3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: How Can Brass Insert Bend Without Carbon Damage  (Read 362 times)

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
How Can Brass Insert Bend Without Carbon Damage
« on: January 10, 2015, 07:17:00 PM »
Guys,

I had a bad shot that hit a piece of steel.  It blew the nock out and bent the field tip and also the 100 grain brass insert.  The strange thing is that I fully expected a destroyed arrow or at least the insert shoved back inside.

Any of you guys had this happen before?

I am actually worried that there is something wrong with the shaft even though I have tested it thoroughly.

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: How Can Brass Insert Bend Without Carbon Damage
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 07:31:00 PM »
I have had the exact thing happen to me, I shoot GTs and use the 100grn brass inserts. When it does happen depending on the particular arrow I will generally relegate that one to a practice arrow only, especially if I cant get the insert out. I believe I have 3 currently in my gear box waiting to be reused just not for hunting and a broadhead. I have yet to ruin an arrow when it happens which is generally when I connect on my 3D target leg or some where else it shouldn't go.

Offline JamesKerr

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2015, 08:37:00 PM »
I have had it happen but strangely enough it has always been in conjunction with a bent steel broadhead adapter. I have bent 3 or 4 steel broadhead adapter's over the past few years but not damaged the arrow as far as I can tell. I have never had it happen with brass inserts and blunts or field tips or even an aluminum adapter which I am now using. Come to think of it I have bent more steel adapters than anything else with the use of a brass insert. Aluminum adapters, field points, and blunts all have held up fine on hard impacts.
James Kerr

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2015, 10:32:00 PM »
I think the type and extent of damage is dependant upon the type of hit.  A straight on solid hit will typically drive the insert back into the shaft and it is toast.  An oblique of angled hit, especially with a long broadhead, or with a point like Hammerheads which stick out to the side quite a bit will typically cause a bend in the head, adapter or insert, with or without shaft damage.

ChuckC

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2015, 10:57:00 PM »
I guess what I am asking is how can the shaft flex so much that the brass insert is bent?  This is all within an inch of the front of the shaft.  I cant get the shaft to flex that much in such a short distance. Sure, it will flex over a longer radius but this is crazy!

-James

Offline old_goat2

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 03:18:00 AM »
Happens all the time with my N-fused ST Epics, replace the insert and it's back in business.
David Achatz
CPO USN Ret.
Various bows, but if you see me shooting, it's probably a Toelke in my hand!

Offline MCS

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 06:48:00 AM »
Big Jim told me to watch for that. It is strange but it does happen.

Offline BigJim

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 08:49:00 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the arrow...providing you have determined it was cracked/split.

I too am amazed, but it happens.

BigJim
http://www.bigjimsbowcompany.com/      
I just try to live my life in a way that would have made my father proud.

Offline cloudbaseracer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2015, 08:59:00 AM »
So I looked closer and the arrow is actually cracked....BUT......not on the the front end. It has a small crack at the nock end that goes about an inch or so towards and down one side of a feather.

I guess when the front flexed so much and bent the insert it then transferred that energy to the opposite end?  It threw out the nock and cracked the shaft.

Do you guys know if this can be repaired?  Part of me thinks that it could be epoxied back together? Maybe glue the nock in there with it to make it all one solid piece?

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »

That is why I foot my carbons on both ends
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline motorhead7963

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
I would tend to think the arrow slapped something during the incident, especially if it is cracked on the opposite end, now with that said. I have done a repair only once to that particular type of issue, and I would use caution doing so if you do what I did. I cracked one of my arrows on the trailing end and it didn't quite make it to my fletching so I got out some monofilament fishing line and tied/wrapped it round the back end of the arrow and then coated it with the glue of my choice which is Goat tuf glue. I then glued in the nock so there was a lot less chance for the arrow to split upon release. Result was, I shot that particular arrow for another 2 1/2yrs until I robin hooded it and then it was toast.

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 01:21:00 PM »
I have bent several brass inserts with no damage to the shaft. I just pull the insert, check the shaft, and if no cracks, install another insert.

As far as repairing a cracked shaft, I would not. If I was just going to use the arrow for stumping or such (and had the length), I would just cut off the cracked part and refletch. Either that or trash the cracked shaft.

Bisch

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 02:14:00 PM »
Carbons can split at either end from a hard frontal hit( thus the need for footing and "nock collars)
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline Lonehowl

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
Yep, I've had it happen twice. Hit a piece of concrete both times. It don't take much to tweak brass.
Mark

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©