3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feather chopper and full length  (Read 604 times)

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
Feather chopper and full length
« on: January 10, 2015, 06:31:00 PM »
I am considering a feather chopper. My question is how many 4" or 5" feathers will I get out of a full length feather.

Offline Caughtandhobble

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feather chopper and full length
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 07:04:00 PM »
I usually get one 5" out of the feathers that I chop. The left overs are long enough to make flu flu fletching. I will guess that you could likely get two 4" fletchings on big feathers.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 07:12:00 PM »
I think out of 5-700 feathers full length feathers of various colors from tru flight & bearpaw I've had, only a very small percentage of them would have made 2 decent 4" fletch.

For the most part if you ever found 8" of feather to deal with the tail end of the second feather will have a very narrow base.

I bought a chopper quite a few years ago with the thought of saving money. Basically thought I could buy full lengths for the price of one pre-cut feather. Then out of that full length get 2 fletch.
...basically 1/2 the price right?..... WRONG!..lol

Just doesn't work out.

I'm glad I have the chopper for custom shapes though.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 07:26:00 PM »
Ok Zradix. That is hat I was wondering. I will just stick with ordering pre cut feathers. Thanks.

Offline the rifleman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
I use a feather burner and almost always can get 2 4 3/8 inch feathers out of one full length.  I've found the solid color feathers to be longer, but most of the time can get 2 out of a barred feather.  Amg and truflight.  The bases do get a little thin width wise on one feather, but still work for me.

Offline JRY309

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 12:35:00 AM »
The full length feathers these days are not as long as they used to be years ago.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 11:54:00 AM »
If you cut a 5" fether, will there be enough to make a feather for a kid's arrow? Out toward the end, is the feather still stiff enough?
Sam

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 01:20:00 PM »
how long of kids feather?

you could get a 2" quite often.
any longer and your % of kids feathers will go down pretty quickly.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Blackhawk

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 02:30:00 PM »
Having a 4" AND a 3" chopper comes in handy when you run into those shorties...which is much too common these days.
Lon Scott

Offline zepnut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 12:13:00 PM »
x2 what Lon said.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
As JRY points out, feathers aren't as long today as they were just a few years ago.  Now, they tend to be 7-10 inches.  Several years ago they were 10-12 inches and longer.  Wild birds still yield feathers that long, of course, but domestic birds are grown so fast and butchered at such a young age that they no longer develop longer wing feathers.  Rather sad, I think.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 12:41:00 PM »
I agree with Orion.
The feathers are also "weaker".
They just don't have time to grow a nice firm strong feather.
Heck, I'm worried in a few years they might breed em to grow so fast they won't have time for feathers at all. I'm sure Butterball would like to not need to pluck em...lol

I'd say the lengths he states accurately reflects the length of good wide base on the feather. The feather itself is often longer with maybe around 1.5"-2.5" of additional length with questionable/worrisome base width.

Online black velvet

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 06:38:00 PM »
I usually get one good 5 inch and the leftover I use for splicing or 3 inch feathers for the youth arrows.

Offline Red Beastmaster

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 08:25:00 PM »
One good 5" and most times a decent drop that is good enough for a stumper arrow.

Full length feathers used to be longer, especially the white ones. I used to get two 5" from a white feather. I've noticed a definite reduction in length over the last 25 years. I guess more protien goes for the breast meat and less for feathers.
There is no great fun, satisfaction, or joy derived from doing something that's easy.  Coach John Wooden

Offline acollins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 11:19:00 PM »
Thanks for all the info. Greatly appreciated.

Offline randy grider

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 11:45:00 PM »
I like the 4" shield cut chopper. I can get 2 fletchings from most feathers, and since it is a tall fletch, that's plenty to stabilize flight, especially when carefully tuning carbon arrows, extra fletch just hurts speed.
its me, against me.
member KTBA,MCFGC,UBK,NRA

Offline LostNation_Larry

• Tradbowhunter
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »
A few years ago (5?) Tru Flight changed their standard for a full length feather.  I do not remember the details but the end effect was a smaller percentage of full length feathers will yield 2 chopped 4" than in the past.  The good news is the price of full length feathers also went down.
www.lostnationarchery.com
Where "Traditional" means "Personal Service."

Online Pat B

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 09:35:00 AM »
For consistency, one fletch from a full length feather. The remainder can be used for kids arrows.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline ddauler

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
I use a young feather burner I burn mine high and 5 1/4 - 5 1/2 inches I like big feathers only pne per feather kids fletch from some.
Mohawk Sparrowhawk 47# 64"
Ton of selfbows
Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
PBS Regular Member

"I have been their friend and mortal enemy. I have so loved them that I longed to kill them. But I gave them far more than a fair chance." Will Thompson

Offline Rufus

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 12:45:00 PM »
Originally posted by Red Beastmaster:
One good 5" and most times a decent drop that is good enough for a stumper arrow.

Full length feathers used to be longer, especially the white ones. I used to get two 5" from a white feather. I've noticed a definite reduction in length over the last 25 years. I guess more protien goes for the breast meat and less for feathers.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©