3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Favorite knife?  (Read 7253 times)

Offline Ringneck

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Favorite knife?
« Reply #100 on: December 31, 2014, 12:56:00 PM »
Thanks, Terry.

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #101 on: December 31, 2014, 11:24:00 PM »
My favorite knife is Ron LaClair's Randall Model 19 that I've been badgering him to sell me for about 10 yrs now.....
Otto

Offline Old Chief

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #102 on: January 01, 2015, 12:46:00 AM »
I have purchased two of Shawn's (Ringneck) knives. Very nice to look at and they are the real deal. You can get them extremely sharp and they stay sharp. I cleaned, boned out,a deer and a pig, and never had to touch up the edge. An excellent investment in my opinion.

Online Tom

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #103 on: January 01, 2015, 07:05:00 AM »
I also have 3 of Shawn's knives and agree that they are the real deal. Sharp as all get out and hold an edge. Personal record is I dressed out 7 deer and 2 turkeys before touching up the edge. Good pricing for a piece of functual art.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #104 on: January 01, 2015, 08:01:00 AM »
 My favorite knife is Ron LaClair's Randall Model 19 that I've been badgering him to sell me for about 10 yrs now.....  
This one?....   :nono:  

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #105 on: January 01, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
Wow Ron.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #106 on: January 01, 2015, 01:52:00 PM »
I tried over 20-25 production blades and kept logs of what all I liked and disliked about all of them.  Then I designed this blade to be used primarily as a small game (rabbit and squirrel) knife yet capable of also working in a hog or deer as needed.  I traded my compound bow for it and a bushcraft knife from Mark Hill and had him make them to match my bow.  Mark liked my design so well he used it and a larger version of it to replace his entire line of hunting knives (7 models) after making mine and playing around with it.  It doesn't look all that special but its one of those knives that just works well.

It's 7.25" OAL with a 2 7/8" blade in O1 steel.  The blade length is just long enough to match my finger when choked up on the blade and my pointer is laid across the spine.  The spine is slightly rounded to prevent tearing gloves when working in a hog.  The edge has a continuous curve as that aids in slicing motions.  The full flat grind with a convex secondary bevel lets you slice off silverskin with ease and maintains sharpness exceptionally well.  The tip is strong enough to place on a squirrel or rabbit hip bone and split it or work it through a shoulder/knee joint to pop those apart.  The false guard allows you to feel where the blade starts when inside a rib cage but doesn't protrude and get in the way.  The scales are cut back to allow it to ride closer to the skin without the handles at the spine getting in the way.  The handle shape is rounded to fit the palm with flatish sides making it easy to control in twisting/scraping motions inside large pelvic bones and other flat bones. No lanyard hole to collect crud.  Brass and cocobolo to match my bow.

My "litmus test" for sharpness:  Take a hair from my wife's brush and see if it'll make curls without splitting the hair in two.  This curl wasn't made with my hunting knife but all my knives are sharpened in the same process and can do this with equal results...

1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #107 on: January 01, 2015, 06:44:00 PM »
I just got this a couple days ago with a little spending money I got for Xmas.  

It is a Santino Marani custom 'upswept skinner'.  Bladesmith hails from Kentucky.  Blade is bead blasted ATS-34 heat treated by Paul Bos with a hollow ground profile.  It's a pretty high mass knife and will be my hog and deer knife. 10" overall.  Almost 1/8" thick tang to blade!!  Stabilized spalted maple handle with stainless pins.  

I was blown away when I unpacked it.  The knife is such a fine piece and very well made.

52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #108 on: January 01, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by awbowman:
Wow Ron.
You can say that again........NICE!!!
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline grizzlyxx

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #109 on: January 01, 2015, 09:10:00 PM »
My favorite knife got retired this year.  Old timer sharp finger my dad bought me for Christmas in 1979 when I was nine for my first hunting knife.  It's skinned a lot of critters and is starting to resemble a toothpick, it's be sharpened so much. Made out good steel back then, now made out of crap from China.  My son bought me a Buck pathfinder to replace it for Christmas.  I'm 44 now, if it last as long as last one may never need another one.

