3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backcountry Tipi buying help  (Read 2672 times)

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backcountry Tipi buying help
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2015, 07:10:00 AM »
AkDan, it's interesting that you say if someone wants some camping equipment tested that your the man for the job, and I don't doubt it but, did you know that Patrick spends way more than 200 days a year out in the bush testing his gear before he ever puts it on the market. Most of the ideas and patents he has, has come to him while he was out camping or testing, and doesn't just go off the road, he goes way,way back off the grid. I've met him more than once and he is a real nice guy.

Love my Sawtooth but haven't really used it to pack far in as yet. If your going with two people the Saw is perfect as you can divide up the various parts of tipi.

IF YOU KNOW YOUR GOING TO USE THE STOVE, YOU DON'T NEED THE LINER AS THE STOVE WILL RID THE TIPI OF ANY CONDENSATION.
Also, if your going solo, you only need half of the liner for one side of he tipi.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2015, 11:13:00 AM »
A liner is still darn nice when running a stove. A stove may be able to rid western condensation but I've yet to find one that can get rid of condensation when running it here in the Southeast.

Offline Biathlonman

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2015, 11:18:00 AM »
The owner of Wyoming lost and found posts pretty regularly over on another site I frequent. He has some interesting designs and materials.  I know in the past he had quite the reputation for being a "drunk" but I was happy to see him recently post that he had been sober for a few months.

I'd still put him well behind the others for your needs.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2015, 06:56:00 AM »
If you have a sever condensation problem get a tipi or tarp with the anex and make sure you can have two openings, this will help dry it out. I  am thinking of sending my Sawtooth back to have a small door put in on the low side or opposite side from the front, but so far, it hasn't really been too bad with the condensation.

I'm going to install Velcro on my liner ties to help with a faster setup and tear down of the liner, or if one is not packing in, you can just leave the liner on when stowed away.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 07:15:00 AM »
njloco...

I'm curious about your Sawtooth. How do you think it would perform as a one-man + gear basecamp for elk, moose, caribou in the backcountry? I've been considering one for Alaska this fall. Super Cub in, weight-restricted on gear, etc. Thanks.

Offline Montanawidower

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 11:19:00 AM »
I own a Kifaru 8 man, but I'm working with Brian at WYOMING LOST AND FOUND for my next one.   WLF has 6 folds in the seems and he wraps them around an inner paracord.   He has no exposed external threads to seam seal upon delivery.  Kifaru has 4 folds and stitch holes you can see light through.  

Two annoying things about Kifaru:  
1) Seam sealing repeatedly

2) The stretch factor in the seams.  This stretch causes sag almost immediately and every day I'm raising the pole/ readjusting the stakes to keep it taught.  If it sags it luffs in the wind and drives me crazy.  (sailors also know luffing ruins fabric.  Check out a flapping tarp after 60 miles of luffing.  Its nearly tattered.)

Brian,I think, has solved both of my major gripes.   The internal cord ed seams means the first time you pitch it, you get it tight and it stays tight.  The rolled seams are pretty ingenious as well.  

I have used my Kifaru for 8 seasons in both Alaska and countless days in the Montana backcountry.   I breed and pack Llamas and thus my Kifaru has been through the ringer.   They are still the industry standard.  But like all things, it is far from perfect.  

On a side note, Brian and I are designing a ultra lightweight, floorless, wall tent hybrid that I think is going to be the cats meow.   I'll keep you posted.    I should have the prototype this summer to test out.  

Jeff

Offline Tim in Wa.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 10:58:00 PM »
I've got a Kifaru 6 man tipi and I really like it.I've had it since 2006.With that said I've heard nothing but good things about Seek Outside

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2015, 01:50:00 AM »
Nj, I have no doubt about a kifaru being a quality tent. Its on my hit list to buy!!! I do believe I mentioned that.  They're a dang fine tent by all standards.   For what the OP is asking for, a light weight tent he can stand in, I don't think the  kifi is it....  the sawtooth is what 4.5 plus stove weight?

What I'm saying is if there's a flaw I'll find it, its not bragging, its the simple fact I use my gear and use it hard....I spend plenty of time outdoors a year and none of it is in easy country, in the ditch or in the middle of no where!  I'm not bragging about being someone better than anyone else....just stating the fact I live in a hard country on top of being hard on gear....if there's a chink, it surfaces usually quickly.

I do question all of the kifaru's weight, the saw-tooths being the lightest he can stand in.   A 6 man sized for 2 is not what I consider packable or remotely light, add in the stove etc...its not a good solo tipi imho!

at 1400 bucks with the liner and a medium stove, its also not cheap.   I think there is better options.  But that's coming from a sheep guys mentality.   4lbs is too heavy for 1 guy!

