3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Who hasn't eaten squirrel?  (Read 1632 times)

Offline two4hooking

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Who hasn't eaten squirrel?
« Reply #60 on: January 08, 2015, 10:25:00 AM »
No Special prep needed if you use a crock pot...yum!

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #61 on: January 08, 2015, 11:14:00 AM »
Originally posted by cahaba:
I soak squirrel as well as venison in coffee. I don't know what the coffee does but it takes all the gamey taste away and gives it a great flavor. If it wasn't for squirrel we would have had a lot of meals without meat when I was growing up. I really like eating them.
I use coffee in marinades too, it's slightly acidic and has enzymes that help tenderize meat, I love the flavor it adds too. Ground coffee also works really well in spice rubs.
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Online R.V.T.B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2015, 04:51:00 PM »
I love 'em.  A great cold weather meal.

I par boil them for awhile and pull the meat off the bones. Toss all the meat in a crock pot with a can or crème of chicken soup and a can of crème of celery soup.  Add some chicken broth to thin the soup out some.  I cook it for a couple of hours and then make dumplings out of bisquick.

Awesome!

Offline Chromebuck

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »
Haven't had squirrel since the passing of my grandparents.  They always wanted me to bring them squirrels.  Their recipe is what I always called southern fried.  Using the stove top my grandmother would dredge in flour and brown on both sides in butter.  After browning she would add chicken broth and thicken with a cornstarch and water mixture.  Slow cook it for hours until it nearly falls off the bone.  Always served with rice and the gravy would go on top of rice.
62" JD Berry Taipan 53@28
60" Super Shrew 2pc 53@28
58" Ed Scott Owl Bow 53@28

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
I drives me nuts when people talk about adding BB sauce and other stuff to kill the "gamey taste"       :knothead:          :banghead:    ...What gamey taste?       :dunno:     It's called FLAVOR! If you don't like wild game then eat chicken, pork and beef       :nono:    

squirrel is my absolute favorite small game. It has a sweet flavorful meat. Young squirrels will fry up tender and older squirrels need more cooking. I try to keep the old ones and the young ones seperate when I'm cooking them.

The guys in my Shrew Haven deer camp love my fried squirrel, in fact one night during our annual deer hunt is squirrel night.

It takes 8 squirrels to feed our group so as soon as the season opens on Sept 15yh the hunt begins. I usually use a .22 rifle or a .32 flintlock muzzleloader to get the squirrels that I need.

This is how I cook them, cut them into 7 pieces, flour and brown in oil or bacon grease if I have it. put them in a cast iron pan, our camp pan is 14" with a cover. After the meat is browned, I add a little water, put on the cover and place in a 300* oven for about two hours. When the meat is falling off the bone tender I take out the meat and make gravy in the drippings

Eight squirrels just out of the oven

Makin the gravy

Enjoy!

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2015, 09:26:00 PM »
Another batch in the big cast iron skillet

We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »
Sounds good Ron.  I just tried a new recipe that I posted a video earlier.  Brown in hot oil then cover and simmer for an hour.  Was good but a little too dry.  Next time I.m going to pressure cook for 15 minutes on 10# dip in seasoned corn starch and fry to golden brown.  Should be tender and moist.

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2015, 12:11:00 AM »
I'm with Ron; wild game needs no special sauce...if it does, something's wrong with the way you're handling it after the kill, or the way you're cooking it (with very few exceptions in my experience)...
I can't tell you how many times we have had friends over for dinner, and when I say I am cooking venison, they say "oh, I don't like venison"...I say "well, at least try it, and if you still don't like it, we'll make you something else"...with maybe two exceptions, the reaction is usually; "THIS is venison?!? This is fantastic!"
And the two exceptions were city dwellers who couldn't wrap their mind around eating anything that didn't come from a store, in a rectangular package covered in plastic...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2015, 04:40:00 AM »
I'm with Ron too. I've been eating wild game (more squirrel and rabbits than anything) all my life and I have no idea what people are talking about when they say "gamey taste".

Offline lbshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2015, 10:02:00 AM »
My Aunt Rose used to take my squirrels and make Squirrel Cacciatori and spagetti for me.  It was one of the most fabulous dishes I think I have ever had.  That was in the 60'/70'ss. Haven't eaten a squirrel since she passed away.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
No squirrel has passed these lips. I'm sticking to those 600 pound squirrels with a white rump.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2015, 01:09:00 PM »
I know what you mean Ron, i just cant understand how not everyone likes just plain black coffee, if they need to add sugar or creamer then they just shouldn't drink coffee at all...   :knothead:

I enjoy eating squirrel and all wild game, in fact we dont even eat beef, i dont see the big deal if someone likes BBQ sauce... it's their taste buds, why knock what they like???
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #72 on: January 09, 2015, 02:34:00 PM »
I think that the comments weren't as much "knocking" what people like, as much as they were defending the taste wild game possesses...
There most likely are some folks reading these threads who don't have a ton of experience with some aspects of hunting/woodsmanship, two of which are taking care of meat, as well as cooking it after the killing of an animal...
A person could read this thread and think that it's necessary to soak/marinate/brine/smother/slather wild game meat with some other substance before it is palatable...this couldn't be farther from the truth...
Your Chicken from McDonald's, Tyson Foods, or Perdue Farms spent most of it's life stuffed in a cage with three or four others, occupying a space about the size of a book page...None for me, thanks...

Offline Daz

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #73 on: January 09, 2015, 04:10:00 PM »
No squirrel has passed these lip. I'm sticking to those 600 pound squirrels with a white rump.
I remember as a kid in SK you could only shoot squirrels if you had a fur-bearer permit and a trap lease, so surprise there.  :)
Less anger, more troubleshooting...

Offline 2bird

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #74 on: January 09, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »
Don, that makes sence. Yes, wild game does not "need" any other seasoning then what you would use on anything else. Just thought we were talking about preferences.
Vegetarians are cool, I eat them with every meal!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #75 on: January 09, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
Love em, I call it backyard grocery shopping. My Mom used to make a stew called "Hopkins county" stew. I still make it.

I wait til it gets cold to shoot em amend then shoot enough to last me on into summer. Been gettin fat ones lately!
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline J-dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #76 on: January 09, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »
Steven Rinella made a great point in that folks get away from certain things - like society is changing its tastes. What we would have or did love to eat in past generations we seem to look down our noses at. Just a sign of more disconnected we are getting.
Always be stubborn.

Captain hindsight to the rescue!

Offline Krex1010

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #77 on: January 09, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »
Squirrel cooked over coals at camp is delicious, as is venison, trout, rabbit or whatever game we chase. Those same meats also can are excellent ingredients is more elegant dishes. Brining, marinating, sauces etc. all should accentuate the natural flavors of a meat and improve texture, the goal is not to hide the flavor. For example, A thin glaze of a slightly sweet sauce on a grilled squirrel enhances the flavor to some people, which is no different than what a light flour dredge does when cooking in bacon grease as shown in the pics of that delicious looking squirrel above
"You can't cheat the mountain pilgrim"

Offline don kauss

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #78 on: January 09, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
I'll second that! I am full from dinner at the moment, and I look at that picture of Ron's and I start to drool...
   :thumbsup:

Online mgf

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #79 on: January 10, 2015, 05:12:00 AM »
My point was simply that I don't know what "gamey taste" is. I've eaten a lot of game but I've never experienced anything that I could relate to the term.

Prepare your meals how you like them but I don't think squirrel tastes any "gamier" than beef or pork.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©