3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Fish Skin Quiver???  (Read 708 times)

Offline sar

• Trad Bowhunter
Fish Skin Quiver???
« on: January 23, 2007, 12:36:00 PM »
Anyone with ideas or plan on how to make one?

Offline TimZeigler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Fish Skin Quiver???
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 03:48:00 PM »
I cant remember if it was here or TBM or Primitive Archer, someone made one out of Sturgeon skin.  It turned out really nice.  Maybe someone else around hear can help out, I'll have to check my back issues.
USMC 1992-2000
PBS Associate Member

Offline The Vanilla Gorilla

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2007, 10:33:00 PM »
The one I remember was in TBM, but it was a couple years ago. This kid used a gar skin. I can't find the article anymore, but here's what I remember about it..

He skinned the gar, fleshed it, and wrapped it around a peice of PVC tubing, so that it could take shape. Thinking maybe he also used some sort of clear laquer to preserve the color, otherwise fish scales just bleach out to a bone color..which in my opinion is kinda cool looking too.

I'm not sure how long he left it out to dry, or how he stitched it up, but gar skin is tough, so he probably punched holes in it stitched it up swith cord or sinew. Probably left it out long enough for it to quit stinking.

Hope this helps..

Cam

Offline Bpaul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 01:38:00 AM »
I remember the gar quiver as well and yea he laquered it to keep it together, keep scales from bleaching out and give it some rigidity.  If I remember right he punched and stitched it like leather, left the tail on and the feathers came out the neck end.  It looked real cool.

Sturgeon would be really pretty as well, tho I don't know if it would stiffen up as well as gar, might need to make some frame or something then put on the sturgeon.
Except during the nine months before he draws his first breath, no man manages his affairs as well as a tree does.  
          -George Bernard Shaw

Offline sar

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 12:39:00 PM »
I'm hoping to shoot a barracuda or two this summer at a wreck I know.

Offline Shakes.602

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 05:46:00 PM »
Now  THOSE   BAD-BOYS  would make an Awsome Quiver, or 2!! Good Luck and I would Love to see the Pictures as You Go!!
    :campfire:         Go Get 'Em SAR!!   :archer:
"Carpe Cedar" Seize the Arrow!
"Life doesn't get Simpler; it gets Shorter and Turns in Smaller Circles." Dean Torges
"Faith is to Prayer what the Feather is to the Arrow" Thomas Morrow
"Ah Think They Should Outlaw Them Thar Crossbows" A Hunting Pal

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©