3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Quick Question  (Read 275 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Quick Question
« on: January 08, 2015, 09:33:00 AM »
My FF string and arrows should arrive today or tomorrow. Should I shoot the bow several times before putting/setting nocks and silencer and what not? If so, how many shots?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Quick Question
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 09:39:00 AM »
VA,

I would recommend letting it be strung for a few hours or around 50 shots at least.  I would also use an adjustable nocking point in case you ever need to move it.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
Ok so if I get the string today, i should install it and let it sit overnight?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2015, 09:50:00 AM »
Yes, After you shoot it several dozen times

Offline Michael Arnette

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
I would put the silencers on first thing then shoot it and let it sit overnight before fine tuning it

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 09:55:00 AM »
String it and shoot away!

What I do with a new string is take masking tape and wrap it around the string for a nock. Wraps can be removed and moved as string settles in. Make sure to wrap tape underneath nock also as well as over.

You can also just use the crimp on brass nocks but I don't like those things as they tear up my gloves.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
ok, well I will be heading to the archery shop saturday, hopefully I can to shoot. thanks!

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
I would just shoot it, but check the brace height and nock location a bunch.  An easy way to see if there are changes to the brace is to put a ring ( marker ?  paint ?) around the arrow right at the location it touches the bow, when properly braced.

Now you can immediately see any changes.

Don't take this thing too seriously.  You can shoot a bow with terrible brace, offset nock point, unmatched arrows, the whole ball of wax.  

It just gets better and better as your skill does and as you start tuning your system better.

CHuckC

Offline kybownut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2015, 02:36:00 PM »
While you're at the bow shop see if they will sell you a few ft. Of serving material for tie on nock points. A little larger diameter than your serving works best IMO. T j is spot. On about using masking tape till you figure out exactly where it needs to be. A bow square is also very handy to have for measuring brace height and setting nocking points! Johnny
60" predator hunter 46# @28"
maddog bamboo backed hickory elb 53# @28"
traditional bowhunting is more than a choice of equipment!

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2015, 04:19:00 PM »
I use old strings I have laying around for the tie on nocks.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2015, 04:27:00 PM »
Stringing it and shooting it is the fastest way to get the string to settle. I'd just tie on anocking point and not set anything permanent until the stings settles at the ideal brace height.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2015, 04:38:00 PM »
So about 50 shots?

Offline bigbadjon

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2015, 05:45:00 PM »
It might be less, it might be more. You will just have to shoot it until it settles.
Hoyt Tiburon 55#@28 64in
A&H ACS CX 61#@28in 68in (rip 8/3/14)

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
If you can't shoot your bow when you get your string then string it up with your new string and hang it. Every time you walk by give it a few pulls to help stretch it.

When you first put the string on twist it up higher then your  brace hight and it will help stretch it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©