3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Favorite knife?  (Read 7259 times)

Offline Snome

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Favorite knife?
« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2014, 11:27:00 PM »
I've a standard Izula that I use a lot. Great size.

Offline pinky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2014, 12:58:00 AM »

I purchased this knife almost 20yrs ago from a friend, Dave Ruana. This RHR Grand FK1 has traveled with me ever since on all my hunts.  I love the balance, heft, and size. This FK 1 boned out a whole elk a few years back without a touch up. Once when I was in his shop space for whatever reason, he whipped me up a stringer for my recurve. I am still using both.   :)  I thought i should post the two of them together.   :)
Martin Hatfeild TD (bearings)RC
Trails End     (Good Medicine) RC
Selway (Lil Shooter) LB
Aspen (Elite) LB

Public Land Hunter

Offline Marc B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2014, 08:03:00 AM »
Case Trapper and a Buck 110.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
Since I carry this one every day of my life I guess it would be my favorite.

Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline awbowman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2014, 08:26:00 AM »
My suggestion would be that you have a matching piece of the chechen sent to Ron and placed on one of his skinners.  Cross draw sheath of course.

Having said that, I do love my Havalon for skinning though.  Simply can't beat it.  Really no need for anything else except a meat saw.
62" Super D, 47#s @ 25-1/2"
58" TS Mag, 53#s @ 26"
56" Bighorn, 46#s @ 26.5"

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2014, 09:18:00 AM »
there are way too many good knives to chose, with lots having quite inexpensive price tags, yet are high in overall quality.  i just look for a decent carbon steel in the blade.  

i prefer smaller knnives in the 2-1/2" to 3" blade length.  don't take length to skin most any critter large or small as long as the blade is Scary Sharp.   can be worn as a neck knife or added to yer quiver, or on yer belt, and stows easily most anywhere.  

i see absolutely no need for a long blade unless yer in a survival situation and need to cut down trees as well as skin skwerls.

the gfs knives are excellent quality and value, imho.  sharpen well, very durable.  skinned a hog with one, quite satisfied with its performance.  and they look olde tyme cool, to boot.  highly recommended.

i've handled and sheathed quite a few helle blades, i like 'em lots, all are fine.

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2014, 09:37:00 AM »
Originally posted by Stumpkiller:
That's tough. I have a lot of knives that I like.

For bowhunting I have two that I treasure.

My Izula II carried as a neck knife - this is a field dressing champion.  Small, sharp and 100% useful.  This is my go-to knife for field dressing whitetails.

And my Benchmade Activator 201 in D2 steel - takes a mediocre edge and holds it forever.  Seriously, it was a BEAR to initially get where I wanted but with diamond stones like an LMK it will take a nice edge.

I think that Izula II is gonna be my next knife!  Love the layout and specs!  Seems to be a super blade for the price.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online Rob DiStefano

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
    • Cavalier Pickups
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2014, 09:44:00 AM »
custom silver stag antler handled crown knife that was presented to me by the council of the traditional archers of new jersey - an awesome knife!  i'm afraid to take it in the woods!    :D  

IAM ~ The only government I trust is my .45-70 ... and my 1911.

Online Ray Lyon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2014, 09:52:00 AM »
That's a beauty Rob. I can see why you'd be afraid to take it in the woods.
Tradgang Charter Member #35

Offline Ratatat

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2014, 09:58:00 AM »
I like my woodsman pro from Blind horse.   It is a stout blade for sure.  The dangler sheath is nice once you get used to it.

Offline finkm1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2014, 10:08:00 AM »
I carry a western stag handle like the knives in the Fred Bear kit. I've had it for over 30 years.
"When in Rome, DO Rome"

"Expect more than others think is possible"

Offline 1flyfish

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2014, 10:25:00 AM »
I to like a smaller blade for regular field dressing,have a knife made with s30v with a 21/2 in blade that works great but for total comfort and balance love my old Old timer sharpfinger with 1095 steel.
JD Berry Morningstar
Howard Hill Tembo
McBroom ASL
"Keep em flying straight"

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2014, 10:36:00 AM »
Here's my knife from Lin.

Some may think the blade is too large for hunting. Not me. It is actually a little over 5.5 inches. The balance is perfect and I can do almost everything with this knife. Caping, though, is a different matter.    :saywhat:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Diamond Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2014, 10:44:00 AM »
I have several Dozier knives and a couple of Fallknivens that are good, but my favorite skinning knife is a Spyderco special edition folder that is now made by another company under the name of the guy the knife is named after, although I can't think of his name right now.  The folder has a skinning blade on it and micarta handles and is very heavy duty.  Doziers are great but hard to find in certain models and the wait to have one made is quite long now.  A. G. Russell sometimes has them in stock, but not a great variety of models.
“Sometimes the shark go away, sometimes he wouldn’t go away.” Quint, from Jaws

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2014, 10:49:00 AM »
I use an AG Russell folding semi skinner. I generally like a small 3in semi skinner for all game processing. You need a sharp knife not a big one.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2014, 11:09:00 AM »
Do I like custom knives,  HECK YAH!!!!  Pricey though....I have a couple I would never part with.  That being said,  hands down my favorites and absolute best bang for the buck are production....ESEE!!!!  ANY ESEE!  Just a USA made,  no B.S. blade that is battle proven tuff,  made of good steel that is easy to keep razor sharp and holds its edge.  An ESEE will never let you down.  Best warranty in the business too....no questions AND transferable LIFE!  Do anything to it to cause damage,  ESEE will REPLACE!!! No questions asked!  The Izula II is also one of my favs and is with me always.  I currently keep 2 Izula II's, an ESEE 3,4 and a 6 I use periodicaly.  The Izulas and the 3 are my go-to's.

Offline Ric O'Shay

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2014, 11:13:00 AM »
Originally posted by bigbadjon:
I use an AG Russell folding semi skinner. I generally like a small 3in semi skinner for all game processing. You need a sharp knife not a big one.
Jonathan -
Do you know what is better than a small sharp knife? That's right! It is a big sharp knife.    :bigsmyl:
I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just.   - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Turkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2014, 01:30:00 PM »
I dont have a "Keith Murr" knife per sey but I do have 2 customs made by his son Scott and another made by Rick Adams. Rick was trained by and worked for Keith for several years. All three knives are awesome hunting knives and can skin and quarter 3 to 4 deer and still b very sharp. That said my daily carry and most used is my yellow handle Case trapper with carbon blades given to me by my dad. Great knife that I love.
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Offline IronJohn

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2014, 01:31:00 PM »
I have two favorites........a Schrade LB7 that's 35 years old and a Bark River Classic Drop Point Hunter with stag handle..............IJ
Fedora Bows, Easton Arrows, BigJim Quivers & Bear Razorheads!

Offline ISP 5353

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2014, 01:38:00 PM »
For field dressing deer I love my Buck Vanguard.  For general camp task and stuff I like my BHK Platoon Scout.  For bushcrafty type stuff and hiking I like my Skookum Bush Tool or my BHK boattail scandi.

I have lots of favorite knives!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©