3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Virginia at KennyM's (video link added)  (Read 523 times)

Offline Mac Hicks

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Virginia at KennyM's (video link added)
« on: January 07, 2015, 03:32:00 PM »
Well, this is very late, but still wanted to share some of our hunt at KennyM's in Missouri.  Craig and I left my place very early on 11 December and made the long drive to Linneus arriving about 8PM.

We stopped by Kenny's, and after meeting him, he showed us the cabin and we were unpacked and unwinding in record time.

Craig and I have hunted and fly fished together as often as possible in the last 25 years or so.  Sometimes with one other friend and sometimes with a larger group, but mostly just us.

Let me say, this is a great place to hunt and Kenny is really a great host and just a great guy to share a hunting camp with.  We really enjoyed his visits and how he shared information about the property and where we might find the deer and turkey. Actually, we had very little problem finding plenty of both, but getting the shot....that's the hard part, as you all know.

It was warm and windy the first couple of days, so we spent a lot of time scouting, hanging stands, checking out the established ladder stands and just getting to know the hunting ground.  We sat stands twice every day except one morning and both of us saw deer almost every time out.  Craig was the deer magnet as usual and quickly lost count of the number he saw on stand.

These pics were taken while we were scouting, checking out the ladder stands and while Craig was hanging a stand near the Guru Gap stand.  I could hear turkeys on the ridge behind the GG stand and worked them with a call. By the time Craig came back to the field, they were on the way and we were scrambling to get set up for a possible shot.  Craig tried to get up near the field edge to video while I hunkered down in the weed patch at that end of the field.  I believe they were too close to the edge and made our movement, because they stopped responding to the call and never showed?

More later.

U.S. Navy Retired 1965-1989
TGMM Family of the Bow

There are 2 secrets to wisdom: 1. Never tell everything you know.

Offline Hermon

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Virginia at KennyM's (video link added)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »
Good Luck!  
I like your signature line   :biglaugh:

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 07:33:00 PM »
Looking forward to this.  Chad

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 08:20:00 PM »
Hey Mac! Was sure glad to meet you guys!
Stay sharp, Kenny.

https://www.kennysarchery.com/

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
:campfire:
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 09:21:00 PM »
:campfire:     :coffee:
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Mac Hicks

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2015, 09:58:00 PM »
Should have titled this  "Virginia WAS at KennyM's".  Our hunt was 13-19 December.

After we got the feel for the place Craig hung a couple more stands and I hunted a ground blind and a couple of the ladder stands including the famous Gap stand and the Guru Gap stand.  Saw deer at both of the ladder stands, but no good shot was offered.

Craig hunted the cut corn on the North farm a couple of days and had deer all over him, but no shots were taken.  When the wind was right, he moved back to the South farm and started hunting the stand he hung near the Guru Gap stand.  

Again he saw a LOT of deer, mostly small bucks and a few does.  That cut bean field was also covered with turkeys, but they didn't come into the woods by his stand.  

Wednesday night we had about 4 inches of snow and it continued to snow until about 1100.  Craig went back to his Lone Wolf on the South farm and I went to a stand he hung for me on
the North farm where he saw a good buck the day before.

Got a text from him about 0830 saying that he missed a nice 8 point at "close range"?  I was really liking hunting in the snow and had thoughts of staying on stand for the duration. When I messaged Craig at about 1100, he said he had already pulled the stand and headed back to the cabin, so I climbed down and headed in to get the story and breakfast.

Not sure how Craig missed, but from the way he described the shot it sounded like he had earned the Bowzo award for sure!       :biglaugh:    

We stopped cutting off shirt tails years ago and just started passing the "Bowzo" award to the last guy to miss.  At least he didn't hold it very long.  I won't say who held it while we were there, but it wasn't me!

Here are a couple of pics from mid-week and the snow hunts.

We both really enjoyed hunting the last couple of days in the snow and saw a LOT more deer, but no more shots were taken.  I had a small buck quartering away at 10 yards near sundown on our last hunt, but didn't take the shot.  He will be better next year and we had packing up to do!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Mac Hicks

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2015, 10:24:00 PM »
The next couple of pics were taken from the Guru Gap stand on my last morning hunt.  The turkeys were roosted on the ridge behind the stand and they really made a racket flying down late (even a gobble or two)!  They went back up the ridge from the roost into the hardwoods.

A large doe and a yearling fed across the cut beans to my left between the first 2 weed patches until she cut the tracks where I walked in.  She followed them to  about 50 yards from the stand then got nervous and cut behind the stand to get the wind. You know how that ended.

This was a great hunt and now we know why all you guys who have hunted with Kenny seem to like it so much!  A lot of the conversation on the 15 hour drive home was about coming back here to hunt again and what we would do differently next time.  A BIG Thanks to you Kenny...it was fun!

Craig is working on a video of our hunt and I will share a link to it on youtube when he gets it finished.  He had over 62GB of data to go through from gopro, video cam, cell phone and 35mm camera, but I think he is almost finished with it?  

BTW, Craig hunted with his Bob Lee recurve and I hunted with my Holm Made Osprey longbow and a Bob Lee curve.  Thanks,

-Mac & Craig
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2015, 10:41:00 PM »
Great Pictures. I love that lease. Hope to make it back one day.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 04:33:00 PM »
Nice Mac, thanks for sharing!!     :campfire:

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 05:57:00 PM »
Well made video Craig!!     :knothead:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »
Really Nice, Thank You!
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline Mac Hicks

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2015, 09:38:00 AM »
Craig finished the video so here is a link if you're interested.  This may bring back a few good memories for those of you who have hunted there.  

We didn't bring any meat back to Virginia, but we brought plenty of good memories and made a couple of new friends along the way.     :wavey:  

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2015, 09:56:00 AM »
great pictures and video     :thumbsup:

Offline Yellow Dog

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
Wonderful pic's and video, thanks for taking the time. It's impossible not to have a GREAT time hunting with Kenny.

:clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
One of the nicest hunting videos I've seen on TradGang.  This should probably be required viewing for all PowWow viewers!  Very nice job fellas!  I can see why hunting at Kennys is a special time!     :clapper:    :clapper:    :clapper:

Bernie

Online kennym

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2015, 01:17:00 PM »
Wow! That is a cool video, nice job guys!  :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
Stay sharp, Kenny.

Offline Morning Star

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2015, 07:03:00 PM »
Very nice fellas...
Iowa Bowhunters Association - Your voice in Iowa's bowhunting and deer hunting issues!

Offline Terry Green

• Administrator
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
Wow....thanks for the video....lots of memories brought back.  Man, makes me realize just how much I miss not being there the last two years.
Tradbowhunting Video Store - https://digitalstore.tradgang.com/

Tradgang Bowhunting Merchandise - https://tradgang.creator-spring.com/?

Tradgang DVD - https://www.tradgang.com/tgstore/index.html

"It's important,  when going after a goal, to never lose sight of the integrity of the journey" - Andy Garcia

'An anchor point is not a destination, its  an evolution to conclusion'

Offline Holm-Made

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2015, 11:53:00 PM »
Jacob and I enjoyed the video together.  thanks,  Chad

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©