3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: November 15th. A Special Day in KS. . . and a Special Beast!  (Read 1749 times)

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
November 15th. A Special Day in KS. . . and a Special Beast!
« on: December 30, 2014, 04:24:00 PM »
Nov 15th came to be a special day in my KS deer vigil this year.  

I had found a new spot during my spring turkey hunting that really intrigued me for the rut.  I studied the access, planned on a tree, and placed it in my arsenal if the conditions would align in 6 months. . . .            

. . . Nov 15th came in the midst of the KS rut as mature bucks were locking down for the most part.  It was in the low 20s, snow, and the wind was good for a few different key locations that had not been touched for the year. . .   and it was perfect for the new site I had recognized in the spring.  This is the beauty of always hunting portable.  My decision was made and I would need to access it before daylight, and remain all-day.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: November 15th. A Special Day in KS. . . and a Special Beast!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 04:50:00 PM »
Pull up a chair....   :coffee:       :coffee:       :coffee:

Bernie

Offline Paul/KS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 04:59:00 PM »
I'd been wondering how your season went Dan.
Guess we'll be finding out now...
   :campfire:

Offline Keith Zimmerman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 05:24:00 PM »

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 05:33:00 PM »
Paul (and others reading). . .  before the rest of the story. . .  

I have to say this was one of the most amazing/blessed years I ever had. I hunt non-exclusive ground.  No cameras, food, pre-set stands, etc.  In the end- it is all a gift!  I usually am pleased with 1-2 true mature buck (4+ yr old) encounters per year. 2012 and '13 were a drought on buck harvests.  This year, between Nov 1 and this story on Nov 15th- I had 5 different mature buck encounters, all first time season sits in different areas.  4 of those where the run/gun set-ups. Some really close. . . It was just crazy. . .  Should have bought a lottery ticket!  

Anyway- back to the Nov 15th craziness. . .
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2014, 05:36:00 PM »
The access took some work- the creek was swollen with water- and things were just a bit different than spring.  I finally arrived well into pink light- later than I would have liked.  

I accessed the site via a very steep slope, pulling myself up on small tree trunks. Hunting like this-never being set-up here before- I really appreciate my stand/stick/steps and turk vest versatility.  At the slope crest I had to climb a fully limbed cedar about 4-5” in dia.  I then placed my stand on an adjacent tree.  I was set by actual sunrise about 12’ up.  The cedar gave me some cover and it was like a front row at the theater!

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2014, 05:42:00 PM »
:campfire:  you have my attention.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
I surveyed possible key shooting lanes on undisturbed ground as it sloped up gently in front of me.  At 20 yds my shooting opps would actually place deer almost on level with my line of sight on stand. The steep access from behind prevented deer from coming in downwind of me. I suspected they would likely follow a gentler slope to my south keeping off my access route and upwind of me.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2014, 06:51:00 PM »
Within 30 minutes of cooling down I was just putting on my final clothing when I looked up- and at virtually eye level at 20 yds stood a 5 x 5!  Crap!! My bow was not even in my hand. . . my boots were not even on! Within seconds I recognized he was not mature yet (I look for beams out to the white of the nose, mass equal to white eye patches, that distinct large nose/head, and pony looking body).  Gosh- he did not even look at me in my theater seat.  I just breathed a sigh and watched him walk off. . . next year though!  :)

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2014, 06:57:00 PM »
This sounds like a pretty good story brewing!

Bisch

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2014, 07:27:00 PM »
Just poured a cup of coffee  :campfire:
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2014, 07:31:00 PM »
Within the next hour it was clear the movie was playing and my suspicions/expectations from back in the spring were accurate.  In that first hour I had one doe family and 4 different buck encounters - some within 15 yds and just a few feet below my stand.  None of them even glanced at me.

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
It snowed all morning.  The day was so similar to my early hunting days 40 years ago in Northern Michigan.  I have photos from 5 generations of deer hunters. . .some big bucks. . . buck pole at the court house. . no school. . .  Fred Bear at the local coffee shop.  It was cold, damp, overcast. . .  and that “magic” in the air. I reminisced how here Nov 15 was actually the opening day of deer rifle season back in my roots.  “Special” is a good word.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2014, 07:47:00 PM »
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline akaboomer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2014, 07:52:00 PM »
Tuned in. Like where this is going.

Chris

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2014, 07:54:00 PM »
Already a good one!

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2014, 07:57:00 PM »
BTW-  I will come back to this story, but seriously . . it JUST occurred to me. . .  I posted this linked story in 2010.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=097741;p=1

The deer in that 2010 story began to give me clues that led to finding the spot in this current 2014  story.  Amazing- as the 2010 deer died within 25 yards of all I am sharing now.  Oh my!  This is so cooool. . .

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2014, 08:05:00 PM »
The morning progressed with no disappointment as a few bucks hung around and some even sparred in front of me.  One kept walking around like a teenager who can’t seem to relax. . .  if you know what I mean (it was hilarious!).  I wish I had taken pics. The side posturing etc. was just a cool show from my front row seat!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©