3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Binocular Harness Recommendations  (Read 803 times)

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
Binocular Harness Recommendations
« on: January 01, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
Hey Guys, I recently posted a couple posts on binocular and monocular recommendations. Thanks to all the guys that responded with all recommendations. It was a wealth of information for a guy that for years had been using a few different cheapo pairs. I wound up purchasing a pair of 6x30 Leupolds Yosemites. I've been glassing the wooded area around my house for a few days now and all I can say is WOW! These are the best darn binoculars I have ever owned. Relative light and compact, crystal clear and sharp. The low light viewing in fantastic as well. And they didn't break the bank either. They're perfect for disecting the hardwoods areas I hunt in.

So I'm going back to the experts. Looking for recommendations for a versital binocular harness. I've looked into a few on-line and the Rick Yound Ultra Lite Binocular Harness caught my eye. Does anyone have any experience with this or other harnesses they can recommend.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline goingoldskool

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Binocular Harness Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2015, 09:50:00 AM »
I have the cabelas brand of stretch harness that keeps the binos up against your chest. Fully adjustable and very functional.  Highly recommended!

God bless,
Rodd
"NO GOD, NO PEACE-KNOW GOD, KNOW PEACE" side of a barn along I-70, eastern Kansas
                                             Rodd Boyer
Blk Widow PL-III
53#@28
Blk Widow PSR X
50#@28

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2015, 09:53:00 AM »
I bought the Sportsman's Warehouse version of the ones Rodd mentioned and I'm completely happy with the purchase.
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
I just bought a Cabelas brand that was on sale for $15. SO far very pleased with them. It was the exact same pair a buddy has been using for years and I tried his before buying. On another note IF your binoculars come equipped for a tripod (front cap of hinge screws off and tripod screws in it) Vortex makes a binocular lock that screws in there to lock them in place. VERY handy especially for harness as they want to squeeze your binoc's together when you raise them. Once locked in place you can pull up binoc's with one hand and only have to focus.
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline sleepyhollow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 10:10:00 AM »
I'm looking at the badlands bino harness myself and can recommend the vortex bino-lock mentioned above

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »
I suggest you experiment to see what feels right for you.  STart with cheap.  Mount them on a piece of 550 cord just long enough to hang over one shoulder and have it sit at belt level on the opposite side.  It is easily available, out of the way, the 550 cord moves quietly across your shirt or jacket when you move the binos up to view.  Small binos can then be put inside a belt mounted pocket or a jacket pocket to protect them.

The next step will cost no more, the Wensels seem to like this one.  Basically the same set up, but much shorter cord, then the binos go over the neck and sit just under the chin, low enough to be out of the way and leave enough to be raised comfortably to view.

The next step will be a full chest harness.  I have one and use it sometimes (I tend to use the first scenario).  I don't know that there is a ton of difference between the various brands.

Try them all !  Then choose.
ChuckC

Offline Surewood Steve

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2015, 10:27:00 AM »
Look in to Bino Bro. by The Pack Works out of Bend Oregon.  Holds the glasses close to your chest so you can shoot without the string hitting them.  Can also be used to carry extra flies when fishing with waders.  Karl is also a archer and comes to shoots in Oregon.
"If you don't shoot wood arrows out of your Trad bow it is like taking your split bamboo fly rod and fishing with worms and a bobber."

Offline paradocs

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2015, 10:30:00 AM »
Got the Rick Young Ultra lite for Christmas and really like it. Also got an extra set of the quick release rings, so now can switch between my Swaros and Minox compacts in seconds. I tend to wear it as a sling, with the binos below my left armpit, but works great as conventional harness or neck strap...rapid adjustment. Great product; ordered the single post attachment model for our camcorder.

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2015, 11:51:00 AM »
Dang this is why I have a love hate relationship with this site! LOL Those Rick Young Ultra Lite harness's look like a sweet set up! Ready to pull the trigger but my only concern is that the smaller cord may not be as comfortable with light clothing on! Not much of a problem for me though as my binoc's are mid size and relatively light and use mostly in cooler temps with extra clothes on. Ah heck I'm going to try them! Thanks paradocs!
Most people get rich by making more money than they have needs, me, I just reduced my needs!

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »
LC, yeah the Rich Young harness looks like a great solution. I like all the options possible vs it just being a single harness. The cord looks like standard 1/8 inch shock cord. It seems like it will stretch and conform to your body vs dig in like regular cordage.

I was thinking I could whip something as a DIY project but I just can't figure out the cord adjustment system.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 12:44:00 PM »
Bino-pac.

Very comfy, can quick release unclip the binos if needed without removing harness.  Only around $35.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline ALDO

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 01:18:00 PM »
I have tried a lot of harnesses as well and have settled on the ones supplied by Kuiu.  I have both the large and XL.  THey stay put and I can shoot with them on and they protect the binos great.  
ALDO
"One does not hunt in order to kill; on the contrary, one kills in order to have hunted."
     Jose Ortega y Gasset

Offline Gdpolk

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
    • Polk Knives
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »
I use and like my Leupold harness.

It keeps them right where you need them and out of the way of the string plus it doesn't let them flop around like a neck strap when walking and stalking.

The leather on the back is thick and strong.  The straps are elastic all the way around which lets you keep them high and tight but still glass and lets you fit them tight with a coat but not be sloppy when you take it off as it warms up.  I'll never go back to neck carry.
1pc and 2pc Sarrels Sierra Mountain Longbows - both 53.5lbs @ 29"

https://www.gpolkknives.com/

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 01:42:00 PM »
I have the kuiu one, very nice, used it mountain goat hunting in 2014,and for several scouting hikes.  Love it especially for trad shooting totally feels good and is out of the way.

only down fall they are in that 85.00 range.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 04:11:00 PM »
I use a coated steel leader and attach a another snap swivel to the opposite  end from the swivel already on the leader, then I carry the binos around my neck and under my right arm. The system is light and cheap and the binos are out of the way  I have several bino harnesses but then are bulk and in the way. Just something to consider.

Offline hunting badger

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 04:12:00 PM »
I use a coated steel leader and attach a another snap swivel to the opposite  end from the swivel already on the leader, then I carry the binos around my neck and under my right arm. The system is light and cheap and the binos are out of the way  I have several bino harnesses but then are bulk and in the way. Just something to consider.

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
Here's one I just made for the New Year!

http://rysanpei.blogspot.com/2014/12/my-bino-harness.html

Offline LC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2015, 06:09:00 PM »
That's REALLY cool S2! I can relate. I always enjoy your well put together videos and have learned a lot watching them.  I'm always "customizing" my own gear even to the point for the last 15 years I make my own recurves , knifes, strings, fletching, arrows, taxidermy and butcher my own wild game. Thanks for posting!
With that said I still like the looks of Rick Young Ultra lite binoc harness basically because it does all that if you watch his video and see the various ways it can be used. Like I said before the only draw back I can see with heavy binoc's it may not be the best. Plus this is one of the rare times that I don't think I could make it cheaper! It's very reasonable. Time will tell! I've got one on order!      :)

Offline Ryan Sanpei

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2015, 06:25:00 PM »
Thanks LC! I'll be sure to check it out!

Ryan

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2015, 06:40:00 PM »
Vortex harness works great

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©