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 07:33:00 AM »
"Light" is definitely relative to the person and their intended application. There's "sheep light" and then there is "light" for all the normal people.    ;)   It might help if we knew what weight he (Steve) needs to stay within, and how many people will be occupying.

I can remember when a 4-season x 2 man geo-dome tent was easily ten pounds many years ago. Sub-4 pound shelters were an anomaly. So were backpacks under 7 pounds. Things have come a long way for us ounce/gram-weenies. A 4.5# Sawtooth sounds pretty light to me, considering the headroom and overall footage. A liner drives it up to 5.8 pounds, but that's not even close to my 8-man w/liner, 4 section alum pole and sack of pegs. I get a bit weird when I look at a shelter that packs down smaller than my jacket, and I know it has to protect me in weather that might kill me.

As for a stove, totally optional. Leave it behind for high elevation or serious UL trips. No way would I backpack a stove, except for use in a basecamp setting. Even small titanium woodstoves are a luxury with weight penalty (however small) and easily set aside to save ounces or pounds.

Good discussion.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
Kevin, reading old sheep books and their packing lists makes my back ache to this day LOL!  if you ever get the chance find Duncan Gilchrists sheep book, if you're lucky  you'll find his original which rings of Doug and Yotes ground.

the one joy of where you're chasing moose...you have plenty of wood at the location....and still within hiking range of structures.   Even in sheep country a similar situation saved my bacon in 2002!  Solo, 16 days, dead ram, complete camp, 25 mile hike, and terrible home made dehydrated meals I ended up not eating.  Basically I was starving myself.   I honored my buddies wishes not to eat meat without him (never again!!)   it's an epic weight loss diet LOL!   head first into a creek with a pack you cant stand up with, bear getting into a stash of gear and raft and a partner who didn't show for another week.   I cant wait to get back!  

5.8lbs with liner, plus stove.  If I go with a tent like this a stove is a mandatory option!  I'd be out chasing wolves on my days off if I could afford a 6man kifi and the large stove!  the savings account is growing albeit slowly, hunting even for a res is not cheap by any means and I'm not touching your cub hunts, I can only dream and view the valley by winter.   We do have an arctic oven on the line near your hollowed grounds though I gave up my spot on the line this year.   Its just not worth chasing wolves at the price of fuel and wear and tear on gear.

There's no such thing as bomb proof.  I believe Mike and John had a kifaru basically explode in those Tok winds.   Location location location!  Camping on a hill in Kansas has its consequences LOL!

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »
AkDan, you say their are better options, but do not list any of them.  I would be curious to find out which ones you find better then the Kifaru or Hilleberg setups.

I' personally have a Sawtooth, hilleberg Atko, and Hilleberg Soulo. I haven't used these tents outside of coloroado and montana, but I have never had a problem with any of them.  This includes being used at 14,000 + ft, above tree line in high winds.  The Atko is the only one that I have had "sag" in heavy wet snow.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
The Kifaru brand isn't for the weak-of-wallet I agree. That's no cheap shot on anyone either. I had to think long and hard on my tipi 8 years ago.

I have a friend in central AK who swears by his Sawtooth. He's used it from seaside (Kodiak, etc) to mountain-top (after sheep) and everything in between. Now...he's not hunting solo and usually has at least one other partner in camp. He's as completely hardcore as I've ever met.

I'm good to go anyway. I hope this thread has helped Steve figure out what he wants in a shelter for his hunt(s). See you on the mountain.

Offline RAGHORN 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2015, 10:13:00 AM »
For those of you who are on a tight budget, but still interested in this type of shelter? Do a search for Appy Trails Mark v. Lots of people happy (for the money) with this shelter, especially during the early season...

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
Kevin I agree with Dan, the Sawtooth IS NOT a good one man tipi for really packing in. That is why I will probably go for a Super tarp with the anex. If your going with a partner hunting then the Sawtooth is good, because you can split up carrying the parts.
I will use the Sawtooth if we use pack animals and the Super tarp for packing in.

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
Originally posted by njloco:
Kevin I agree with Dan, the Sawtooth IS NOT a good one man tipi for really packing in. That is why I will probably go for a Super tarp with the anex. If your going with a partner hunting then the Sawtooth is good, because you can split up carrying the parts.
I will use the Sawtooth if we use pack animals and the Super tarp for packing in.
So if I read you correctly, your main Sawtooth objection is the weight at 4.5+ pounds. In a drop camp setting (bush flight) that's a non-issue usually. Any other downside?

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2015, 12:17:00 PM »
Kevin, I don't think a sawtooth is out for you at all.  As a matter of fact if I don't go with the 6 or 4 man the sawtooth is going to get the nod for the first.   The 6 is going to end up a winter tent for me...heat heat heat!  -40 leaves something to be desired even in a -60 bag LOL!  But I have to ask if you're doing the same moose trip which I assume you are and knowing your conditions and location, what's wrong with kicking the kifaru out the door.  You cant get in with one plane, which I'd doubt even with my pack would be possible. I've had it at 52lbs for 12 days solo with spotting scope.  Its changed since than and my weights jumped up a to 54/55lbs.  My goal is 14 days at 50 solo.  

