3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back home again  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
Back home again
« on: January 23, 2007, 01:17:00 PM »
Well I wish I had as great a story to tell as Jack Shanks, that was one awesome hunt. OK here we go.

As some of you knew the wife and I headed for AZ a couple weeks ago for a winter getaway and a little Coues deer hunting thrown in. To say we picked the wrong time or maybe even the wrong year is an under statement. But it was a great trip anyway.

We left -15º in MT looking forward to the 60's to 80's of southern AZ and drove on snow/ice all the way practically to Las Vegas. It was actually snowing in Vegas, this should have been our first clue   ;)  

We intended to go thru the Grand Canyon area on the way but treacherous roads stopped that, oh well we'd just catch it on the way back   :saywhat:   On the third day of driving we finally made Phoenix and rendezvoused with Terry Petko and his lovely wife Debbie. We had a great visit over some fine Mexican food. Thanks again Terry!

On south we headed almost to the border to where our friends were camping out in the desert. To say I was impressed with the country would be an under statement. I guess I was expecting something like the desert country I’d hunted in south TX. The rugged mountains all around us and 4000’ elevation were a big surprise. The frigid temps were also a surprise as it was getting down into the teens at night. Coming from MT we should have known better but we certainly weren’t prepared. One thing for sure I never wore any of the short sleeved shirts I’d brought and sitting around camp huddled under a blanket wasn’t the kind of relaxing Karen had in mind.  ;)

Long story short my Buddy’s hunting strategy centered around sitting on water holes. The recent rains and temps pretty much put a damper on this but we tried anyway. I got up high a couple times and glassed several deer but my hunting buddy didn’t really want me slipping around spooking the areas deer and figured with the rut kicking in things would get better shortly.

I did manage to get a shot at a spike that came in to water the fourth day of sitting but true to their reputation these little buggers are fast. At the shot things happened pretty quick but there was a thump and virtual explosion of hair. I slowly slipped out of the blind and to the spot to see my arrow lying on the dirt without a drop of blood to confirm the miss. The hair scattered everywhere had come from the sharp WW shaving the top of his shoulders as the arrow passed.

That evening the rain started again with the next morning dawning cold, foggy and wet. Ordinarily I’d celebrate these conditions as the bucks were starting their rut and it was perfect slipping around conditions but again I was told how spooky the deer were and if I went after them I’d just push them out of the area.

We were looking at having to head back in a couple days as our oldest daughter’s wedding was coming up so we decided to load up and head back to sunny Montana  ;)  The return trip was as eventful as the trip down when on the way to the Grand Canyon again we were stopped by snow condition at Flagstaff, AZ and wound up going around thru Vegas again.

It was easy to see these beautiful shy little deer were as great a challenge as I'd heard. I'm certianly looking forward to next time and hoping to get out and do a little chasing myself then.

It was great to meet Terry and Deb and we traveled thru some awesome country which I’d like to go and stomp around in someday. As always it feels good to be home, now to start planning the next trip.
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Offline JC

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Back home again
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 01:29:00 PM »
Great pics Doug. Sure is beautiful country. Guess Karen will have to wait for the trip to the Island to thaw out?   :D
"Being there was good enough..." Charlie Lamb reflecting on a hunt
TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline Scott Smith

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
Sounds like you both had a good time and missed
some colder temps at home. Welcome home.
Scott
He who sacrifices freedom for safety deserves neither.
~Benjamin Franklin

Offline Jack Shanks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 03:32:00 PM »
Doug, It's always nice to be back home but if you are like me you will return. I'm already scheming how I can get back down there next year.

Thanks for sharing.
Jack Shanks

Offline herb haines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 03:50:00 PM »
Doug as always i enjoyed your story , and igives me a lot of pleasure to see you doing it agin .you had me scared a while back but see you must have recovered as good as ever .especilly after reading about your kitty !!!---- herb
"Heaven is just over the next ridge......"

Hello Darlin'

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 05:11:00 PM »
So that's what ya been up to  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:  

Here Robin and I were sure that you was locked in the HOT SHOP makin IRON  :goldtooth:

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 05:16:00 PM »
Was wondering how the trip went and thinking we'd hear something any day now for a while!

