3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: My Aching Elbow  (Read 279 times)

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
My Aching Elbow
« on: January 09, 2015, 05:26:00 PM »
6 weeks age today I went out to do some scouting I was going up a 2 foot mound when my front foot went out from under me on an ice covered branch. I came down on my right side with my elbow pinned underneath me. Getting up off the ground I knew I did something just didn't know what.

I got home and asked my wife to help me get my heavy garments off and to the E.R. we went. X-Rays were negative but it looked like a 2nd degree sprain. 2 weeks later I went to my Ortho guy and he said it just takes time to heal. Instead of being a patient I'm an impatient.

I've been working with bands to help strenghten the elbow, but trying to draw a 30# bow ain't happening yet, the arm starts to collapse. Last week I finally got to the point where I could palm the steering wheel of my truck and can hold a plank for about 30 seconds. The advise I got from the doc was if it hurts-don't do it so I am following his instructions.

Except for a shoulder surgery on the same side back in 2008 this is the longest I've not been shooting and it's driving me NUTS. My question is for the folks that have had elbow sprains how long did it take you to start shooting again? I'm left handed so this is my bow arm.     :help:     Thanks!  Denny
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: My Aching Elbow
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 05:32:00 PM »
When I had elbow pain,my doctor recommended an elbow brace.Then I went on the net and looked up Physical Therapy exercises for elbow.Did those and rest and ice helped to clear it up for me.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
I had tendonitis, not a fall injury, but it healed at its own pace not on my schedule. Even with physical therapy, it took time - time without a bow in my hands. Even when I started back shooting, it was uncomfortable for a while. I still have flare ups that require down time. The doctor and your elbow will tell you when you are good to go, so don't overdo anything before the pill roller gives you clearance. Otherwise, you may cause irreparable damage. Good luck, and try to be patient.

During the down time, maybe you can inventory your gear and fix or replace items as necessary. Since you have a long wait ahead why not order a new bow and have something really great to wait for?
Sam

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »
Yea Sam, a lighter set of limbs for my Widders may be in order in. What I've been doing to kinda replace my shooting is tying flies. Can only do that so long.

JRY309, the brace may be an option in a few more weeks along with theraputic excercises.
Jeremiah 29:11 For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, saith the LORD, thoughts of peace, and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope.

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 09:19:00 PM »
My father dealt with elbow problems for a few years. He wore like a pressure cuff right under his elbow during activities for awhile. He said this realived pain and numbness that radiated down his elbow from the ulnar nerve I believe. Best of luck to ya you'll be back at it soon!
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline riverrat 2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 09:42:00 PM »
Good luck with that Denny. I had some of that in my drawing arms elbow few years back. No fun. Hot and cold therapy,and just baby-ing it helped get me through. 2 weeks of pain,then little bit of shooting began again. It made me drop poundage as well. Was shooting 55-60 pound bows before it. Sold them went to 47-50 pounds..Have not had an issue since. Wish you the best with it.  rat'
Make certain your exhausted when you reach them Pearly Gates.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
Thanks guys, in 2003 I slipped on black ice and caught the mid upper left arm on a cement step-severing my tricep. That's when I had to switch to left handed or hang it up. I'm kinda running out of arms here, but still optimistic.   :pray:

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
I feel your pain . I have torn ligaments and a partial bicep tear. I'll find out Monday what can be done and when.
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Offline lablover

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 12:15:00 AM »
Good luck keep up the therapy and be patient (not easy I know) I had a problem with my bow arm elbow last year a surgery later and a lot of work and I'm shooting again alabiet lighter weights and still hav some pain. But it's getting better after over a year.
Bowhunting is a passion, not an obsession. Its just hard for my wife to tell the difference sometimes.

Offline DennyK

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 02:40:00 PM »
Big Ed, Hope all turns out well for you. Throwing a couple prayers your way.  Denny

Offline Big Ed

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
Thanks buddy!!
"Get kids involved in the outdoors"

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©