3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: shoulder surgery  (Read 788 times)

Offline bowless

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: shoulder surgery
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 05:19:00 PM »
Are these bow related injuries or something else?
Speedy recovery to all!!
Isaiah 53:5  and with his stripes we are healed.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 06:03:00 PM »
Mine aren't bow related, it just relates to my use of a bow. I'm a photojournalist, so lugging camera gear is part of it, 30 years of heating with firewood is most of the rest.
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2015, 12:00:00 AM »
Joe=
Just had rotator cuff surgery last September and missed the entire hunting season! First one in 40 years! What a bummer...the worst part was the sleeping or lack there of! Good luck with your PT

Kenny     :readit:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »
My injury isn't bow related, I tried to muscle out a stuck 4000v breaker out of  its compartment, it won, I lost, this was 30 years ago. With the tear, arteritis and a bone spur, it all combined to make bow shooting difficult. Time to get things fixed.

Offline Ray Johnson

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2015, 01:56:00 PM »
I've had rotator cuff repairs in both shoulders.I had full thickness complete tears in both shoulders.It takes at least 6 months to recover and PT is very important.I'm not 100% in either shoulder but I'm shooting again.45lb longbow.Don't rush recovery.It takes time but you should be ok and back to shooting again.
    I went to sleep in my deerstand several weeks ago and fell.My harness caught me and overall I was ok but I hurt my left shoulder on the harness somehow during the fall.It feels like it could be my rc.I hope not.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 06:01:00 PM »
I'm going out on a limb here, I am 65 years young and with all that not working as it used to, I've had to try many different things because I don't like going under the knife.

I had sciatic back pain for the first time about 8 months ago, couldn't shake it for THREE MONTHS ! Now just so y'all understand I have 5 discs that are whacked and they would love to cut me open, only believe it or not I found out I can keep it in check by working out, but when I got that sciatic pain nothing would work, they said I just have to wait for it to subside. Well I ain't the type to give into anything, my soon to be x brings this little bottle of essential oils home and says here try this. Well after three months of pain I begrudgingly try it. I put it on that night before I go to sleep, it only takes one or two little drops, I wake up the next day and the pain is half of what it was ! I put it on again that night before bed and wake up with NO PAIN ! , and it never came back ! Needless to say I don't go anyplace without this little bottle. Guys with all kinds of nerve pain have begrudgingly tried it since and guess what it worked, maybe not completely all the time but now they don't leave home without it.

It's called Nerve Pain by Forces of Nature, any decent health foodstore should have it and if they ddon't they can order it.

Hope this helps someone !

Good luck.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
My surgery was due to years of physical abuse, not a bow shooting issue, I due shoot my bow daily.  Bottom-line, regardless of your age your body will respond to physical activity. With respect to shoulder  surgery, PT post surgery is paramount. Sustained physical workouts will serve you well to the end. Just do it!
"They're all trophies"

Offline joe skipp

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »
I couldn't pull back 15# bow right handed or even lift up 1 pound box of nails. Started bowhunting left handed...had rotator cuff surgery Feb 2013. Four months of dedicated rehab and I was back shooting right handed...from 55# to 60#.

Hardest part was not rushing, taking my time with the strength exercise and stretching. Now, back to full strength. Listen to your doctor and especially the Therapist. I was out of work 3 months...do not rush!!
"Neal...is this heaven?" "No Piute but we are dam close". Top of the Mtn in Medicine Bow Nat Forest.

Offline mbugland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2015, 10:36:00 PM »
Mine was related to a few to many years on two wheels,  or I guess too many years with those two wheels not staying under me.
My latest pains, MRI says are not shoulder related.... Anyone ever dealt with bulging disks? Specifically discs that are cutting off nerves( numbness and extreme pain shooting down arm and across back.

Not excited about the possibilities of surgery... Was a pretty bad day at the doctor.
Shootz!

