3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bodnik Slick Stick?  (Read 514 times)

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
Bodnik Slick Stick?
« on: January 06, 2015, 11:45:00 PM »
I tried doing some searching but didn't find much. Anyone have any experience with the slick stick? I just stumbled across as it on kustom king and it looks like a neat bow for the money. This would be my first longbow and I really didn't have too much interest in longbows until I drooled over the bigjim TC i can't afford!
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bodnik Slick Stick?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 02:18:00 AM »
I never shot one but watched a video on them and they dry fired one something like a thousand times in testing and it didn't fail, seemed pretty quick too. I'd like to try one based on what I seen but not willing to  buy without a try!
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 07:23:00 AM »
Did you read Pete Ward's review?  Pete spoke very favorably of it and he's a solid guy.  For the money I don't think you could go wrong, I've often thought of trying one myself.  Why not get one and do a review?  Being as its a lower cost bow you could recoup most of your money if you sold it later, the more inexpensive bows don't 'depreciate' as much as some of the pricey customs.  The most important part of shooting any new bow is proper tuning and a quality string.  The stock strings on Bodniks are supposed to be decent.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 09:49:00 AM »
I did see Pete's review its about the only one online for this bow haha

Nineworlds-im seriously thinking about it! I just hate to buy a bow I can't shoot first. But like mentioned if I didn't like it I'd probably be able to sell it.

This seems like a solid bow that appears to be a god shooter...just going to have to decide if the new super grizzly can wait!

Offline Jack Hoyt 75

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 10:49:00 AM »
For the money you can't go wrong.  Pete Wards review is accurate.  I owned one of a short time but sold it.  (bought at Compton Auction but did not need, have to many bows)

I was impressed with it and really liked the grip.  pulled pretty smooth and shot well.  Finish was just a tad rough but no biggy.  If you wanted a smoother, higher quality finish a little steel wool and a wipe with TruOil would do the trick.

It shoots like a bow that would cost more but you wont cry over it if or when you put a ding or scratch on the bow.

Drive over to Kustom King or maybe they will take one with them to Kalamazoo Tradfest late January if they are attending?

I think they have a store and not just a catalog and website but not sure??  I would call them first.
Hill Country Bows - RER

TGMM, Compton Traditional Bowhunters, NWTF Member
Indiana NWTF State Board Member
Indiana Bowhunter Association Member

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
Kustom King is about 1.5hrs from me.they have a shop or is it mainly online sales?

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 03:05:00 PM »
OK I couldn't help it! I just ordered a slick stick from Kustom king! I'll be sure to give it a proper review when it arrives! Something about this bow really appealed to me and I had to have one!

Offline 59Alaskan

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 07:00:00 PM »
Looks like a great bow value!  I look forward to your review.  Congratulations!
TGMM Family of the Bow

"God has given us two hands, one to receive with and the other to give with.” - Billy Graham

Offline Jasper2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
The Slick Stick is one of the best values out there in my opinion.  Fast, quiet, dead in the hand with an awesome grip and under $300 with an unheard of warranty , what's not to like? It will shoot right up there with bows costing 3 times as much I can assure you of that.
Take care,
Jason

56" Centaur Chimera 50#@27"

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 10:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by sheepdogreno:
OK I couldn't help it! I just ordered a slick stick from Kustom king! I'll be sure to give it a proper review when it arrives! Something about this bow really appealed to me and I had to have one!
That's awesome man!  I'm looking forward to your review, don't be afraid to list both the pros and any cons, use all 5 senses, well ok maybe skip smell and taste hahaha, and post lots of pics if you can.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2015, 11:34:00 PM »
THanks guys im pretty excited! I have been shooting my 50# curves and kustom king was out of 50# and 55# so i went with a 45#. I think its gonna be good for me to really focus on my form and get better in the sport. and it should be a fine hunting weight if i decide to do so with it.

Kustom has been a awesome company to deal with so far (very friendly folks) and im glad bc they are the only ones to my knowledge you can get this bow from in the states. They happen to be just a few hrs from me! They informed me that they had gotten in a mess of bows and the majority of them were spoken for. Selling like hot cakes according to them!

Offline BigHink66

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 12:34:00 PM »
Is this bow made in Germany?

Offline meatCKR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 12:50:00 PM »
Got one last fall for my Son.  He loves it. I like it too. Shoots great.  I know Bearpaw is a German company and this bow was designed at Bearpaw, but when the bow I bought arrived and I took it out of the box it came in, the plastic bag that the bow was in had a sticker that said "Made in the Czech Republic".  Doesn't take away from how nice the bow is and the great warrantee and how well it shoots, but in the interest of answering your question, I wanted to offer that up.
"Leave it as it is. You can not improve on it. The ages have been
at work on it, and man can only mar it."
- Theodore Roosevelt upon seeing the Grand Canyon.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 03:34:00 PM »
MeatCKR I will definitely see if mine has any markings on it. To the best if my knowledge Henry Bodnik makes these in Germany for Bearpaw. his Facebook page actually has some videos of them building some slick sticks.

You got me interested now! We shall see when it gets here!

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 04:25:00 AM »
I checked out man....they look great. Great price too!!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 10:51:00 PM »
The suspense of when the delivery man brings me my new bow is killing me! No way I could wait weeks for a custom I'd go crazy!

Offline northern lights

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 10:56:00 AM »
I'm waiting to see how you like it, been shooting recurves for years and have been debating between this one and a montana for my first longbow , be sure and let me know if you like it, and ya Kustom King  are great to deal with.
Now we're digging where the taters are.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 11:49:00 AM »
Try waiting nearly four years like I did recently

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 03:09:00 PM »
Originally posted by northern lights:
I'm waiting to see how you like it, been shooting recurves for years and have been debating between this one and a montana for my first longbow , be sure and let me know if you like it, and ya Kustom King  are great to deal with.
Planning on doing a whole review of the bow and posting it to the forum. Will be in parts as I Dont readily have a chrono and will have to play the weather!

Dave-4 yrs that's unreal! More patience than I!

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
The slick stick is here! I've only had a chance to string it up and put the rest on. I'll shoot it some later this evening. Planning a full review as I get to tuning and shooting it!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©