3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Taxidermy, Mentors and a Learning Curve  (Read 671 times)

Offline wapiti792

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Taxidermy, Mentors and a Learning Curve
« on: January 08, 2015, 12:01:00 AM »
Things here in IL are slowing to a halt with bow season only having 12 more days. My buddy Sheltoncreeker is on a giant, and I am pulling for him. I am working to make up for my November! I did bail off for 4 days to spend time with my Great Uncle, a wonderful man who as far as role models go, is top shelf! Growing up with no dad around (at least not one that didn't spend a lot of time in jail) I looked up to him. A great hunter and trapper, the first recurve I ever shot was his old Herters. He looked after me, and at times gave me spending money by giving me some capes to work in his taxidermy shop. He is 80 now, not retired, but not knocking out 200 deer a year anymore either.

So, when I killed a great buck with my longbow I knew I wanted to spend a week with him, learning more of his trade to cover the day when he is no longer with me. Call it a family tradition....here is the link for the hunt if you are interested by the way:  http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=141028;p=1

So after taking measurements he got the form ordered and I headed to Tennessee, my growing up spot. We spent some time just catching up. I truly just love the man, and don't go a goodbye without telling him so. I owe him for who I am. Period.

I am no taxidermist. I work in healthcare, but know how to sew and excise soft tissue. I am fairly good at it, but nowhere near as meticulous as him. He took my cape and got to work. He uses no electric equipment to flesh with: a sharp knife, a scalpel and some dry tan. He put me to work like the old days:

*Neophyte

He worked on caping another deer while I worked. I seem to need more breaks than him and took this photo during a soda break. At 80 he works circles around me.

*Relentless

He helped me work my way through the rust, and along with his apprentice Crystal, I had the cape looking pretty clean. At least I thought so: they found a few high spots and had me back on the scalpel several times. After 8 hours I had it right. I was told that I had doubled their normal time  :)  

*Clean

After that I had some help with fleshing the eyes, ears and lips: kind of a see one, do one thing. I know I took forever, but I eventually got it right. The mask turned out well, with a smooth inner surface to work with.

*Mask

This ended a long day, so we called it. The next day we worked some on the bow rack I had in mind for my Talltines. I let the master handle this but watched attentively. I took the back legs and he the front...see one do one again. It is still drying and in the works, but it will be awesome to have something else of this beauty of whitetail to remind me of the hunt.

*Bow rack start

We took the rest of the day to finish up a couple of more deer so that I could see more of his technique. Setting the eyes and lips is such skilled work and the difference in great work and so-so work. I don't know if I can ever do as good a job as him. He has been "moving-the-derm" for 62 years.

Finally we put my deer on the form. Although I worked some he really did it all. I just got to be there to enjoy the experience and talk about hunting and fishing. He reminded me of that old Herters in the corner, the hunting license from the 50s that hung over his desk, and the smoothbore in the cabinet: all mine when he no longer was "living in the garage".  I tried not to think of that day, and just looked at what he was doing as art. Another trad bowhunter who when he hunted wasn't "trad" at all, but a hunter with a simple weapon who was looking to fill the freezer.

I left my mount there to dry, and I will get to spend a couple more days with him later in the month to finish it up. I may someday kill a bigger whitetail, but I will never look at this deer without thinking of my Great Uncle: Taxidermist, Bowhunter, Mentor.

*Drying

Hope you enjoyed this! I am amazed at the time and work taxidermist have in the finished product. I hope someday to be able to take my deer, killed with my longbow, from the field, to the table and to the wall. Thanks for reading.

Mike
Mike Davenport

Offline Jwilliam

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Taxidermy, Mentors and a Learning Curve
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 01:40:00 AM »
Great stuff Mike !!! Thanks for sharing   :thumbsup:    :notworthy:    

Bill

Offline KyStickbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:33:00 AM »
Thats awesome Mike! Thanks for sharing that brother!
Aim small...Miss small!!

Offline wooddamon1

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 04:56:00 AM »
VERY cool!   :thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
"The history of the bow and arrow is the history of mankind..."-Fred Bear

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 06:06:00 AM »
This is what is all about!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline Jayrod

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 06:10:00 AM »
Very cool mike it nice to see you spend time with him like that MEMORIES you will Never forget..well done man!
NRA Life member

Compton traditional bowhunter member

Offline Sawpilot 75

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »
Very cool! I can relate to your story. Enjoyed it!!

Offline MR BILL SHORTY

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 07:31:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:    :campfire:

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 07:32:00 AM »
Awesome story Mike. Its what Life is all about!
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 08:30:00 AM »
Awesome thread Mike! I was hanging on every word. I have always wanted to be able to do my own taxi work. If I had a family member that did it I would wear them out with offering my free labor. Haha. So cool you got to spend that time with your Uncle. Good on you Brother!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 09:04:00 AM »
Nice to have a mentor in your first mount, and a special mentor, too.  I learned by Braille, lots of strange creatures until I got it right.  Nice deer, one to remember
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline 4runr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
Beautiful buck Mike.

Thanks for sharing your relationship with your Great Uncle. That's good stuff!
Kenny

Christ died to save me, this I read
and in my heart I find a need
of Him to be my Savior
          By Aaron Shuste

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline TealCoin

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 09:36:00 AM »
Great read... Thanks for sharing.  Sounds like quite the man you get to spend time with!!

Offline bogeyrider63

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 09:40:00 AM »
Awesome story and a beautiful buck.

Offline Rick Butler

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2015, 09:43:00 AM »
:thumbsup:  Enjoyed that.
"I went to the woods because I wanted to live deliberately. To front only the essential facts of life and see if I could not learn what it had to teach and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived"- Thoreau
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline Joeabowhunter

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
That's just awesome Mike.

Offline Mark Baker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2015, 09:58:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :thumbsup:
My head is full of wanderlust, my quiver's full of hope.  I've got the urge to walk the prairie and chase the antelope! - Nimrod Neurosis

Online Tater

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2015, 10:17:00 AM »
Great story....that's what it's all about, time spent with family, passing on knowledge.

Nice work on the mount.
Compton Traditional Bowhunters Charter/Life Member
Big Thompson Bowhunters
United Bowhunters of Illinois
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline lt-m-grow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2015, 10:18:00 AM »
That is cool.  Fun story and some life-lessons all in one.

Thanks!

Offline FerretWYO

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2015, 10:24:00 AM »
I love it. Very cool mike. Very cool.
TGMM Family of The Bow

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©