free of charge.  Great product and warrantee that they stand behind.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
Can't beat Yosemites for the price and even higher priced!
Most of the time when I am hunting I use a 8X20 Zeiss. they are are just too handy.  For any other  times I use my 8X30 Swarovskis.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2014, 07:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by george vernon:
There are many good binoculars on the market.  Most already mentioned in previous posts.

A lot of folks concentrate on 'where' they will use them, deep woods, open woodlands, mountains, etc.

And that's important.  But 'how' they are used is more important.  For example, if they are used as quick checks of what's lies ahead (a minute or less viewing), I'd go with the least expensive combination of power, field of view, water proofing, etc. that I will need for the most common terrain I hunt.

If you often spend several minutes looking through the binoculars, perhaps up to a half hour of detailed looking at a time, consider the Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski's of the world.

I know a lot of folks laugh at the high prices and a quick look through them side by side with lower cost alternatives in a store doesn't show any noticeable difference.  But prolonged viewing has shown me a real difference related to eye fatigue.  I hunt a lot in the wooded farmlands in southern Ohio and Indiana and hunt from the ground.  I'm amazed at how many deer I can actually see by glassing a 180 degree arc around by blind continuously.  Well, at least 15-20 minutes at a time.  Even if the distance I can see is only a 100 yards, I use my Swarovski CL Companion 8x30 often and for extended viewing sessions.  Deer sneaking through thickets are easy to miss with the naked eye, but not with the binoculars.  I don't know enough about optics to explain why I can look through the CL's without eye strain for extended periods of viewing, but can't with Bushnell Legends of about the same power.  Something to consider.
^--------YES!!  Well said!
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline actionjackson22

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: December 23, 2014, 07:15:00 PM »
I agree with Leupold yosemites I've had mine for years and hunted Ohio,pa,Kentucky and Wyoming with them great product and a great price.
Jesus saves!
Galaxy Ember longbow 60" 55#
Bear Grizzly 58" 50#
PSE blackhawk 60" 45#

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: December 23, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Lots of good bino's listed for sure! I still say for the best bang for your buck and guarantee at least look at Vortex. BUT even if you end up not buying them look at the Vortex binocular locks. PERIOD. The best $12 accessory you can buy for binoculars that accept or are built for tripod mounting. And most mentioned here are built for this accessory but bet most folks don't even know they have this option or Vortex makes a LOCK for to fit!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: December 23, 2014, 08:00:00 PM »
6x30 Yosemite are what I am using. Very pleased with the price/performance ratio. Paid $90 A few years ago. Even if I were to buy more expensive glass I would still keep them for the truck.

Offline Riverrat43

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: December 23, 2014, 08:57:00 PM »
I've been looking at some Pentax 8-16 X 21 UCF II's. They seem small and have a zoom feature that could come in handy. Pentax is supposed to be pretty good glass. At under 90 dollars they might be worth considering. Does anyone have any experience with them?
Ask the American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did to his land and way of life.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: December 23, 2014, 09:05:00 PM »
Riverrat43, I'd be just a bit leery of that sized glass. My experience, at least with the lower priced compacts, is that they are ok for short duration use during the middle of the day, but most of my hunting activity takes place either right after sun-up, or late in the afternoon and that isn't much of an exit pupil even at 8 power, let alone 16. I would be willing to bet they are going to be pretty dim.

You're right about Pentax making a good glass. I have an 8x32 that is very good - almost as good as my Nikon Monarch X 8.5 x 45HD. Trouble is, all the makers also offer cheaper glasses and I haven't had much luck with them.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 23, 2014, 09:27:00 PM »
I've got the Minox compact 8x25 BV coming in the next day or two (OK, I snooped). Excellent reviews on the birder forums for a compact, and quite affordable. Interested in seeing how they compare to my 8x30 Swaros. Wanted them to keep in the truck; $1000 binos left in the truck console makes me a bit nervy...

Offline Jim Jackson

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 23, 2014, 09:45:00 PM »
I use binoculars every day in the field.  I always carry them when hunting.  I agree with what many have said.  6-8 power magnification would be max.  I would shy away from anything smaller than a 32mm objective.  That is about the same light gathering capability as the human eye.  Go with anything smaller and you won't be able to use them well in that magic dawn/dusk time frame.  Anything over 32mm will gather more light than your eye can naturally.  My everyday carry for forest work here in the ozarks is a 8 X 32 nikon SE.  I also have the 10 X 42 nikon SE.  These are both porro prism design which I just prefer over the roof prism.  I also really like the Vortex line.  Really good glass and a great company to work with.   You can get nice glass for under $300.  The $300-$800 has a lot of variability with coatings and special features.  My everyday carry bins are in that range.   Over $1000 gets into the elite league. Fantastic glass, but not on a teacher's salary       :scared:    ...someday maybe after retirement  The biggest recommendation is to go try several sets and find the one that fits your eyes best.
Blaze out your own trail.

Offline Knotter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: December 23, 2014, 11:09:00 PM »
Vortex diamondback in 8 x 28 are a good value. Personally, my faves for riding in the pocket are Leica trinovid 8x20s. Not great in low light but awesome throughout the day. Clear and easy on the eyes.
56" TD Checkmate Hunter, #55@28
66" Checkmate Crusader, #60@28
60" Meland Pronghorn LB, 65@28

Offline Medic85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 24, 2014, 02:37:00 PM »
Leupold rogues for a man on a budget.  Been very happy with them.

Offline larry

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: December 24, 2014, 05:29:00 PM »
Vortex, great glass at a price way lower than what they are wroth

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 24, 2014, 06:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by larry:
Vortex, great glass at a price way lower than what they are wroth
Dittos, check out Eagle optics. They have great sales. Same company as Vortex

Offline Riverrat43

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: December 24, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »
Bladepeek, You're right. The low end zoom binos have really bad reviews for the most part. The Pentax doesn't fare much better if any.
Ask the American Indian what uncontrolled immigration did to his land and way of life.

Offline Terry Lightle

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2014, 07:17:00 PM »
Leupold for 20 years here.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Life Member

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2014, 09:27:00 AM »
Hey guys, thanks for all the great feedback. Looks like I have a pair of Leupold Yosemites 6x30 in my future. Found them in NYC for $79.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©