3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: put barrs on feathers?  (Read 309 times)

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
put barrs on feathers?
« on: January 07, 2015, 04:53:00 PM »
I tried useing the search and couldnt findanything on it. I have some plain pink feathers and would like to put barrs on them. I know I can do it with a sharpie but is there  a better way using rite dye? If so could give me some direction on going by on doing it? Or is there something else that would work better other than dye or sharpie? I just dont think a sharpie would look very good.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Online the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: put barrs on feathers?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
I tried sharpie, but it didn't work out too good.  Thicker bars going opposite of feather grain helped.  I have heard that ink like you would by at craft store would work but have not tried it yet.  My wife has a houseful of rubber stamps I may need to borrow some ink.  Will be following this thread...

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »
I put some puppy foot prints on my little brothers feathers using a stamper. It looked good but the wiped off. Then I took a sharpie and colored the stamp pad with it. Then quickly stamped the feather it worked great. I was thinking I might be able to use dye on a q-tip and wipe it on giveing it not a a sharp line like a sharpie wood. I'm hoping someone has a good way of doing it.
 I know if it would be easier to buy some barred feathers. But I could do it and it turns out good. I could buy solid colors only andsave alot of money.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline Matt Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
bump this.  anyone got ideas to share?
mg
"If God didn't make an outside, I wouldn't have fun." Summer - my 4 year old daughter

Offline fujimo

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 11:08:00 PM »
i know this is not quite the same- but i have done the sharpie thing too, but lately i have spliced solid"bars" into my feathers.
 not the same turkey look at all- but does spruce up an arrow pretty nicely- for not too much work!

Offline Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2015, 11:11:00 PM »
Guys dye feathers with Rit dye and denatured alcohol. I've not tried it so test it first.  A Q-tip should work for the striping.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline tradshooter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 01:35:00 AM »
I have used India Ink and a model paint brush to put bars on white feathers and it worked ok.  On some I rinsed with water lightly and it grayed the white some between the bars and looked pretty good.  You have to experiment to see if it works the way you want.  Now I just cut and grind wild turkey feathers.  Best to you!

Offline PeteA

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 05:49:00 AM »
I've tried spray paint. A light spray through a stencil held at a slight distance off the feather. The idea sounded better then it looked.
Predator Hunter 46#@28
'70 Bear Kodiak Hunter 45#@28
'72 Bear Grizzly 45#@28

Offline Kris

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 01:20:00 PM »
If you can afford to buy feathers, I'd just suggest getting new Trueflight barred feathers...they are not the real thing but they very much look real and in a in good number of colors.

http://www.trueflightfeathers.com/

Kris

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©