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 12:02:00 AM »
Mine was not bow related...had a traumatic footbal injury that required immediate surgery the first time. Follow that by years of wrestling and then dropped 315 bench press on myself (spotters fault lol) and that brought me to the second one...Based on the PT i had i would say drawing a bow correctly and without prior injury would build up your shoulders.
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
I see hundreds, if not thousands, of people each year with damaged rotator cuff tendons.  Almost none as a result of archery.  The same old lightweight argument gets old, particularly with no real evidence to back it up.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2015, 06:35:00 PM »
Hey fellow archers, I go under the knife Thursday about 10:30 a.m. for my right shoulder. Prayers would be much appreciated...
...because bow hunting always involves the same essentials. One hunter. One arrow. One animal. -Don Thomas

Offline Will Cocke 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2015, 10:57:00 AM »
I had 70% full thickness rotator cuff tear,a bicep tendon complete tear fixed, bone spurs removes and arthritis taken off collar bone April the 2cnd 2014.  I hunted Oct 1 2014 with a 53 lb bow have no problems at all shooting any weight bow now.   That was after keeping my arm in a sling for 8 weeks with no pt at all not even stretching. Did it stiffen up, you bet.  Positive mental attitude is what it takes.  

PT is the key also.  Just make sure your pt person you choose is big in sports rehabilitation,  not the ones getting your grandmother back to a normal life.

According to my surgeon, drawing a bow puts less stress on your rotator cuff than is put on the arm holding the bow.  Which makes sense I guess since the first thing the workers comp lady asked me was have you fallen and tried to catch yourself or been in a wreck lately that you tried to keep yourself from hitting the dash.

Offline straight_arrow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
Widowdoublelung is spot on with his comments.  I'm 12 weeks since torn rotator cuff and torn bicept surgery.  Starting shooting again at 10 weeks.  Today at 12 weeks have moved up to 40lbs. with no issues. I'm certain I'll be at full strength, 54 lbs.,  for April turkey!
"They're all trophies"

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
At almost 7 weeks out of sling and only aloud movement therapy.Still a lot of pain and feel like my arms getting weaker it has me concerned.

Offline achigan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2015, 06:15:00 PM »
:wavey:  

Patience Swamper, patience... this is my third time thru this and i know it takes a long while. "The only way out is through" really applies in our case.
Strength will come, in time. If we hurry, it can set us back big time...

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
2012 was my surgery year. It is indeed a long road, but once done with that road it seems like it was nothing.
As said, do not skimp on doing what you are supposed to do. If you decide to "just" try a little more even though they said don't...you made your bed. Don't complain when you set yourself back for another year.
Do what your told, and don't give up when finally on your own and you will excel. Keep working it.
I now shoot whatever bow I choose, I fish for big stripers, I shoot a 12 gauge off my "bad" shoulder, etc. etc.
100% better. You will be too.
You are far from alone, we are here to help you along.
P.S., the looks I got when I showed up with an unstrung longbow as my stretching stick at P.T.!
David M. Conroy

Offline kennyb

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
Swamper-had my surgery last Sept 24th and missed my 40th year hunting with a bow! So, I'm with you brother!
It eases up in time but you have to be patient and do what your PT says! Good luck!

Kenny    :readit:
>>>-------------->
Black Widow-PSA III 60"
Tall Tines Recurve 62"
U.S Army Veteran
U.S. Army Military Police K-9 Corps

Offline YORNOC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
By the way, its going to hurt. Nothing you can do but deal with it.
If a little doe can get hit by a car and get her hind leg smashed to oblivion, then you see her limping along 6 months later still surviving...well that says a lot to me.
Be like the animals we pursue, deal with whatever comes at you and keep moving.
The pain will pass, don't ever, ever let it win.
I saw that little doe for three more years after that before she disappeared. She had fawns the last two times I saw her.
David M. Conroy

Offline swamper

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 08:37:00 AM »
thanks for support..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©