3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What happend to rocky boots?  (Read 1851 times)

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What happend to rocky boots?
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »
I just bought a pair of Keen insulated boots for working outdoors this winter. I was pleasantly suprised. They are very solid and seem like they will last a good while. I sent back a pair of Chippewas that didnt agree with my feet.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2015, 01:59:00 AM »
I quit on Rocky boots a long time ago, maybe twenty years or so.  
Miendl's for me.  I have made four trips to Colorado for elk hunting and they will be on my feet next time as well.
I am sure there are other good ones also.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Online cacciatore

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2015, 04:38:00 AM »
I had 2 pair of Rocky loosing their soles in 2 different mountain hunts,coming back was not only painful but dangerous as well.
I still have a pair that I only use in camp.
I prefere to use beeter boots now at the end they will be cheaper anyway.
1993 PBS Regular
Compton
CBA
CSTAS

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2015, 06:42:00 AM »
I owned a pair of Rocky boots several years ago but the inside of the heal wore out and the sole was becoming detached within a month. So I returned them. I have a pair of Muck boots but don't wear them much after a controversy with them supporting anti-hunters. So I went back to L.L. Beans Maine Hunting Boot. Best move I ever done. My dad at the age of 74, has wore the same L.L. Bean boots since the early 70's. But he has returned them twice to get resoled though. Now, L.L. Bean Hunting Boots are backed ordered several months now. They have a half a million boots on backorder now.

Offline Tajue17

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2015, 07:08:00 AM »
1st NAFTA happened 2nd it was unemployment for all the people that made them so nice.
"Us vs Them"

Offline Panzer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2015, 07:15:00 AM »
Growing up in Ohio I spent a lot of time hunting south eastern Ohio. We had to travel right through Nelsonville to get to where we were hunting and we always stopped at the Rocky Boot factory to buy boots in there bargain bin. It's a shame what happened to Rocky products. I now wear Asolo boots.

Offline agross1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2015, 08:45:00 AM »
My first pair of Rockies I bought  about twenty years ago.  They were the best and longest lasting boots I have ever owned.   Then a few years ago , the soles all of a sudden just started falling apart.    Definitely got my money's worth.    Haven't been impressed with the newer Rockies and Irish setters.   I was looking into danners next, until I realized they are imported as well now.    So , what are some good , American made, hunting boots, that aren't going to cost 300 dollars?
Silvertip 60"  54#
64 Kodiak 60"  50#

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2015, 10:04:00 AM »
I still cling to my White's made in Spokane and Russell's.

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
Danners used to be good.  Wore them in the military at the Mountain Warfare Training Center without any incident.  Bought a pair of Pronghorns and they are OK, BUT when I went to get a backup pair, the quality fell in the intervening 10 years.  Boots are just too important not to get them right---before you are in the bush
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline German Dog

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Fletcher:

Originally posted by Doug_K:
Guess I'll be looking at other brands. LaCrosse still good?
Lacrosse have made in China for several years now, too. They might be better than some of the others, but not nearly as good as the old Burlys. [/b]
Yep there really is a difference between the new Burly's(the last 10 or 12 years) that come from china and the ones that were originaly made in the USA.

Online Tom

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2015, 10:36:00 AM »
I have a pair of 10 year old Rockies that I wear just for hunting season that have been resoled but are still waterproof and with new insoles yearly are still going strong. But understand the newer versions aren't worth anything-the soles are terrible and Rockie's warranty is a joke.
The essence of the hunt for me is to enter nature and observe+ return safely occasionally with the gift of a life taken.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2015, 11:04:00 AM »
When they moved from Ohio to China they turned into junk.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2015, 11:42:00 AM »
Originally posted by Wapiti Chaser:
When they moved from Ohio to China they turned into junk.
Absolutely true, though they weren't much of a boot when made here in Ohio. Rocky's headquarters and mfg facility was in Nelsonville, OH. The setting and facilities had long been a dependable employer in the area, and Rocky did have a decent reputation as an American boot maker back a few decades. When Rocky moved their mfg overseas, they basically pink-slipped their employees in Ohio and never looked back. I owned a couple pair of USA Rocky boots and they were hardly capable of putting up with heavy use for multiple years. I junked them as they collapsed around my feet.

I'm not anti-Asia and a lot of what I own comes across the ocean. I'm anti-Rocky because I honestly feel they abandoned the people who built the company...and because their boot quality today is about on par with Skechers at the mall, or maybe a pair of Bunny slippers.     :rolleyes:

Offline md126

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2015, 11:43:00 AM »
What Chesapeake said x2!!

Offline Sirius Black

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2015, 02:53:00 PM »
I'm still wearing a 20 year old pair of Lacrosse boots with original insoles. They've been great. But I shutter at the thought of having to buy new boots, there's so much junk out there now.
Wisconsin Bowhunters Association - Life Member

Offline jonsimoneau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2015, 03:12:00 PM »
It's hard to find a good pair of boots these days. If I were looking for new ones right now I wouldn't know where to start!

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »
Hoffman boots in Idaho makes some nice boots, similar to Schnees.

Offline Bullfrog 1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2015, 04:19:00 PM »
I found a pair of rocky snow stalkers that I had in storage. They totally deseniagrated when I touched them. I'm using a pair of Irish setters and have been pretty happy with them. Mendles are hard to beat. They last forever.   Bill

Online Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2015, 05:29:00 PM »
Now days, if you want a good long lasting boot you are going to have to put out some serious $$$.  Not gonna find a boot that is going to hold up to hard use and abuse for $125-50 bucks anymore, use those for raking leafs and working in the garden.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Bill Turner

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »
I visited Cabela's last July and tried on everything they had in the store, foot wear wise, that appealed to me. I finally decided on a  pair of the "Meindl Ultimate Hunters". This is a very comfortable boot that I would recommend to anyone, but it is not cheap($279.95). With that said, I did return my first pair, after 2 months of light use, because of a minor problem. Cabela's replaced the boots with a new pair without question. Of all the boots offered by Cabela's the Danner's were by far my biggest disappointment. As stated by others, quality outdoor footwear is hard to find.     :campfire:

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©