Tutanka,

The hard part is finding a packable tent that's got the standing room and isn't heavy.  What can you live without, weight? heater? space?  By heavy I mean 4+lbs.  I asked some questions that went unanswered for the moment, and offered up what imho is the best option at a fraction of a kifaru in cost and just as durable.  I again for the 3rd time will not in any way dispute kifaru's being great tents and have spent time in them!  and like I have said multiple times in this post alone WILL own one myself in the near future.  IMHO, a tipi with the liner and stove is NOT what I, myself, would consider packable by any stretch of the imagination!  Throw in the liner which I've been told and have used is recommended for what I'd be using it for (and we used in a September hunt as well), you up your weight even more. Thsis the reason I threw the kifaru out of the mix.   There is no wrong answer here, some are great, most are good with a few being well off the chart (not posts but available tents).  I don't believe buying a kifaru is anything better than good for a light weight packable tent even though its quality and room to weight ratio, plus the added stove option, it lacks in the weight department....and of course the 1500appx cost depending on model and features you go with.   Money well spent if its a tent you'll use, but not a back packing tent a most folk are going to want to hump any serious distance.

The tent I offered is no longer made and I didn't catch that until after I posted originally, it was by far the best in class that offered everything, weight, room, but lacked a stove. It sleeps 3 comfortably and the weight is crazy light! I was going to post a link to it complete with specs, but found the bad news.  That doesn't mean you cant find one if you looked for it.  For a person who doesn't need heat and wants to maintain weight I still believe the shangrila 3 without the tub is by far the best tent going!  With the tub you've jumped into the 4+ lb range From a little over 2lbs which means the sawtooth comes close enough to be considered.

My point is this there are a plethora of tents on the market.  There are 0 bomb proof shelters even though some companies advertise as such.  Its pretty obvious to guys who have spent any time in them that some do better than others.   If you camp on top of a hill in a tornado, well..you get the my drift!  There's some common sense to tent camping in severe conditions! I wont be caught dead on Kodiak in nov with a clip 3 cd...but wouldn't hesitate to run the north face for a later hunt where in an early august hunt the clip 3 cd would be fine.   The gales of November were born on the south side of the island!

I've run everything from a tarp and a fox hole (thanks army) though quickly jumped to a bivy  up to a northface expedition 25 which btw is a great high wind shelter', but again lacks the height and heating capabilities a tipi offers plus it not light!  Unfortunately with the SL3 off the market, I'm back on the prowl.  The kifaru 6 man is going to be a winter trap line tent, or winter hunt tent, or a tent I don't have to pack around for any real distance, I have a use for it.  The sawtooth has possibilities but not likely going to be a regular tent, even at 4.5lbs its too heavy for a solo tent.  2 guys its ok. For what it is I might as well go with the 4 man with a medium stove and liner or the 6 with the larger stove.  The stove is an added benefit, but that jacks the weight up more in the sawtooth, along with the liner.   W did a goat hunt in a hilleberg, wasn't overly impressed other than the gigantic vestibule was nice.  My 6+' partner didn't fit in the tent either.    Its too much room (in the vestibule and not enough in the tent) and it wasn't light at 8lbs I might as well have brought my northface, (ands saved him a cool grand LOL).    

The end question is what do YOU want out of it, or in this case the OP.  What's the bulk of its use going to be.  What's your budget?  What is considered light/packable?  how much packing is involved (on your back).  How many guys are going, is it solo, or a 4 person tent.  

The sad story of it is, I had the answer, until I saw the go lite is no longer made at this time!

here's a viable replacement for the shangrila 3
    http://www.backcountrygear.com/black-diamond-mega-light-blue-grey.html#.VLf2nU05DkA

Offline Tutanka

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2015, 12:31:00 PM »
That's ^^^^^^^ a good post, thanks for taking the time to write it.  

I hump my sawtooth with stove solo all the time (I use it strictly for winter backpacking).  I think a lot of guys forget how long you end up in your shelter in the winter months, with the short days.  To be able to stand and stretch out for me anyway is a must.  For this reason alone is why I don't run any of the Kifaru tarps, not enough room to stand up. Come summer I switch to the hillebergs.  For me anyway, I don't even think about the weights. I can cut weight far easier in other places than my shelter.  But, i would be an idiot not to agree with some of the stuff you just posted.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2015, 12:43:00 PM »
As well, I'd be foolish to turn an eye to that sawtooth with a stove for any camping!  If you don't mind the weight.  That is the underlying question!  What is acceptable to the user at hand.

