3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Nothern people's advice  (Read 778 times)

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
Need Nothern people's advice
« on: January 05, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
Okay so I am leaving on the 10th to go to Kentucky.  My issue, I have lived in central FL my entire life and have no real experience with single diget temperatures.  You guessed it my vacation and hunting will include just that.  For my leggins I have a pair of thermals, Military wool pants and Columbia's wool overalls.  I purchased Redheads tracker boots, 100% waterproof, 600 gram thinsulate and gore-tex.  My chest I have thermals, the top half of the overalls, a 100% wool fisherman's sweater bought in Ireland (extremely warm), and my Asbell wool heavy sweater in evening stand brown. I also have 100% wool beanie I will be wearing for head cover.  Please, let me know what else I will need or if I need to change anything.  I don't want to go into the woods unprepared.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Nothern people's advice
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 07:32:00 PM »
Sounds like you are in pretty good shape. I would suggest you get a fleece neck gaiter.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Fleece-Neck-Gaiter/1380362.uts        

You can pull it up over your face with your hat on and then if you get a shot you can pull it down as I am sure you aren't practiced in shooting with it on. You may lose your anchor point with the mask on and just a little different on your face will make a big difference on your point of impact.

Make sure you have some sort of wind break layer. I would get some toe and hand warmers if you plan on being out long. Also don't forget a arm guard if you don't have one. All those puffy sleeves will hit your string. I shoot with a glove and I cut the first three fingers out of a glove to put on my shooting glove. Would work with a tab also.

By all means put all those clothes on (including gloves) and practice shooting. Its not near the same as in a t-shirt. Hahaha you are going to be glad to get back home is all I can say.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 07:44:00 PM »
OMG bring extra stuff whatever you do hahaha!  I went hog hunting in Texas a year ago and they had a cold snap and it was "only" 19 degrees but MAN sitting for hours completely still it is hard to stay warm unless you have some good layering going on.  My personal recommendation would be a tight fitting polypropylene base layer top and bottom and then go from there and try and trap as much air and wick as much moisture away from your skin.  Also keep your bladder drained, hahaha, sounds stupid but its crazy how much energy your body expends keeping that liquid heated and not you.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 07:49:00 PM »
Get some of those chemical hand and toe warmers. They last about 5 hours and help to keep your fingers and toes where you can feel them.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Lechwe

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 08:02:00 PM »
Get some good sock liners (I prefer wool if you can find them), and some good wool hunting socks. You don't want to wear cotton of any kind.I'll second the hand and toe warmers.

Good luck.

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 08:12:00 PM »
All good advice given so far. I second the neck gaitor/face mask.
Probably the best advice given is to practice shooting with all your gear on. Even though it has been 40 years ago I still remember the frustration early one morning of finding I was unable to draw my bow on a very nice buck because the coveralls I was wearing were too binding. Lesson learned!
One other item I have really come to appreciate in recent years is a hand warmer/muff that I wear around my waist. Keeping my hands in it until it is time to shoot allows me to wear light weight gloves which in turn makes my grip on the bow and shot feel more natural.
Hope this helps!

Offline MCNSC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
Make sure your thermals have good wickng properties. Marino wool are great. I also have a pair of the 70s style ladies knit leggings.  When it is cold here I will put them on over my base layer.  They pretty much go from above the ankle to above the knee, really helps.  The neck gaiter as mentioned above is great also.
"What was big was not the trout, but the chance. What was full was not my creel, but my memory"
 Aldo Leopold

"It hasn't worked right since I fixed it" My friend Ken talking about his lawn mower

Offline womblesd

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 08:24:00 PM »
600 gram boots will not be warm enough. I suggest wool felt-pac boots and 2 pair of wool socks
Dan Wombles
Lake St Louis, MO
hunt Pike County, IL

Offline monkeyball

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 08:34:00 PM »
You guys that hunt the cold weather should invest in a biking jersey, for two reasons. First it is usually made of a wicking material so sweating will not be a problem but the other reason is that they usually have three pockets sewn in the back right across the lower back. Pop a couple hand warmers in those( they are positioned very close to your kidneys) and you are going to be warm for awhile.

Try it and see!

Good Hunting,
                                                                      Craig

Offline bamboo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2015, 08:45:00 PM »
so you wanna run with notherners!
ha!!this a ganger in -16F weather
dress warm -you can always take it off !

p.s.   boots will make or break you-worry more about warm than scent!!have fun!!
Mike

Offline arrowbuster

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2015, 08:49:00 PM »
Its way cold here right now but by the 10 th it could be 70. You never know with our weather. Where are you going to be hunting if you don't mind my asking.
AH ACS CX 60" 53@28
PITTSLEY PREDATOR 60" 56@28
CASCADE BRUSH HAWK 56" 49@28

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
x2 on the chemical hand and feet warmers. I usually only use them for my feet and they've kept me outside way longer than I would have stayed if I didn't have them. Fleece neck gaitor is awesome also.

Offline wtpops

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
This is my fist year at cold temps also all the advice i have gotten includes no cotton, to relay what i have been told is against the skin needs to be something the wicks the moisture into the wool layers and away from the body. "Cotton Kills" It has worked very well so far.
TGMM Family of the Bow
"OVERTHINKING" The art of creating problems that weren't even there!

Offline 2nocks

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2015, 08:57:00 PM »
One more, not sure you have a windbreaking layer in the list above. You should have some type of wind stopping jacket or layer. You can get a golf windbreaker cheap.

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »
Great stuff guys thanks.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Offline eidsvolling

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2015, 09:36:00 PM »
You've had a lot of good advice here so far. What I haven't seen is any mention that you have practiced shooting while wearing the new-to-you clothing. It makes a big difference sometimes, a difference you want to discover on the range at home and not on your hunt.

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2015, 10:10:00 PM »
I like to wear vests under my top layer. One or two base layers, shirt layer of some kind, vest(nice if it is longer cover for the kidneys & back end some), then coat layer.  I use lots of wool.  I feel the vest gives my core some warmth but allows the arms some freedom of movement to draw and shoot better. Works for me.  If your going to have to travel on foot a while to get to your spot, dress down, keep sweat to a minimum, put on layers for warmth once you get to your spot and settled in.

Offline shreffler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »
I've been hunting my whole life in the cold and the real difference makers are hand/toe warmers (and i mean buy A LOT of these), neck/face gaiter, bibs, good boots, sock liners, and a thermos full of warm black coffee. That can be a real life saver in the cold. Sometimes that's all it takes to rejuvenate you and allow you to sit that extra hour.

Good luck!
"If you're not bowhunting, your spirit is on standby." - Uncle Ted

« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2015, 11:18:00 PM »
You should come to Iowa for the last week here, it is going to be blow zero for highs.  One thing that do if it has not been mentioned, I take larger modern material sleeping bag and sit in it while on my Huntmor, when game is approaching, I let down.  Hopefully, I am in enough cover and see the deer or whatever soon enough. It keeps the body warm and I can handle the extra cold for that long.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©