3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What happend to rocky boots?  (Read 1850 times)

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
What happend to rocky boots?
« on: January 10, 2015, 06:10:00 PM »
My 1st pair of rocks I owned were the best boots I ever owned.
Well in sept. I bought another pair from cabela's different make the 800 core model. Well when I got them there was some extra material up in one of the toes that I knew would eventually drive me nuts. So I sent them back to cabela's for a full refund. I then went to a local store and found the same boots $20 cheaper than cabela's on sale so I had to try on two pair the first one I tried on had something jamming the side of my foot. Second pair felt good. So I wore them this fall and by Nov. I noticed o hole in the tounge along the stitching. Being it was getting cold I hunted the rest of the season with my warmer cabela's predator boots
Well, rockey has a one year warranty so I brought them back to the store. And had to explain how rockey wants you to bring them back  to the dealer and for them to handle the procedure. After talking to two managers they eventually said I was good I could get another pair of boots or a full refund. So I'm happy with this I went to look to see what they had for early season boots. I grabbed (against my own better judgement) the same 800 core. I brought them up the counter to complete my exchange and the lady pulled my new ones out of the box to scan and inspect them. When I noticed some bad stitching on the heel. I went whoa! And showed my wife who's knows a,thing or two about sewing. She said I would not buy those. So I got my money back. Went to a,different store and bought a nice pair of bushnells. They did have a higher quality looking pair of Rockies but I said noway I'm all done,with Rocky.
I don't understand how they can sell such poor quality they  use to be good. what Happened!
Thanks for listening to my rant.
Tim

Offline jt85

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: What happend to rocky boots?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 07:01:00 PM »
I also use to use rocky boots, no more
Black Widow PCH 58" 48#@28"
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 49@28
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 62" 52#@28
Wengerd Ibex 58" 50#@28

Offline attack

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 07:16:00 PM »
Same thing happened to Irish Setter. Used to be terrific boots, then a few years ago I believe they changed everything over to China to try and stay competitive. I have a pair of Irish Setter boots that I have had for 5 years and they are still in great condition. My buddy bought the same model this year and they didnt last 2 months.

CheckMate Firebird 56" 57#@28
CheckMate Falcon Special 60" 52#@28
Shakespeare Supe Necedah 54" 45#@28
Bear Blackbear riser 40# Sage limbs

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 07:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by attack:
Same thing happened to Irish Setter. Used to be terrific boots, then a few years ago I believe they changed everything over to China to try and stay competitive. I have a pair of Irish Setter boots that I have had for 5 years and they are still in great condition. My buddy bought the same model this year and they didnt last 2 months.
I actually looked at Irish setter too and they did not differ much from the Rockies they were a little more money wise so that's why I tried the Rockies again.
Seems like they are all made in China. I hope I have better luck with my bushnells. They looked of better quality but still china   :mad:

Offline Doug_K

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
Good to know, been using the same pair of rockies for the last ten years, love em, but they're getting pretty tired, planned on replacing them in the spring with a new pair.

Guess I'll be looking at other brands. LaCrosse still good?
60" W&W Black Wolf 55#
64" Bamabows Hunter 52#
60" Bamabows Expedition III 52#
70" Bamabows Hunter 55#
60" A.D.M Earth 63#

Offline Jon Stewart

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
Rocky boots are sold in Walmart if that tells you anything about them.

They were our go to boot when I was on the P.D.

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
That's too bad I have a pair that has been around a while and have been fine - still good to go. Good to know to look elsewhere when it's time to replace them
SWA Spyder

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 08:39:00 PM »
You take a good product, then cut back on the quality of materials, then send them to made by a kid in some 3rd world toilet and then charge 40% more for them.........that's what has happened to Rocky boots and a host of others. I truly believe it will get worse if that's possible.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
When I was a little kid "Made in Japan" was another way of saying "Junk". Nowadays, you say "Made in China" to say "Junk".
Sam

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 09:20:00 PM »
I went through a pair of Rocky boots on a sheep hunt in Alaska. Took about two days. That was in 1985. Thank god I had another pair with me. Never again.   :campfire:

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 09:35:00 PM »
I had a pair and the soles disintegrated on them. They were less than a year old. Tried to contact Rocky and they wouldn't even talk to me. I'll never buy anything Rocky again.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
Love my danners...never had Rocky's that last
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2015, 09:47:00 PM »
Next time you get in the boot buying mood, check out the Keen's for lighter weight hiking boots... I'm totally sold on the durability, and comfort with seriously dry feet ta boot...

Yup.... Rocky's went down hill a few years ago.

I've had great luck with my insulated Irish Setters, but i don't have a lot of serious milage on them yet.

Offline Chesapeake

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2015, 10:02:00 PM »
Lacrosse bought Danner, then got bought by a Japanese outfit. Now both are made in China except for a few of the high dollar Danner models that are still US made.

Lowa, Schnee's, Miendl, Asolo, Kenetrek, ect.. is where the quality is.
Rick

Offline frankwright

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2015, 10:03:00 PM »
My first pair of Rocky boots I bought about 15 years ago. It was my first pair of waterproof leather boots and I had my doubts.
Very first time I wore them a wounded deer ran across a 50 yard wide shallow creek and I had to walk across to get him and my feet stayed dry.
I wore those boots for everything for at leat five seasons and then one day after hunting I stopped for lunch and walking back to the truck my feet felt funny, the soles were coming off in chunks. I figured five years of hard use for $125 boots was not bad.
I bought another pair just like them and the soles fell off in one year.
All the boots sold at Academy,Walmart and other places are mostly made in China and the brand may be Rocky,Danner or whatever but they are made really sorry now.
I have heard of Rocky's leaking first time they were worn in wet grass.

Offline SheltonCreeker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2015, 10:04:00 PM »
Had a good pair of rocky's years ago. Bought a second pair and they didn't last anytime. Unfortunate that a lot of good hunting gear that once was trustworthy is now use at your own risk. Not gonna go into my opinions but we the consumer have been stripped of our choices. Unfortunate you went thru what you did. At least you got your money back.
"Other things being equal, it is the man who shoots with his heart in his bow that hits the mark." Dr. Saxton Pope

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2015, 10:07:00 PM »
I had a pair of Danners for 10 years, never leaked but got so they were not warm anymore. I have looked at new Danners and they are not the same or even close. I have a pair of Asolo hikers that I have had for more than 10 years and they just about wore out but still do not leak.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2015, 10:13:00 PM »
I had a pair of Rocky's when I was a kid and still have them. I wear Danner now. I don't think they are all made here Ron. The ones I bought are made here,but some models are made elsewhere.

Offline Fletcher

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2015, 10:18:00 PM »
Originally posted by Doug_K:
Guess I'll be looking at other brands. LaCrosse still good?
Lacrosse have made in China for several years now, too. They might be better than some of the others, but not nearly as good as the old Burlys.
Good judgement comes from experience.  Experience comes from bad judgement.

"The next best thing to playing and winning is playing and losing."

"An archer doesn't have to be a bowhunter, but a bowhunter should be an archer."

Offline shag08

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2015, 10:34:00 PM »
Rocky boots....newer Rocky boots....SUCK! Spend your hard earned money elsewhere.

I've been trying different boots. Mucks or BOGS are awesome for a rubber style boot.

I'm a logger and I buy logger boots for work. Georgia Boots loggers are the best made and toughest I have ever owned...period! They told me, at the boot store, that Rocky now makes Georgia boot loggers but I can't tell it from the quality. The last pair of Rocky boots I had came apart at the seams while the soles were literally crumbling to pieces...the boots were 6 months old.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©