Here's a crazy light tipi.  I really should be finalizing promotion paperwork.  The allure of a new tent has put that on hold for the moment haha!

check this beast out at 17.6 oz!
   http://www.backcountrygear.com/ultralight-tents/hyperlite-mountain-gear-ultamid-2-man-cuben-2-person.html#.VLf7UU05DkA  

Ps, I'm familiar with short days, try north of the article circle in the end of nov early dec after bou with 3 hours of daylight LOL!  Man that heater sure is a nice commodity!   Plus dry cloths!   Tried -50 one trip with 25mph winds thrown on, put windchills in the ridiculous category, I lasted 2 days and had to pack up.  Froze my rear end off in a wiggys bag but don't tell Marc that! LOL   I would have turned up my nose at the stove in my younger days, these days I'm getting soft!   :)

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2015, 01:48:00 PM »
According to the specs I found on the shangrila 3 it weighs over 5#. So unless your using it as a floorless tarp the weight is going to be up there, and you can't really stand up in it.

I do know the Sawtooth will stand up to some pretty high winds and downpours. If your going to go for a 4 man might as well get the Sawtooth. The Saw can fit four people in an emergency. I've been it with some really heavy wind swept rain and the ground inside never got wet, I can't explain why it didn't, it just didn't!

In my opiion, I noticed on the Kifaru forum that many of the Sawtooth tipis that were sold were to people going from a four man tipi to a Saw, I never owned a four man so I don't know why that would be.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2015, 03:15:00 PM »
"For a person who doesn't need heat and wants to maintain weight I still believe the shangrila 3 without the tub is by far the best tent going! WITH the tub you've jumped into the 4+ lb range From a little over 2lbs which means the sawtooth comes close enough to be considered."

as a floorless tipi, just like the kifaru's, its 25.7oz, 11.3 oz pole, and 3 oz steaks.  That's right at or very close to 2.5lbs given my math, typing and information is spot on perfect which I highly doubt the stars are perfectly aligned.  Regardless its very very close!  This very tent is widely used (or soon to be was) by a small group of minimalists that trek remote parts of this state, Canada and other countries.   I had the privelage to sit in on a pretty note worthy seminar.  Though a lot of it doesn't pertain to what we do, some of it does.  When guys like this talk, I intently listen!   I'm just a sponge, and as a disclaimer a hack after 25 years with a stick in my hands, 20 years in Alaska...I've abused a lot of gear, very few of which has survived, what has has my undivided attention!   I know there's many ways to skin this cat and I'm all ears for them.  Its a constant game as the markets trying to get rich and I continually try to lighten my load.   At some point as you'll find those few ounces here and there can equal more money than I care to throw at things!  I'm a planner when it comes to this stuff, though I've sluffed off as age has grabbed hold, I look forward to researching myself and learning from others.   Like I said more than 1 way to skin a cat!

Stuff and stake sack stays home for me unless weight is not an issue.  Mind you I usually run out of space before I bypass weight!  My first sheep trip into the wrangles in 96 at 73lbs as a young buck was an eye opener!   Thankfully I was carrying the food, my pack lost around 2-3lbs a day.  We weren't critical of weight back than.   Lessons learned!

With the tub and mesh (they are essentially combined into one piece), you tack on another 33oz's which would be correct will push you to the shangrila into the 5lb mark, which puts you in range of the sawtooth without the liner/screen and with a stove.

The sawtooth starts at 4.8lbs without liner or netting.  Tack on another 1lb 2.5 oz for the liner, 5.4lbs for the tent and stove without liner.  and 6.6+lbs for the total tent liner and stove.  I'm opting for a medium stove.   Not the smaller version though I'd bet smaller is better than none.   I know when its cold I've been warned to go to the large, the medium cant cut it, in reference to the 6 man tipi.  If I'm carrying a stove in the sawtooth it would be the medium.  

This is splitting hairs for most people, understand that!   If you're not into drilling holes or cutting your tooth brush, ripping tags off, and basically trimming any excess fat this debate is really moot.  For some guys an additional 2lbs is ok.  For those of us who have to hump everywhere, everytime, 2lbs is a great deal!

Another fun fact you can thank uncle sam for....

ever 1lb of boot weight is the equivalent of 10lbs of pack weight.  So the next time you're thinking about boots, think about your use, needs, and over all weight.  

In the grand scheme of this game, ounces equal pounds!

Another thing a guy has to think about when he packs a stove is now you need a viable way to cut wood and split it.  Split wood burns hotter.   You can saw wood with a Wyoming saw, but again that's not light.  There are lighter options that don't leave you with a way to split.  For kicks you throw in a SMALL hatchet, or the Wyoming saw and call it good...that 6.5lbs or so has now jumped and is pushing 8, maybe more.   I'm sure the stove is worth it, but these are things most people by pass initially when they look at total pack weight!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©