3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need Nothern people's advice  (Read 779 times)

Offline Chain2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need Nothern people's advice
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2015, 05:15:00 AM »
Neck gaiter as mentioned, hand warmers and when it is real cold I wear a muff to put the warmers in for my hands. I don't line to wear gloves. Load your bottom half and control your temp by adjusting your upper half.
"Windage and elevation Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation..."

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2015, 07:00:00 AM »
Don't worry about it, it's a "dry cold"...HA - like the dry heat claims of Arizonia....
All great advice.  I do everything listed here.  One more thing I do is if I am walking in a ways I carry my hunting socks and toe warmers with me.  I get all set and cool down a bit then change socks and put the warmers on.

Wet feet (from water or sweat) will quickly lead to cold / miserable feet and can end a hunt quickly.  You need some room in your boots too.  Too tight doesn't work for me in the cold.
I hope you have a great time!!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Charlie Lamb

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2015, 07:16:00 AM »
Lots of good tips here. I depend on a down vest as part of my cold weather "system". It really cuts down on sleeve bulk as well as being extra warm.

Here's a short list of must haves.

1. chemical hand warmers..for hands, neck area, chest and boots if the boots are big enough. They are cheap... use them freely.
2. micro fleece neck gaiter
3. Poly pro or wool long unders (top and bottom)... absolutely do not use cotton for this layer.
4. micro fleece cap
5. carry most of your clothes to the stand and finish dressing there.
6. Don't wear all your stuff while driving to your hunt area
Hunt Sharp

Charlie

Offline Rustic

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2015, 07:17:00 AM »
X2 on everything mentioned plus keep your kidneys warm with a scarf or body warmer pack and keep hydrated... You should be good to go.
Bear Montana Long Bow 50#@28"
PV Longbow 48#@28"
Bear Grizzly Recurve 45#@28"
Darton Trailmaster Recurve 35#@28"

Offline ChetterB

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2015, 07:52:00 AM »
Wool neck gaitor for sure. I also like the artic shield booties. You will also want a layer to break the wind-- wind vest G. Fredrick Asbell. If you really want to be on the safe side buy a heater body suit or iwom (I have both) as back up for stand hunting. Good luck.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2015, 11:30:00 AM »
All good tips.  I find even 1200 gram thinsulate boots don't do it for me if I have to sit very long....and that's generally the rule in the crunchy late season.  Chemical hand/toe warmers help, but I find they seem to lose their effectiveness after only about 4 hours.  On a long sit, I stick a second one in about midway and keep the heat going.  Some kind of overboot or the sleeping bag idea is best for the feet. This season made me think about modifying an old sleeping bag to extend above the knees but easier to drop quietly.  Good quiet gaiters help too.
Tom

Offline RickND

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2015, 12:05:00 PM »
I have a pair of 1600 gram lacrosse rubber boots that I wear for late season hunts up here in cold country of North Dakota

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »
Firstlite balacalava. And a firstlite thermal top with the extended thumbhole cuffs if you dont have one.

Disposable hand warmers. These I put in my chest pockets of the layer closest to my baselayer and preferably under my wool vest. Also put one in each coat pocket to warm the hands.

Disposable footwarmers. I agree the footwarmers only last about 4 hours.

Put the warmers in the pockets and on the feet before you head into the woods. The wrapper makes lots of noise.

Offline LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
Short of the Heater Body Suit (because it works like a mitten, not a glove)  I dont care what you put on your body.....sit a while in the true cold and you wont be happy....because you are not producing heat.  You need to produce heat or have something that does.  People mentioned hand warmers....they are awesome!  Whats even better, are the Thermacare Heat Patches!!  Find them in the local drug store,  Walmart,  whatever.  They should be with the Advil and cold medicine and all that jazz.  They are made to administer theraputic heat to areas of pain,  like the lower back.  All it is is a hand warmer on steriods!  When its stupid cold out,  I use the back warmer model that comes in a bandage like belt with a hook and loop type "buckle" ....I believe they stay warm for 8 hrs. They do not smell!  A tip,  put it on over your first layer of clothing (t-shirt or thermal underwear top) so its not directly on your skin.  I think it is more comfortable that way.   It will keep your torso warm and your spirits up!  That with something in your boots and you'll be ready to take on anything!   :thumbsup:

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2015, 03:26:00 PM »
He won't die, forecast for next week is upper 30's to lower 30's. Although until he acclamates he may think he is going to. But it won't be crazy cold.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 04:24:00 PM »
Windproof layer is essential for comfort in the cold--I'm just saying.......

Online Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
A good wool scarf so worth its weight in gold.  I wear a golf shirt on top of my base layers to hold heat in and keep wind out.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline Jock Whisky

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
For really cold weather the only boot we've found that works is a pair of Sorel Glaciers or something similar. Not great for a long walk but for sitting in a stand they work.
Old doesn't start until you hit three figures...and then it's negotiable

Offline Firstlight

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 09:27:00 PM »
Well, it's been pretty well stated what to bring but if your from Fla., Bring Extra warm weather gear!  

Deff. no cotton.

I subscribe to layering, ideally with wool items, and a shell which will block wind and rain.  

One of my layers is always a vest, which keeps in core body heat but not bulking up in the ams, which would make it harder to shoot.

Neck gaitor or scarf and something for the face.

Make sure you can move / wiggle your toe's with your sock / boot combination.  If your toe's are to tight in the boot you'll get colder faster.  If walking a lot I bring an extra pair of wool socks.  

Yeah, you just might want to get those hand / feet warmers to.

**It is very important to practice shooting your bow while wearing your jackets, hat, pack, etc.  to ensure your not "binding up" and that you are getting good string clearance of your bow arm and chest area.

Might want to carry a plastic bag in the event you want to sit somewhere that is wet...

Offline Hoyt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 11:35:00 PM »
I really struggle with cold weather..+20 degrees is about my max due to heart condition and blood thinners.

My hands give me the most problems, especially my left one. I can't take my heavy duty gloves off for very long and that makes everything more difficult.

I got this hand warmer the other day and it has really helped me a lot...even lets me hunt in a little colder weather. It gets much warmer than the packet type warmers.

Celestron Elements ThermoTrek Rechargeable Hand Warmer 4400 mAh battery
Up to 6 hours of continuous heat. You recharge it with USB hooked to computer...comes with it.

I carry it in my hand warmer muff and when one hand or both get too cold just stick in my muff and they're warm in no time.

Offline freedomhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 02:51:00 PM »
30 degrees???  That is not near as bad as what my wife's grandmother was making it.  Thanks a lot for the update.  I am able to keep warm in the duck blind here in FL when it's 30 and windy.  I purchased a bunch of hand and feet warmers the other day so I have them.  Just need a face fleece.
How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
Romans 10:14 KJV

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©