3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: KME Knife Sharpener on Single Bevel Heads  (Read 645 times)

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
KME Knife Sharpener on Single Bevel Heads
« on: December 31, 2014, 06:50:00 PM »
Does anyone sharpen single beveled broadheads using a KME Knife sharpening system?  I got one for Christmas and I can't get the sharpening angle steep enough on my Grizzlies Broadheads.  I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: KME Knife Sharpener on Single Bevel Heads
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 07:25:00 PM »
I just bought some Cutthroat BH's the RMSG just put out and sharpen them on my KME knife sharpener. I called Ron and asked the best method. He told me to use a sharpe and make the cutting edge about half way up. Start with the most course stone, use it until you get a burr. Once a burr is achieved go to your next course stone. DON'T FLIP THE HEAD! Polish the same edge you just hit. After it's polished go to the next step down. Polish that same edge you've been working on. NOW flip the head. With very light pressure and sharpen until you have a little burr on the opposite side. Now go to your finest grit stone. Start on side you've spent the majority of the sharpening. Polish that side, flip BH repeat. Then finish the head off with your typical one stroke a side. When finished the back side of the cutting edge will have a very thin polished line if that makes sense.

I followed these instructions and OH MY!!!! I've never got BH's that sharp. I mean hair popping sharp. If you have any questions let me know.

PS I bought the XX Course diamond stone and it cuts your time in half easy.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline R. W. Mackey

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 07:32:00 PM »
Joe, that's all I use for my single bevel heads. I have a pile of Grizzlies I sharpen every year without problem. Your sharpener will adjust to over 30 deg. The bevels are no where
Near that extreme. The first time I sharpen a head with it, I use a marker and highlight the very edge of the head, I start out at
25 deg. Do a few strokes to see how the stone hits the blade,
Then make adjustments as needed. You only want to sharpen the very edge.
  If you continue to have problems, you can call the guy that
Owns the company and he will walk you through the process.
Great guy, good luck.
RW
Don't practice until you get something RIGHT.  Practice until you Can't do it WRONG.  Dave Rorem

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 07:39:00 PM »
Thanks guys, when I put the head in the clamp and adjust the rod to the top and the stone just hits the inside edge of the bevel (the edge of the bevel away from the sharp edge).  I used a marker to cover the edge making it obvious where the stone was hitting the edge.  I must be doing something wrong.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 07:44:00 PM »
Hmmm the knife system is what I've used for years, can you post a pic. I also found buying the broadhead jaws for 25 dollars was a good investment
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 09:03:00 PM »
The first pic shows the edge where the stone is hitting and the second pic shows the guide up as high as it will go in the slide.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »
Thats an older grizzly head, not sure what the factory angle was cut at. They were famous for requiring a good bit of work to cut the angle down. The new ones Bill at Zipper is making are ground to about 25 degrees at the shop.

Your not doing anything wrong, just that head has a very steep angle cut on it which means ya got a long ways to go.

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 09:28:00 PM »
And yes...I use a KME knife sharpener on mine too.

Offline Trad Longbow Joe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 09:38:00 PM »
Okay, thanks for the comments.  I wanted to be sure I was missing something before I regrind the angle on these heads.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2014, 10:16:00 PM »
What is happening is you need to re-set the bevel first. Follow the simple directions that came with the KME. I use it to sharpen my single bevel BH (Abowyer brown bears) and I must say... look out!   :scared:  sharp!
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2014, 10:34:00 PM »
X2 what Westbrook said
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Offline snakebit40

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 02:46:00 AM »
Sorry should've read your post closer before I posted. I still recommend a diamond XX course stone, I promise you won't regret it.
Jon Richards

Isaiah 6:8 Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”.
>>>>------------>
Schafer Silvertip 71@28
Big River 60" 59@28

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »
Yeah that a really old head. You need to start from scratch and grind down the bevel flat again. Start with your coarsest stone or a large file. After you have the bevel flat all the way up and down the head then you can go with less course stones to fine tune the edge.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Doc Nock

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 09:54:00 AM »
I had Ron talk me thru several various attempts before I got it 100% right...

I even typed up what he told me last time and emailed it to him to make sure I was hearing/doing all steps right...

There are so many tiny nuances in understanding verbal language, that even though simple, I'd recommend touching base with Ron...

But the coarse stone, bh jaws, all make good sense to me!
The words "Child" and "terminal illness" should never share the same sentence! Those who care-do, others question!

TGMM Family of the Bow

Sasquatch LB

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
Use the KME on Abowyer single bevel. When finished they are so sharp you can hardly look at them without losing an eye! Best single bevel head out there.    :thumbsup:

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 12:42:00 PM »
Remember you are only trying to get the very edge sharp not the whole bevel.  With the old grizzly's I used a file first to get the bevel manageable.

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 12:01:00 PM »
Yea I think you might save yourself some time if you hit that with a file first. I use the knife sharpener on single bevel heads and it works great. Good luck!

Offline Recurve50 LBS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »
If I remember correctly Dr. Ashby stated in his articles that the Grizzly heads works best with a 25 degree bevel, requiring you to change the factory bevel with a hand file.

I have done this with my Grizzly heads and then finished off with my KME knife sharpener. As stated by others above, look out because they come out very sharp.
Larry W.

Member TANJ

NRA Life Member

56" 45#@28" Thunder Stick Mag
62" 45#@28" Turkey Creek Longbow
1966 42#@28" Bear Grizley

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »
The extra extra course diamond stone is your friend ! You can get a shaving sharp edge with it, no problem. As others stated use a belt sander or course file to get as much of the factory bevel removed first to save you time and frustration. Once that is done use your sharpie and switch to the KME and XX course diamond to build your new 25 degree bevel. This is a one time process.... once the new bevel is built you can touch up a head in minutes with a course diamond, then medium india, then fine white stone or strop with one of the leather "stones" that KME offers with the CBN honing oil.....  :scared:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©