3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Advantages of a short bow??  (Read 942 times)

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Advantages of a short bow??
« on: January 06, 2015, 08:55:00 AM »
I have always shot short bows. 58" or less. Recently. I bought. A 62"  bow and have been shooting it great. Granted I have never owned this brand of bow before so maybe it is simply the design of this bow?
I only draw 25" so that  is why I have always  stuck  with shorter bows. Obviously  a shorter bow has the advantage  of being a little more maneuverable in a blind or treestand. Other than that,  what are the advantages  of the shorter bow over the exact same bow in say 62"?  

I know that  some shorter bows shoot well, (I have owned them), even for people with a longer draw. But are people giving up a little just to have a shorter more maneuverable bow over the same bow 4 or more inches longer?

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Advantages of a short bow??
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »
That is the advantage.
SWA Spyder

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
First I will say I have a 30 inch draw and shoot my 64" Talltines longbow great. It is my go to, never leave the house without it bow. However, due to length (and not performance) I had a mishap on a giant herd bull elk.

I was peering over a hill with the rise in front of me I tried to draw my bow but realized due to the bottom limb being long I couldn't shoot. I let a 350 class bull walk all over me. With a bow shorter I make that shot.  I never got another opportunity!

I picked up a stock 58" Thunderchild from BigJim. It is a better feel than some 62" bows I own and will be in the mountains with me in the mountains after white goats this fall.
Mike Davenport

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2015, 09:13:00 AM »
well..assuming both bows are equal quality..etc etc etc..

Being a little more maneuverable is about it.
May be an argument that a shorter length "stock" bow might be a little better for those with shorter draws...but that can be done in custom longer bows too..
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Online KenH

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2015, 09:59:00 AM »
Wapati -- that's exactly why I shoot not only short bows, but short asymmetrical "horsebows" with the bottom limb 3-5" shorter than the top limb.
Living Aboard the s/v ManCave

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2015, 10:10:00 AM »
Possibly, the only disadvantage of a 62 bow with a 25" draw would be less efficiency. If built for a 28" draw, the loss of 3#/inc. (9 lbs +/-) might affect you, both are dependent on the design.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2015, 10:34:00 AM »
I shoot short bows because I would look funny shooting bow taller than me.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
I think this thread already gives the two advantages for you (at a 25" draw):
1. Manueverability
2. Efficiency

Disadvantages:
Some say shorter bows are "less forgiving".  I agree with this (based on my personal experience and feel).  I used "quotation marks" because this is often a topic of opinion/discussion.

For me, I have deduced two things:
Longer limbs generally mean more mass which means greater stability - to me....  You have another post about the Bobcat - or similar bows - these are short limbed bows with greater mass so that offsets this disadvantage.

Finger pinch/"forgiveness" of release imperfection...this can occur with certain designs on short limbed bows with longer draws.  This will likely not be a concern for you.  I feel this often on shorter bows.  I need to work on the consistency of my release.  I put this more on the archer, not the bow, but for me a longer bow is more forgiving on this.  I draw 29" though.
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
When I drew to over 28",(I looked funny doing that), I had a 50" Browning Cobra. I tried three under, split, no matter what I did, I did not trust myself to shoot past 20 yards with it. It seemed that the deer knew that as well. Then one day I bought a 62" Black Widow found out real quick that I could not shoot uphill with that long draw. Now I shoot longbows and draw under 27" both left and right handed, some days I think my 62" R/Ds act too short. I used a 52" Pearson for awhile with a release, I hand a finger injury. When my finger healed I found that I still cannot shoot past 20 yards with a short bow, I sometimes really wish that I could, they are easy to hunt with.

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 01:08:00 PM »
In the brush and in the blind is only place I feel short bows really shine. Where I hunt in tree stand, they are pretty much wide open trees so longer bows aren't hindered much. I have a 31" draw, I can shoot a 58" bow if it's fairly low draw at 28", but I have to be real mindful of my draw hand grip on the string so as not to get pinched. I practice shooting bent over all the time with my 64" longbow so that terrain poses very little problems for me but brush can be a real show stopper!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2015, 02:32:00 PM »
58 for you is probably about the ratio as 48 would be for me.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 02:42:00 PM »
Why would anyone want to.shoot a bow as long as 58" ? I can shoot my Bear 48" magnum just as good as my 68" Gordy Moray. It's all in the head !
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2015, 04:13:00 PM »
Originally posted by njloco:
Why would anyone want to.shoot a bow as long as 58" ? I can shoot my Bear 48" magnum just as good as my 68" Gordy Moray. It's all in the head !
I don't notice any difference between my 58" and my 52" KMag. The SuperMag interests me but I'd like to be able to try one first. Little concerned even at 28.5" it could be a problem for me?
SWA Spyder

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2015, 05:10:00 PM »
Bear 48 Magnum has the huge brace height, that's why you can shoot it with a normal draw length and not get a lot of finger pinch. I can't shoot one with my long draw, back to bow design having a lot to do with it.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2015, 05:23:00 PM »
Originally posted by njloco:
I say this in a teasing way....but this statement comes with a signature listing 5 bows, 4 of which are 64" or greater.....
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Steelhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2015, 06:36:00 PM »
A short bow is also very convenient for stalking and still hunting where you dont have the option to clear or cut saplings,sticks,weeds etc that might be in the way of limb clearance.

Short bows manuever easily and quietly through cover when still hunting.

Offline Wudstix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Wood arrows & D/R Longbows Rule!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2015, 07:13:00 PM »
As mentioned previously by others a shorter custom bow would only be advantagous due to length; a shorter stock bow @28" may be better performing than a longer stock bow.  You can see what length I like.
"If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!!!" - Me

Psalms 121: 1-3 - King David

60" Big River 67#@28"              
60" MOAB D/R LB 62#@27"
60" Big River D/R LB 65#@27"
62" Kota Badlands LB 72#@28"
62" Howatt TD 62#@28
58” Bear Grizzly 70#@28”
62" Big River D/R LB 60#@30"
66" Moosejaw Razorback LB 60#@28"

"Memento Mori"
PBS - Associate Member
Retired DoD Civ 1985-2019

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2015, 08:53:00 PM »
They are nice to stir the firebox in the woodstove with.    :bigsmyl:  I had to! But I confess..my 60" Centaur is a pretty good bow to have in my Turkey blind.  rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2015, 09:09:00 PM »
I was waiting for riverrat to comment. LOL
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline Turkhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2015, 09:37:00 PM »
Other than the advantages already mentioned i say a short bow makes you a better shot. If you have 2 bows that are of the same design and you practice with the shorter bow and master it, then shooting the longer bow should be a piece of cake.
J.K. Traditions Kanati 56" 52#@27"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©