3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: "Starting a new bad habit", as my wife says  (Read 643 times)

Offline Locogear

• Trad Bowhunter
"Starting a new bad habit", as my wife says
« on: January 05, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »
Hello everyone, I want to attempt a new hobby, along with loading my own shells, arrow fletching. Does anyone know of a good place to get started? Maybe a website with a walk through or a good book? Also, where can I get the tools and jigs, someplace reasonable, good products, and prices that won't try to steal my soul haha. I really enjoy my hobby in archery, though I know little to nothing, so if anyone is near Hammond Louisiana and is looking for someone to go to a shooting range, let me knows because I'm always looking for ways to learn!
The Swamp Bunny

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: "Starting a new bad habit", as my wife says
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 03:45:00 PM »
That's one habit that will bring you a lot of joy, and save you a lot of money in the long run.

3riversarchery.com can get you everything you need.

The essentials:

A jig (Hi price - Bitzenburger, low price - Bohning)
Feathers
Fletching tape or fletching glue (I like Fletch-tite Platinum glue)

Here's a good video:  

Honestly a lot will be trial and error at first. A lot of things like distance you put the feather up the clamp will all change depending on what cut feather you're using, so you'll have to make adjustments as you go, there's no one perfect way to do everything.

I wouldn't recommend using wraps in the beginning either - that way if you mess up you can strip the feather and start again without ruining the wrap.

I'm definitely not an expert, but I can successfully fletch some pretty arrows in no time. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Alex
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

Offline Kip

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 03:56:00 PM »
Welcome Preston I fletch my arrows but that is about all.Cannot make a string but enjoyed my hunting with a bow since 1974.That makes me an old fart.I have a bunch of reloading stuff for sale if intrested.12and 20 ga.Do you frequent Bayou Bucks have them listed there.Again this is a great place to hang out and learn.   :wavey:   Kip

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 04:06:00 PM »
I'm far from an expert...but fletching arrows is pretty easy.  

Alex mentioned pretty much everything you will need. I also recommend 3 Rivers archery.

I use an old Jo Jan mono fletcher. It's nothing fancy but it serves it's purpose. When it comes to feather placement....what I did was set up an already fletched arrow (one that I liked where the fletchings were located) in the jig, then I put the clamp onto the fletching and made a Sharpie mark on the clamp to line up with the back of the fletching. Now all I have to do is line up new fletchings with the mark and I'm good to glue.

Offline Mike Vines

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »
Welcome to Tradgang.  In the beginning, I highly recommend that you stay on this site, there is no need to go elsewhere for anything you may need.

I suggest using the "How-To" forum, and become familiar with the search feature just under the banner up top.

Have fun and post LOTS of pictures for us.  

Tell your wife, you could always be sitting at the Bar instead of making arrows.  :-)
Professional Bowhunters Society Regular Member

U.S. ARMY Military Police

Michigan Longbow Association Life Member/Past President

Offline Butch Speer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 05:51:00 PM »
I order from The Nocking Point. Prices are as good as any and better than most. Shipping is the best around. Service is great and they're good folks.
God Bless

Butch the Yard Gnome

67 Bear Kodiak Hunter 58" 48@28
73 Bear Grizzly 58" 47@ 28
74 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45@28
Shakespeare Necedah 58" 45@28

Nothing is ever lost by courtesy. It is the cheapest of pleasures, costs nothing, and conveys much.
- Erastus Wiman

Offline Locogear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 06:51:00 PM »
Ok good deal good deal, thank y'all, I will definitely be taking advantage of y'all lol thanks for the help! Alex I'll probably have tons of questions when I start the process, you'll get tired of hearing from me haha!   An yea mike, that's a good point and it's cheaper than going to the bar with the price of cold beer nowadays and kip, give me some details on your 12g reload equipment, PM if you'd like
The Swamp Bunny

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 09:05:00 PM »
BigJim can get you what you need.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Locogear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 09:55:00 PM »
He handles fletching tools? I'd like to look into making shafts too, do y'all think that's worth looking into?
The Swamp Bunny

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 10:35:00 PM »
Big Jim handles EVERYTHING. and i mean it. if you need it - he has it. From bow building supplies to tshirts, he's got it. Fantastic guy there.

