3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Help me: too many camo choices  (Read 1481 times)

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
Help me: too many camo choices
« on: December 23, 2014, 10:30:00 PM »
I have not bought any camo/hunting clothes since the 1980s. I have aged. My camo shrunk.  It looks like the companies are selling a lot of similar stuff now days. Living in the Midwest has its disadvantages. Cold and wind. Daily.

Could someone help me/guide me to selecting some new duds that will keep me warm?  I don't really care about being hidden. I know that camo isn't necessary. I can no longer pretend that I don't need some new hunting clothes. Thanks.

justin
Hill

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Help me: too many camo choices
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 11:10:00 PM »
More and more I find myself wearing wool jackets from Teresa Asbell.  Lots of great plaids to choose from that will blend in well in the midwest.  

If you are looking for a more conventional camo pattern I really like Predator. St. Joe River Bows is a dealer and can fix you up.  Check them out from the sponsor list.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 11:16:00 PM »
What ever you wear, go for natural fibers like wool. They blend in the best. You are correct in saying you don't need camo. Lots of good sponsors here, also army surplus..... many choices. I just use what is comfy for me.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2014, 12:48:00 AM »
When the temps dropped here in the teens with a decent wind, I was very comfortable with my Bomber Jacket with Holofil.

Lightweight, a tad bulky but I didn't have to layer as much and was very warm. The Holofil acted as a wind breaker also. Pants....wool. My hat was also insulated with Holofil. As a ground hunter who sits in natural blinds, it's important I stay warm to cut down on movement.
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline Iowabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 01:06:00 AM »
I like First Lite merino wool and also Natural Gear Fleece w/windblocker if you arent stalking.
Associate PBS member NRA member DU and Pheasants Forever

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 01:34:00 AM »
You cant go wrong with wool...  :thumbsup:
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline attack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 02:04:00 AM »
If you can find it... Columbia Gallatin range wool. By far the least expensive wool you will find and the stuff is amazing.

CheckMate Firebird 56" 57#@28
CheckMate Falcon Special 60" 52#@28
Shakespeare Supe Necedah 54" 45#@28
Bear Blackbear riser 40# Sage limbs

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 03:15:00 AM »
For your outer layer, find something with a wind stop in it.  I can handle cold temps but the wind is the real killer...

Offline Skipmaster1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2014, 04:17:00 AM »
I love my cabelas wooltimate with wind shear. The stuff really keeps you warm

Offline sweet old bill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 04:22:00 AM »
when I started it was WW II camo and or nothing, now I think they have about 50 brands...
you should see how I use to shoot
Sand dune archers Myrtle beach SC
Senior archers of Oneonta NY

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 08:20:00 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Decisions decisions decisions. What surprises me is the PRICES have gone way up since the 80's

I had swanndri and gray wolf. They were pretty good. I am not opposed to newer materials.
Hill

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 08:21:00 AM »
Greg is spot on about the wooltimate from Cabelas. The outfitter camo pattern is one of may favorites as well. It goes on sale often and the value is hard to beat. It really shines when the wind picks up.
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 08:25:00 AM »
While I have been an old school 4th generation north woods wool believing guy- I also have shifted to newer material simply because it is lighter and dries far easier. For high country adventure the new high tech stuff like Sitka, former Russell, First Lite can not be beat.  My midwest is the likes of Predator Camo brand or DayOne Fleece.  Thick polar fleece (with windstop for sure) is dead quiet, deadly break up, and much lighter than wool.  I still use wool as lighter base (merino) and mid layers for sure.  Outer stuff is rarely wool anymore.

Predator Camo brand
Day One has a variety of materials
First Lite Merino wool stuff

Dan in KS
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2014, 08:30:00 AM »
What ever layer touches the skin is the most important, IMO. A good wicking material that's comfortable to the touch. For me, some of the new fleece blends are my favorite. Couple that w/ some unobtrusive color cover layer of desire weight, and enjoy hours of comfort afield.

Offline Ron Vought

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2014, 08:31:00 AM »
Silent Predator wool is what I wear. Great quality and priced right. I also like First Lite merino wool base layers and also their Kanab pants.

Ron

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2014, 10:14:00 AM »
and more possibilities....

thanks guys!
Hill

Offline PaPaFrank

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 24, 2014, 10:19:00 AM »
Hey Justin, you can't go wrong with First Lite merino wool as base. A little pricey but well worth it.
Keep it Simple
TGMM  Family of the Bow
PBS

Offline Justin Falon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 24, 2014, 10:20:00 AM »
I sent them an email last night. Looks like they are pretty much sold out of my sizes. I really like the Labrador full zip sweater. Priced right and would make a darn good xmas present to myself.

Thanks Frank.

justin
Hill

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2014, 10:50:00 AM »
I've had Filson pants and vest for about the last 18 - 20 years and a Grey Wolf jacket for at least 12 years. The stuff still looks new.

The biggest game changer for me was switching to the Firstlite merino baselayers this past year.Previously I had a mix of smartwool and thermastat thermals.
For the firtlite I started with the longsleeve Llano and then also picked up a 1/4 zip Chama. Those two tops with a filson vest and Grey Wolf jacket really is a great combo and will cover a wide temp range.

For the head I also picked up the Firstlite blacalava and it too made a huge difference in comfort. I wore that balacalava for spring turkey hunt and early fall deer and it was not hot. Then again in the cold spell we had in november i wore it with a smartwool beanie under my ghillie hat and was fine down to 15 degrees.
In fact I liked that firstlite merino wool so much I bought  a balacalava to wear under my hard hat for powerlineman work and also another llano longsleeve.

If Firstlite doesnt have the stuff do a search on amazon cause thats where I got all my firstlite stuff. some was shipped right from firstlite and others were from other dealers.

Offline Fastltz

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2014, 11:07:00 AM »
I love my first lite...very light and warm and seems to be quite durable. I layer merino wool sweaters I got online cheap and I also hit the goodwill for wool sweaters.
1 Peter 3:15 ...always be ready to give a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©