3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Weight forward (Heavy broadhead verse a combination)  (Read 304 times)

Offline Biggamefish

• Trad Bowhunter
Weight forward (Heavy broadhead verse a combination)
« on: December 31, 2014, 01:47:00 PM »
Ok so in T.B.M it was stated that instead of using a brass insert to get your weight forward just use a heavier broadhead.

Has anybody ever fooled with this?  I was thinking it shouldn't make that much of a difference which way you go with arrow flight.  200 grns upfront is 200 grns upfront, right?  Then  I got to thinking that the brass inserts might strengthen the end of the arrow and get more penetration if you hit something. Although there are more parts to fail if using a brass insert etc.

What are your thoughts?
“Respect nature and its ways, for it will teach you more than you know.”   M.P.

Online Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Weight forward (Heavy broadhead verse a combination)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 05:19:00 PM »
A brass insert moves a bit more of the weight rearward inside the shaft, thus reducing the FOC a bit, probably .25%, not enough to worry about.  Similarly, a longer broadheadof the same weight as a shorter one will move the FOC marginally forward.  

If you're using carbon arrows, you generally have to use an aluminum or brass insert, into which you screw an adaptor mounted with a broad head.  Brass may be a tad stronger, but not enough to worry about on deer size critters. Regardless, usually the adaptor bends before anything happens to the insert.

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 06:05:00 PM »
If the weight is in the broadhead instead of the insert, the FOC will be just a bit higher.

I say it does not matter at all. Whichever arrow is better tuned is the one that will perform best.

Bisch

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
Bisch is right on the money
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Whip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 10:09:00 PM »
I'd agree.  Whether the weight is in the insert or Broadhead there is not enough difference to be able to notice.
PBS Regular Member
WTA Life Member
In the end, it is not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. Abraham Lincoln.

Offline Turkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 12:07:00 AM »
I use both. I use the aluminum inserts that come with my arrows and screw in a 200gr VPA broadhead. On my practice/stumping arrows i use 100gr brass insert and 125gr heads. This gives me almost unlimited choices of heads to use and plenty of foc. I can tell no difference in arrow flight or point of impact and i have the same overall arrow weight.
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©