You mean building wood shafts? That's a whole different animal, but extremely rewarding. I always say anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

There are a bunch of woody build alongs in the "How To" forum, lots of good info over there.

You'd need:

Shafts (Port orford cedar is the most readily available)
Some type of dip tube
Polyurethane

You could order these things all at once from Big Jim very reasonably priced, he has everything I've listed.

Alex

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 08:01:00 AM »
If I don't have it on the site, I often haven't had time to get it listed there. We also have expertise in many different areas and I am willing to help where I can.

We will be making footed shafts...don't know how soon, but they will be somewhat limited in availability. The though would be to offer ready to go arrows with footings to match the wood in a custom bow...my buddy and helper when he's not saving souls, Preacher has taken on this endeavor with fervor. He has been making beautiful wood arrows for some time now. They might even come blessed for no extra charge  :)
BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline Locogear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
Ok I will look into your website now, I'm pretty excited to be able to handcraft some of my own arrows, makes me feel like a kid again  :D  only this time they won't be made out of twig with a pocket knife taped to the end lol
The Swamp Bunny

Offline Locogear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 08:47:00 AM »
And thanks for the tips Alex, your going straight into my buddy list, I appreciate all the help I'm receiving, if y'all need any tips on animal raising (cows, chickens, meat rabbits, sheep) let me know lol, i raise them  :p
The Swamp Bunny

Offline Jason_L

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 11:00:00 AM »
I started fletching last year, it's very addicting. Do yourself a favor and buy a Bitzenburger, it is rock solid. I had a Bohning, it's kinda fragile. I stripped the nock receiver screw accidentally which turned it into a paper weight. Bohning does have great customer service though. I called asking if they would sell me a 4 fletch adapter to replace my lost one. They asked my address then said they would ship me one free of charge. The holidays are a great time to buy shafts and feathers because some companies offer free shipping. Home depot 3/8 dowels turn out good shafts with a little sanding. I have made a couple dozen with them for 3D shoots and they fly great.

Offline Locogear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 11:23:00 AM »
Hmm i like good customer service, do you have a bitzenburger? What do y'all think about that jo jan mono that Brandon mentioned? It seems like a good one, I don't need to be fancy or super quick, just to work and not break lol
The Swamp Bunny

Offline Locogear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 11:26:00 AM »
3D shoots? And you mean to make arrows out of 3/8 wooden dowels?
The Swamp Bunny

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
I have a Bitzenburger and it's bomb proof. Well worth the money. The Jo-jan will do many arrows quickly, but I think the bitz is more versatile and does a better job. Def. worth the extra money if you have it.

Loco, look up some 3D shoots in your area. There will be a bunch of life-sized foam animal targets set up throughout the woods that you shoot. It's what I spend my whole summer doing.

Yes, using 3/8's dowell rods will make fine arrows for general use. That way if you lose one while practicing or break one at a 3D shoot it isn't the end of the world because you don't have much invested. Carbons can run $10-$15 per arrow, not fun if you lose 3 while out shooting.

I can see this turning into multiple new hobbies for the wife to hate LOL

Offline Locogear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 12:19:00 PM »
Hahahaha, my only hope is to get her hooked too, I'll need to have a brainstorming session with y'all about this haha
And that's a good idea about the dowel, I'm all about saving money, if I wasn't I'd buy arrows premade lol
The Swamp Bunny

Offline Locogear

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 12:20:00 PM »
Hahahaha, my only hope is to get her hooked too, I'll need to have a brainstorming session with y'all about this haha
And that's a good idea about the dowel, I'm all about saving money, if I wasn't I'd buy arrows premade lol
The Swamp Bunny

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 03:16:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mike Vines:
Welcome to Tradgang.  In the beginning, I highly recommend that you stay on this site, there is no need to go elsewhere for anything you may need.

I suggest using the "How-To" forum, and become familiar with the search feature just under the banner up top.

Have fun and post LOTS of pictures for us.  

Tell your wife, you could always be sitting at the Bar instead of making arrows.  :-)
There ya go!!! Couldn't get better advice!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©