3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Penetration failure  (Read 729 times)

Offline bowdude

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Penetration failure
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2007, 01:22:00 PM »
Not to be insulting so don't take it that way, if the chronograph is right, at the poundage you are shooting the bow is a poor performer.  That is the majority of the problem.  Plus you probably hit the shoulder blade.

Offline razorsharptokill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2007, 02:14:00 PM »
I've been there... it is a bad deal. Two years ago I hit the shoulder on a doe that in hindsight was actually quartering toward me a little. Ended up the same as yours. Don't give up though.
Jim Richards
Veteran

USMC 84-88
Oklahoma Army National Guard 88-89
USMCR 89-96 Desert Storm
Oklahoma Air National Guard 2002- present. Operation Iraqi Freedom 2005(Qatar) and 2007(Iraq),
Operation New Dawn Iraq 2011,
Operation Enduring Freedom 2018 Afghanistan.
NRA Life Member.

Offline Leland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2007, 07:32:00 PM »
More blood on one side of the shaft then the other.Sounds like the arrow may have hit bone and deflected,ending up between muscle & the hide.Nobody likes to wound an animal,but it is what it is.Learn and move on. Good Luck- Leland

Offline 30coupe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2007, 07:59:00 PM »
I've been there. Last year I shot a big doe at 15 yards. Hit the scapula. It sounded like hitting a board. She took off with my arrow sticking out of her shoulder. Never found blood, arrow or deer despite a five hour search. It happens. The shot was not far from where I was aiming, but it was enough. I was shooting my Mahaska longbow. I don't have a chrono, but it is very fast. I was using a 500 grain arrow with a sharp snuffer on the front. A week later I sent the same type of arrow through the vitals of a doe and into the ground behind her.

Bad hits happen. It is part of archery. It sucks, but you can't call the arrow back, so you have to live with it. I still replay that shot in my mind a lot, but I'm not about to let it keep me from hunting.
Kanati 58" 44# @ 28" Green glass on a green riser
Bear Kodiak Magnum 52" 45# @ 28"
Bodnik Slick Stick longbow 58" 40# @ 28"
Bodnik Kiowa 52" 45# @ 28"
Kanati 58" 46# @ 28" R.I.P (2007-2015)
Self-made Silk backed Hickory Board bow 67" 49# @ 28"
Bear Black Bear 60" 45# @28"
NRA Life Member

Offline Ausable

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2007, 10:47:00 PM »
I completely agree with 30coupe's comments, we should spend more time practicing for the next shot and less time analyzing the possibilities of what everyone else thinks went wrong. I think your set-up is fine, next time an inch one way or the other will do the job. Good luck and keep at it.
McCullough Griffin x 2
Meland Pronghorn
Morrison Shawnee
Migliorato Mohawk

Offline overbo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2007, 06:44:00 AM »
Good arro flight is more important than anything else.Had a 68lbs bow that shot a 780gr arro 175fps.I never could get the thing to shoot a bareshaft clean.Shot a small buck @ 5ydrs and got 1/2 the shaft in him.Later the same year same arro from a 50lbs bow that shot this shaft clean went right thru a large doe @ 12yrds and stuck in the ground.
IMO w/ trad gear it's critical your equiptment is tuned.
Better luck next time.

Offline Bonebuster

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2007, 06:46:00 AM »
If deer weren`t as tough as they are, they would have never evolved to the amazing creatures that they are.

As CKRUSE said, the shoulder can cave in and absorb alot of impact. If KE is relatively low to start, then there is not alot left to punch the arrow through.

I bet he gives stays away from the area you saw him from now on.  ;)

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©