3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Backcountry Tipi buying help  (Read 2675 times)

Offline Aggieland

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Backcountry Tipi buying help
« Reply #80 on: January 20, 2015, 10:33:00 PM »
Wyoming, Tell us a little about your products. I was wondering how does the condura Tipi's compare to the lighter weight materials you and others use? Also wondering how much more they weigh and if a liner is still needed when you use the condura. Glad to see you posting.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #81 on: January 21, 2015, 01:26:00 AM »
I remember that day Kevin...I came out to find Mike posting of reports on John, I was geared and ready for a run to tok with my north face!  Mike and I were chatting on Fbook.   We were up north chasing sheep and caribou, and had managed to get out and back home slightly ahead of the nasty portion of that one thankfully.  100% luck!  

The fun part of living or playing in extremes is learning how to deal with the holy craps when they happen.  

John, you mentioned loosing space with the liner.  My buddy has the 6 and has yet to run the liner when I've been in it so I'm un familiar with the loss of room, how much do you figure?  The 6 with a stove and 2 guys is huge compared to what I'm used too.  I'm on the prowl for a smaller tipi for a one man rig with a small stove since I hunt solo 99% of the time.  It fits how I hunt well.   I may jump to a 6, or as another buddy keeps reminding me to go to the 8 with the liner for the winter trapline/hunting setup. Weight isn't an issue once winter hits as you're well aware.   I think I can get a smaller tipi in the 2lb range with a stove which puts it at my current sheep tent weight for later hunts without a liner for it and run without a stove in the earlier august hunts.

One thing that I haven't had to deal with is wet ground in a tipi.   I'd assume a small trench would alleviate any water coming in issues.  Any other tips?   My kifaru experiences are on either frozen or dry/light rain runs.  Nothing saturated like last fall.

Offline WLAF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #82 on: January 21, 2015, 02:48:00 AM »
Originally posted by Aggieland:
Wyoming, Tell us a little about your products. I was wondering how does the condura Tipi's compare to the lighter weight materials you and others use? Also wondering how much more they weigh and if a liner is still needed when you use the condura. Glad to see you posting.
i use 1000 or 500 d. cordura for most of my tipis. usually 500 since the weave is tighter and with the quality i have sourced, i believe it to be as strong as 1000 anyways. an 8 man in the lightweight stuff such as ultrasil or treated ripstop is 5-6 lbs.  the same tent in 500 cordura is 12-15 depending on the avail. options i have.
the cordura is absolutely waterproof and does not breath. vents and or liners help the condensation but with a stove burning, condensation dries out quickly.
mercy triumphs

Offline WLAF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #83 on: January 21, 2015, 02:57:00 AM »
i started using dyneema and cordura over 5 yrs. ago. since the early yrs. the demand has grown steadily for a more durable option other than sil.
the dyneema is literally twice as strong and still packable while the cordura is a fortress that can be used as a towrope and will out perform any of the other highstrength/ high durability fabrics out there. i dare anyone to find a survivable weather condition that can bring down a cordura, given that it is fastened to the ground correctly and has a strong center pole. it is amazingly strong
mercy triumphs

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #84 on: January 21, 2015, 07:08:00 AM »
WLF...welcome to TG! Appreciate your knowledge.

Offline WLAF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #85 on: January 21, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »
Thank you very much....
i am a diehard outdoors guy and this year is going to be a very good one!
lots of new things to be seen and used
mercy triumphs

Offline Aggieland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #86 on: January 21, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
Sounds like the Dyneema might be the ticket.. Do you ever build any Tipi's larger than 8 man?

Offline John Havard

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #87 on: January 21, 2015, 09:46:00 AM »
Dan, regarding liners - I'd say you lose about 6-8" interior space when you put the liner into a tipi.  Not a very big deal in a 16-man but in a smaller tipi it would severely limit how far away from the center pole you can stand up.

Wet ground is the killer when it comes to condensation.  Pitching the tipi on a well-drained mountain in arid weather greatly reduces the need for a liner.  If you camp on a gravel bar or plain where the water table is not far under the tipi then you have to have a liner.  When the sun hits the tipi it becomes a giant solar still which cooks the moisture out of the soil and captures it inside the tipi.  Liners aren't optional then.

For winter trapline work I'd agree that an 8-man with liner would be the ticket.  The liner also keeps the tipi a bit warmer inside when running the wood stove.

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #88 on: January 21, 2015, 10:26:00 AM »
Thanks John.  The larger kifi is on the radar, right now I need to replace my backpacking rig.  Last fall was a bit rough on it, that and its just to heavy for a one man tent without heat imho.