Mindi is getting married!?!

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 05:50:00 PM »
Good to see you and Karen made it back safe and sound Doug...... Debi and I both enjoyed meeting you two as well...Kinda funny how you can get toegther with folks you've never met face to face and feel like old friends thanks to the tradgang campfire.... Hopefully when we come up through Montana next year we'll get a chance to swap some more stories and maybe fling an arrow or two....Down the road maybe we can put an AZ hunt together with the Texas bunch .... Might even be able to clear a spot around the fire for Jack if he's so inclined.....   :campfire:  Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 06:34:00 PM »
Howdie Doug!!!!   :wavey:    :campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Huntrdfk

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2007, 07:17:00 PM »
Nice pics Doug, and thanks for sharing the story.

David
TGMM Family of The Bow
PBS Regular Member
Comptons

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell

Online Jack Denbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2007, 08:13:00 PM »
Great story and pix. Almost sounds like one of my normal trips.
Jack
PBS Associate member
TGMM Family of the Bow
Life is good in the mountains

Offline Doug Campbell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
Thanks Guys, it was a fun trip and I'm sure looking forward to next time.

Yep Jack, me too!

Thanks Herb, it feels good to feel good. You don't know what your health is worth till you loose it.

Terry, I do already have a deer tag that's good for next fall, hint, hint  ;)

Yep Steve, she's marryin the AK guy she met up there last summer. They'll be living at Sitka for seven to eight months out of the year. He's a Charter Fishing Boat Captian. Yep your readin my mind, already planning a visit  ;)  

Hmmm... JC, wonder how warm it'll be on an island in AK bout May  ;)  

Hey Vance, probably shoulda been in the shop working but ya gotta get away occasionally.  ;)
Life is wonderful in Montana!!
"BEING CHALLENGED IN LIFE IS INEVITABLE. BEING DEFEATED IS OPTIONAL."
ABS Journeyman Knifesmith

Online Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 09:55:00 PM »
Sounds like a great trip Doug! Huntin those little coues deer with Terry sounds like a winner. Of course the family tie to a fishing boat in Ak sounds pretty good too. Dang boy, glad I don't have your decisions to make.  :D  

Glad to hear you are home safe and feeling good my friend!  :thumbsup:
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline whitebuffalo

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
Absolutely Beautiful trip!

sitting around camp huddled under a blanket wasn’t the kind of relaxing Karen had in mind.
Man, my wife has given me that look before trying to camp in the early spring up here in MI.
TGMM

Offline IB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2007, 10:32:00 PM »
I sure hope that someone remembered to DELETE all those posts where we talked about ole Doug  :banghead:    :banghead:

Offline Tique

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2007, 10:46:00 PM »
Doug, Always nice to hear your stories and know you are feeling good again. Nice pics too!
Untested ideas are not facts.

Offline Randy Morin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 12:35:00 AM »
Glad to hear you got away Doug, sounds like a nice trip with your wife.

Offline AZStickman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2007, 07:53:00 AM »
Hmmmmm...... We were seeing some nice Mulies in my Elk hunting spot last year...... Might be able to squeeze in some Deer before I head up to Colorado for Elk...Maybe get a peek or two at one or two of the 320+ sattelite bulls that hang out there... And the best part ya can spot and stalk or still hunt all ya want..a good bowhunter like you won't booger those mulies out of the country.... I felt your pain having to sit the water holes with all that great country to cover...    :D   Terry
"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it.".. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Steve H.

• SRBZ
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2007, 12:06:00 PM »
Dougie,

Donnie and I were talking about the possibility of renting a substantial boat and the boys go stalk bears while the girls pull hang out and pull shrimp pots!

Hey wait a minute.....the IMPLICATIONS of this are just starting to sink in......OH BOY!!!!  New Opportunities!!!!

Offline Jeff Holchin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2007, 01:31:00 PM »
Arizona sure has some pretty country, as the photos prove; glad that you got to experience it.  Must have been tough not to be able to wander and stalk about.
"He has also made me as a select arrow, He has hidden me in His quiver." - Isaiah 49:2

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©