3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shoulder surgery  (Read 790 times)

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
shoulder surgery
« on: December 31, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
Well had the rotator cuff tear repaired on 12/10.First year in over 40 I did'nt get to bow hunt,except couple in military.Went from 65lb bow to 40 and not able to hunt.I just hope I can get a full recovery as the pt is'nt a possibility till I can get back to work.Tough knowing other shoulder needs it to.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shoulder surgery
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 05:38:00 PM »
Hey Swamp.
I just scheduled my 3rd rotator cuff surgery for the 22nd. I had my right done about 12 years ago, the left 6 or so years back and now it's the right again. You'll prolly have another dozen folks tell you that rehab is the most important part. A shoulder can freeze up with scar tissue if it isn't rehabed properly. I got 95% of my strength back after each of the last surgeries, I hope this next one will go as well. Prayers your way. Jim
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 06:52:00 PM »
I think I will stick to my 48#s and save some surgeries.
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
Good luck with your recovery! I dread the day i have to deal with something like that!

Bisch

Offline tracker12

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 08:19:00 PM »
I have had 3 cuts on the right shoulder and one on the left.  If you choose a good doc and follow the PT routine you should do ok.
T ZZZZ

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 08:22:00 PM »
Swamper, had rotator cuff and torn bicept surgery on 10/31.  In second week of PT,  Fully expect no change in my pre surgery bow weight  Will be 65 in April!  Be positive, due your homework.  Good luck.
"They're all trophies"

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 08:47:00 PM »
I've had rotator cuff surgery twice and a repaired labrum/bone spur removal...all in right shoulder. I feel it some days but I stuck to my PT and strength came back...man theres nothing worse than everyday life with a busted up shoulder!
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline Otto

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 11:22:00 PM »
No torn RC, but having a bone spur removed off my left shoulder.

Anxious to get it done and start rehabbing ASAP.
Otto

Offline Blueridge

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
Had Spur and tear surgeries in both shoulders some years back. Had a great doctor ( trad guy ) good PT and was back to speed in 6 months or so. Key is don't rush things , do your exercises and gradually increase bow weight. You should be fine given time.
Good luck.
Isaiah 1:18-20 Come now let us reason together, says the Lord.

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
I get my cuff tears and a bone spur removed on Jan 16th. Can't sleep with it like it is so I have to have it fixed.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 11:08:00 AM »
Haven't you guy's ever heard of Indian Clubs ! Though I don't think they'll do anything for bone spurs.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Pat B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
A friend had shoulder surgery about 3 years ago.
He is a man of considerable strength and was up and running in pretty short order.. In fact, now he shoots longbows in excess of 100 pounds, a feat very few could pull off.. At least in his case, the surgery didn't limit the bow weight he could eventually handle..

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 11:21:00 AM »
The sleepless nights were the worst, my wife would find me with my arm in all kinds of crazy positions trying to find a comfortable way to sleep.  Was eating ibuprofin like it was candy. Getting rid of the nagging pain was the best part. I never regained full strenght, but it is all good compared to where it was.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Steelman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »
Is the shoulder tears caused by years of pulling heavy bows, or is it a function of of the way we shoot? I don't see or here of Olympic archers having shoulder problems after years of competition. My wife has had shoulder surgery so I'm trying to avoid it like the plaque.

Offline KevO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
I had surgery a week ago.  Tear & spurs.I don't know about all of you but I am really sore, (post op).  With time & therapy I hope to recover.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 06:18:00 PM »
I hope yall have a quick and complete recovery!
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 06:30:00 PM »
Thanks guys,I hope to get back back to where I was.Also trying to get the other shoulder back in shape but may need that side done as well.My nephew in florida had both his done and is sending me all the stuff he had for rehabing his shoulders.I feel for anyone who can't sleep,I sure can not,been spending nights in a recliner.

Offline mbugland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »
I had rotator SLAP and a pile of other things fixed about 2 years ago now. I would say I went up in bow weight by 10lbs during recovery/PT because I was determined to get back to where I was... Now I am not sure what I am in for... Had an MRI on Wednesday and the doc called before the end of the day to talk about results. I am not very excited, up until the MRI everyone has held to the diagnosis that I tore my Trap muscle, it feels like my shoulder is almost out of socket again, and the pain runs down the outside of my arm to my elbow. All I know is that they didn't do the MRI on my shoulder, they did C-Spine... So any results don't sound promising to me.

Good luck, listen to the doc and the Physical Terrorist, and you will be good to go.  
( now I just Hope I can follow my own advice.)
Shootz!

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
Good luck with the rehab. Follow your PT regimen faithfully and spend your down time sharpening broad heads.
Sam

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2015, 01:11:00 PM »
All the med professionals I've talked with say eh rotator cuff surgery is the second most painful one to have, no one told me the first. just posting this so it doesn't catch you by surprise.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©