3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What do you guys think???  (Read 1092 times)

Offline adam

• Trad Bowhunter
What do you guys think???
« on: January 23, 2007, 01:18:00 PM »
Hey guys,
    I am planning on going on a hog hunt here in GA in a couple of weeks at my brother in laws house. I will be shooting my Ben Pearson recurve pulling #43 @27. Shooting goldtip traditional 35/55 with 125 3 blade muzzy's. I feel very confident shooting this set up out to 20 yards but some people have told me it just isn't enough to kill a hog. I think it is, but i just wanted to hear what you guys think.

Adam
Psalm 18:33

Offline Eric Krewson

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What do you guys think???
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 01:39:00 PM »
Your arrow weight is probably less than 400gr, couple this with low bow poundage and a three blade broadhead..... poor penetration.

Add weight to your shaft to get it over 500gr, shoot a two blade broadhead, and limit your shots to 15 yds and you will be ok.

Offline David M. Mathis

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 01:43:00 PM »
Its enough but hit them in boiler room. Low and tight behind the elbow. Mike

Offline tpoof

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2007, 02:11:00 PM »
I'm thinkin its too risky! I would be using a two blade head, the penetration just ain't great with low poundage and that muzzy.  me thinks Eric has it right!  Don't want no P,Oed porker runnin around!

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2007, 02:29:00 PM »
Muzzy...  sharpen to the point? if not junk it and shoot something that is, SHARP all the way to the point!!! If your arrows are around 420gr then your real close to the 10gr per pound. Make the shot count, pick a spot. I like quartering away shots, if not low and tight......As the hungry dog says..."Bacon!!"
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline mike g

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2007, 02:43:00 PM »
I too think a 2 blade will be better....
"TGMM Family of the Bow"

Offline adam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2007, 03:56:00 PM »
ok, so everyone thinks i should go with around 100 more grains in my arrow and a 2 blade broadhead. I have some zwickey broadheads here but need adapters so that will give me a little more weight. Then add 100 grain inserts and practice alot more and i shoud be good??

Offline Dryrot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2007, 04:01:00 PM »
If that much weight doesn't foul up your arrow spine to the point tha they are too weak it shoulddo the trick.
Larry

Offline tradlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2007, 04:09:00 PM »
The key to killing hogs is use the heavist arrow you can shoot out of your bow. Hogs are always moving around, its not always easy getting that perfect shoot.
Heavy arrow + pass through = Bacon
Darren

[email protected]

"Archery may not be the sport of all Kings, but Archery is the King of Sports"
Howard Hill

SunSet Hill, stringfollow, 66" [email protected]",

Offline DesertDude

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 12:55:00 PM »
Adam, Not going down the 2 blade 3 blade street. Nope ain't goin doit. I like 10gr per pound. nice mix of performance and weight. Most inportent things are "SHARP!!!" to the POINT broadhead and shot placement.......Mark
DesertDude >>>----->

US Navy (Retired)
1978-1998

Offline adam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 01:21:00 PM »
ok, i've decided to go with a 30 inch arrow instead of my 28, put in 100 grain inserts and shoot my zwickey broadheads. Do you guys think this will work?? It puts my arrow weight right at 530 grains. Also does anyone have any 100 grain brass inserts??

Offline Kingstaken

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 01:42:00 PM »
Wait,  I assume the brass insert you r talking about is at the tip so your gonna add 2 inches to the length of the arrow and weaken the arrow spine and add more weight to the head to weaken it even more?
Weight doesn't matter if the arrow's spine is to weak

Guys, am I am saying this corect???
"JUST NOCK, DRAW AND BE RELEASED"

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 01:44:00 PM »
If your arrow was tuned at 28 with regular inserts and the lighter heads, IT WILL NOT BE TUNED AT 30" AND A 100GRAIN INSERT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will be the decenter here, but I would rather see you shooting at a pig with an arrow tuned to your bow, than see you shooting one that is heavy that bounces off your riser and has TERRIBLE flight!!!!  

I would recommend narrower 2 blade heads though.

I think one of the keys to PENETRATION is an arrow that is tuned to the bow or vice versa.  You loose KE and MO in the crazy oscillations of an improperly spined and or tuned arrow.

BTW - I would guess the arrow would tune better with the heavier point wieght out of your setup, but you have to (Bareshaft Tune and or Broadhead Plane) to find out.  If you come from a compound background and are familiar with paper tuning, you could try that as well, but unless you have a CLEAN release, it will be hard to know for sure if you are right.
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline adam

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
Right now my 400 gr arows shoot great out of my bow they hit right where i look but everyone is telling me to go heavier. So i was going heavier and was going to retune and see what happened. Now i'm about to just give up on the hunt and buy a new bow and start over. Seems like the best option right now.

Offline Carbon Caster

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2007, 04:33:00 PM »
Have you shot broadheads adn fieldpoints together?  Do they both hit the same place???

If so, get some 125 grain 2 blade screw ins that are RAZOR sharp and go kill a pig!!!!
Gen 27:3  "Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;"

In His service,
Brian Rice

TGMM Brotherhood of the Bow

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2007, 08:01:00 PM »
OK Now I will confess that I'm not a carbon arrow shooter and I don't have any experiance with them BUT.....

I here many guy talking about "wieght up front" which just "seems" to me like it would just throw everything out of whack.(I know that most of these guys have it down to a "science" and can figure wieght vs spine changes in thier head) However.....I would hate to see you give up a hunt because you don't think you have "Heavy enough" equipment.

I have read articals before about "weighting" carbon arrows with nylon "weed-whacker" line. Basicly you take a piece of nylon line about the length of your arrow,wrap it with yarn so it doesn't rattle and insert it into the carbon shaft,then you install your screw-in insert. I would tip this wieghted arrow with a SHARP 125gr. 2 blade broadhead (Zwickey Eskimos are OUTSTANDING) and go pig hunting!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!! Let us know how you make out!!!!!
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Ironman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2007, 10:26:00 PM »
Adam, I personally think your setup is fine for hogs.At 400gr your arrows are approx 9.3gr per pound.As for the muzzys i have had good results with them but i shoot a 70# bow with 55/75 GT.
Just make sure your shot is on the money and if you can put a 2nd arrow in old  sowbelly for insurance. Have fun and hunt hard.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©