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #110 on: January 01, 2015, 09:52:00 PM »
Like the brushcraft design, have seen a Benchmade and a custom with that blade design and was sorely tempted both times.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline JDinPA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #111 on: January 02, 2015, 06:33:00 PM »
That is a nice looking knife. Is the maker a sponsor here?

Originally posted by GDPolk:
I tried over 20-25 production blades and kept logs of what all I liked and disliked about all of them.  Then I designed this blade to be used primarily as a small game (rabbit and squirrel) knife yet capable of also working in a hog or deer as needed.  I traded my compound bow for it and a bushcraft knife from Mark Hill and had him make them to match my bow.  Mark liked my design so well he used it and a larger version of it to replace his entire line of hunting knives (7 models) after making mine and playing around with it.  It doesn't look all that special but its one of those knives that just works well.

It's 7.25" OAL with a 2 7/8" blade in O1 steel.  The blade length is just long enough to match my finger when choked up on the blade and my pointer is laid across the spine.  The spine is slightly rounded to prevent tearing gloves when working in a hog.  The edge has a continuous curve as that aids in slicing motions.  The full flat grind with a convex secondary bevel lets you slice off silverskin with ease and maintains sharpness exceptionally well.  The tip is strong enough to place on a squirrel or rabbit hip bone and split it or work it through a shoulder/knee joint to pop those apart.  The false guard allows you to feel where the blade starts when inside a rib cage but doesn't protrude and get in the way.  The scales are cut back to allow it to ride closer to the skin without the handles at the spine getting in the way.  The handle shape is rounded to fit the palm with flatish sides making it easy to control in twisting/scraping motions inside large pelvic bones and other flat bones. No lanyard hole to collect crud.  Brass and cocobolo to match my bow.

My "litmus test" for sharpness:  Take a hair from my wife's brush and see if it'll make curls without splitting the hair in two.  This curl wasn't made with my hunting knife but all my knives are sharpened in the same process and can do this with equal results...

Offline bisket

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #112 on: January 02, 2015, 11:06:00 PM »
Best hunting knife for me is the Buck 103 in the 440C.  Great all around knife that holds a great edge once you get it there.  That takes some practice.

Best EDC knife is this KaBar Phat Bob Dozier knife.  I rehandled with some nice Tiger Maple, stonewashed blade and drilled out liners with added spacers and custom thumb pin.  [/url] [/IMG]
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after.
-Henry David Thoreau

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2016, 11:06:00 AM »
Let's bring this back up, I like looking at knives!
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline slowbowjoe

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2016, 11:59:00 AM »
Just thought I'd share an update to my post on the first page of this thread. My new favorite is an exact replacement of the Buck 112 I carried for 30 years, and lost.

After posting on the classifieds that I was looking for this specific knife, a fellow TG'er contacted me some time later. Same knife, same vintage, same steel in the blade, same wood for the scales... never been used, but kept in his truck for many, many years, with a very touching personal story about the knife sent to me after I received it. Won't share that story, as said it's something personal; but I'll carry that knife with with some special regard, hopefully 'till I no longer can use one.

Offline Pryor

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2016, 01:07:00 PM »
I use a Cutco drop point hunter.  Nothing fancy, but great steel that holds an edge.  I like a rubber handle for the grip when things get bloody.  

My dad finds their old kitchen knives at garage sales with their blades sharpened down to nothing and sends them back for new knives for the cost of shipping.

My dog chewed up my sheath a couple years ago, and I sent it in.  Cutco sent me a new sheath no questions asked!!!  Great Knives, great company.
Learn to work, and you can learn to do anything.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2016, 01:13:00 PM »
I saw a post on another bowhunting site from I believe Idaho Curt, anybody know what his company name is or how I can get in contact?
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Pops

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #117 on: July 08, 2016, 02:58:00 PM »
I have used my Buck Vanguard
for years with no issues.

Offline 2-door

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2016, 05:05:00 PM »

Offline 2-door