3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: What happend to rocky boots?  (Read 1852 times)

Online The Whittler

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: What happend to rocky boots?
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2015, 06:16:00 PM »
Made in China, it was junk when I was a kid (through the 50s & 60s) and it still is. It's nice to know some things don't change.

Offline Soonerlongbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2015, 07:27:00 PM »
Originally posted by attack:
Same thing happened to Irish Setter. Used to be terrific boots, then a few years ago I believe they changed everything over to China to try and stay competitive. I have a pair of Irish Setter boots that I have had for 5 years and they are still in great condition. My buddy bought the same model this year and they didnt last 2 months.
My Irish Setter work boots are already jacked up! Hole in the tongue from the laces within 4 months! However, working for "The Flying H" means I go thru even great boots about every 6 months.
PSE Legacy 55@28
Diamondback Venom 55@28

US Army MP 2000-'08

Offline JMR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2015, 08:59:00 PM »
I also recommend the Keen boots. I bought a pair for work and they are the most comfortable pair of boots I've owned in quite awhile.I don't know if they make "hunting" boots but I will be checking them out when the pair I have now wear out.

Offline Stump73

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #43 on: January 11, 2015, 09:17:00 PM »
Bought my first pair of bear claw rockies alittle over 20yrs ago.I wore them everywhere and in any weather condition for about 6or 7 yrs until I wore holes out in the soles. Had to put peices of card board in them so I wouldn't wear out the insoles. Finally bought a new pair and 2nd pair lasted about 5yrs. 3rd pair lasted a season.Then I switched to rubber boots. They lasted a while. But the last 6 or 7 yrs I was going through a pair a year. They just dont hold like they use to. I usually hunt from  season open to close and also rabbit seaon which is the worst on them tromping through briars and thuck brush. This fall I was deer hunting anx crossed a creek which was about 8" deep and booth boots filled up with water. They had cracked right across the ankle.  I was hunting again the next morning so I had to gobuy a new pair of boots. Not buying another pair of rubber boots so I looked and every thing was junk except for so high dollar boots which I couldn't afford so I had to buy a pair of Rockies again. Hopefully they will get me through a couple of seasons.
BigJim Thunderchild 54" 52# @ 28"
BigJim Thunderchild 56" 42# @ 28"

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2015, 06:30:00 AM »
I had an original pair of Rocky Boots that were made in The Good Ole U.S.A.! They lasted me at least 15 years!  I only used them for around 2/3rds the hunting season then I switched to My Made in Canada Sorel's. The problem is everything is made in CHINA now! Pretty soon the labor costs will get to high in China then the manufacturers will start in Vietnam like some are doing already.  Thank God LL Bean boots are still made here! I wear my Bean Boots early season and My La Crosse 1200 Burleys or my Muck Woody Sports mid to late season. We have Winter Bow in Jersey until the 2nd week in February. Hope I helped.

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2015, 06:32:00 AM »
Wapiti Chaser hit the nail on the head! Great Answer!

Offline bentpole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2015, 06:35:00 AM »
Doesn't Cabela's give a 100% money back or credit guarantee?   :readit:

Offline JMG

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2015, 06:59:00 AM »
Cabela's only gives a 100% refund between 30-90 days after purchase, pending on what was purchased. Anything after 30-90 days, the customer must go through the manufacture that can be a lengthy process. Been there, done that.
  L.L. Bean is the best boot I ever wore. May be a little pricey but well worth it. They are severely backordered, (500k orders), though, but worth the wait.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2015, 07:43:00 AM »
If I caught one while fishing, I'd Throw it back.

First pair of Rockies lasted 10 years. second about 8 months.

I switched to Meindl and have been pleased. They are a little heavy but I will take the extreme comfort over light anyday. So far they have endured 4 years of steady abuse.
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
Originally posted by bentpole:
I had an original pair of Rocky Boots that were made in The Good Ole U.S.A.! They lasted me at least 15 years!  I only used them for around 2/3rds the hunting season then I switched to My Made in Canada Sorel's. The problem is everything is made in CHINA now! Pretty soon the labor costs will get to high in China then the manufacturers will start in Vietnam like some are doing already.  Thank God LL Bean boots are still made here! I wear my Bean Boots early season and My La Crosse 1200 Burleys or my Muck Woody Sports mid to late season. We have Winter Bow in Jersey until the 2nd week in February. Hope I helped.
Sorrels are made in China too.

Offline Slimpikins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2015, 08:39:00 AM »
Had a pair of Rocky boots made in the early 90's. Had to resole them because I walked the soles off the bottom. Had a pair of Rockys from 2005-2007. Hunted one season and the bottoms became all soft and sticky and crumbled off. They also leaked like a sieve on a dewy morning.

Offline JD Page 1965

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
China = Junk! Hope America gets it together again someday and we are able to buy quality goods made in the USA.
Assenheimer 62" 56 @ 28
Silvertip 60" 53 @ 28

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2015, 09:57:00 AM »
Irish setter I believe is now owned by RedWing, but the Setters are made in China. I have a pair, while they aren't bad they feel chinch.

I have a pair of Rocky's 1000grams of insulation, water proof, with the Sent lock and like bentpole, I only use them for part of the season, so they have held up well, but they are at least 10-12 years old.

I mostly use my Hanwags, though a back packing boot they are very comfortable and on sale were a steal.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline kill shot

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2015, 11:10:00 AM »
I thought I was the only one pouting about made in china stuff. Kids in china can't make a product as good as American men and women.

Online LookMomNoSights

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2015, 11:38:00 AM »
I dont ever remember Rocky being good!   Was always crap as far as I knew.......
I'll be boot shopping myself pretty soon now....gonna try LLBeans Maine Hunting boot,  the tall ones.  They bost that they are all hand sewn right there in Maine....made in USA.  Next time Im up that way,  Im gonna pop in to try them on so Im not buying blind.  Been using Alpha Burlys for the past 6 to 8 years.  They are good.....but not perfect.

Online dnovo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
I had a pair probably 20 years ago and while I don't really remember how good of a boot they were, I do remember that no matter what I did they ate my socks. Never could get them to stay up. Not a problem with any other boot.
I got my 2nd pair about 6-7 years ago. I only wore them hunting, mostly a couple weeks a year. 3rd year they fell apart. I couldn't have had a couple months use out of them. Swore I would never buy another pair.
PBS regular
UBM life member
Compton

Online Pine

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »
I am no longer a Carhartt fan either . Those are junk as well .
It's easier to fool someone than to convince them they have been fooled. Mark Twain

If you're afraid to offend, you can't be honest.

TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline JohnV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2015, 02:13:00 PM »
When it comes to boots, clothing, and other such gear you tend to get what you pay for.  I learned long ago that in the long run it is far cheaper to spend big dollars for high-quality gear than go with cheaper stuff that wears out of breaks down too quickly.
Proud Regular Member of the Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline Pointer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2015, 02:17:00 PM »
Good boots are hard to find...the old names mean nothing now because they are all made in China. I still have a pair of Rocky CornStalkers from 20 years ago. Don't use them much but they are far better than what Rocky makes now.

Offline traditional beagle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2015, 08:09:00 PM »
Rockys have been the most reliable weather report I have had for 20 years. I know 3 days in advance when it is going to rain.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©