I'll have to see if I cant pitch my buddies with the liner and get a better idea, again I'm alone on winter forays more often than not.  

Last fall there was just no way around wet ground...we went from wet to frozen on my hunt anyways.

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #89 on: January 21, 2015, 11:24:00 AM »
Through all I have done to explore and try to find out the differences between the tipis offered including the makers, fabrics, etc. I have come away with some interesting prospective….and direction.

One thing I wanted to understand is what specifically justified the price differences out there.  I set out willing to pay more for something that is truly better…I was not willing to pay extra for a “brand” unless I could justify it to myself.   At present the two main players in the tipi world are Kifaru and Seek Outside with others working their way up that ladder.  So I wanted to know specifically what makes a Kifaru Base 8 man tipi worth $325 more than an Seek Outside that has many “bells & whistles” I have concluded are wanted by the “majority” of tipi users …whether they now have them on their tipi or not.  I have gotten far more input from Kifaru users…as this thread clearly shows.   The one thing I get from the diehard Kifaru tipi users, and believe me there are a lot of them, is they trust their Kifaru and it is worth paying the extra for what I will call “piece of mind”.  I can understand that and support it but it’s not enough for me to buy Kifaru. As best I can tell both Kifaru and SO are well liked and respected by their users and both perform under adverse conditions…sever adverse conditions.  I find people on both sides of the isle that have had failures and switched from one side to the other.  What I have not found is any one material measurable difference I feel makes Kifaru superior to SO or justifies that $325 more.   I have read Kifaru garners a better resale price.  Granted I do not frequent all the sites/forums where these things get discussed and/or sold, but of the ones I do, this is what I have seen.  There are far more Kifaru tipis that go on the resale market than SO, which one could argue is simply because there are far more Kifaru users out there…I do not know that for sure.  I have seen very few SO tipis listed for sale; but those that do, as best I can tell, get a good return on the resale market.  

The more I dug into fabrics the more I felt there has to be something better out there than Silnylon, which are your only options through Seek Outside and Kifaru. Seek outside I believe used to offer something different and maybe they can still offer it if asked....they do not have it as an option listed anymore that I see.  For those of you who have read the description P Smith writes about the fabric Kifaru uses you will know he states what their fabric is not is Silnylon...well despite that statement, a Kifaru person I spoke with told me, when I was trying to get out of him the difference between SO and Kifaru Fabric, is what Kifaru uses is basically Silnylon with a different coating. I even pointed out what P Smith states on the website.   So, for me, I summarize in my mind the only real difference between Kifaru & SO fabric is a Coating.   What I have come away feeling is both makers are well respected  and provide excellent  products but  what Kifaru has going for it over SO is an army of loyal and trusted users who gain “peace of mind” by buying Kifaru and paying that the extra cost associated.  I cannot find fault in that!

Back to fabric and my quest to find something better than Silnylon.  What got me really focused on “other” fabric options is when I was referred to Wyoming Lost and Found.  Brain over there offers a wide range of fabrics including Silnylon, Cordura and Dyneema…and maybe others.  As I understand it, 500 Cordura is his #1 seller, but for my purposes it is too heavy.  Dyneema Grid fabric caught my eye and interest.  I communicated with Brain about all his options and we went into detail on the Dyneema Grid.  Its weight and cost is a little more than Silnylon but its tipi qualities seemed better to me in that it eliminates one of the key complaints I heard about Silnylon…that it stretches/sags when wet .  Dyneema brings strength to a tipi.   So I starting digging into Dyneema on all sorts of websites, forums and talking to small business that make thing like backpacks and tents with different fabric types.  There are pros and cons to all fabrics. Sometimes Price is the biggest con!  After all this I decided I would have a 200 level Dyneema Grid tent made through Wyoming Lost and Found….with everything I wanted as extras.  Those that have Brian’s tipis have nothing but praise for him, his craftsmanship and tipis.  The only issue I could find with WL&F was the owner hit the bottle too much sometime in the past.  For me he has been nothing short of professional, knowledgeable, helpful and willing to build me the tipi I wanted in the fabric I wanted…and his prices are very good….check them out for yourself.

Through all my conversations and communications with these small businesses out that that make outdoor products, I came on to one fabric that is even better than Dyneema  but no one in the tipi world I was familiar with offered it as an option…it is Cuban.  It has even better qualities then Dyneema and as best I can tell weights less than Silnylon... in the area of 5 lbs for a base 8 man tipi.  The big downside to Cuban…cost…It is expensive.  I discussed Cuban with Brian at WL&F only to find out he too is really interested in it as a tipi fabric….and was already  looking at offering it as an option.  So I scratched the Dyneema Grid tipi and am having Brain quote out an 8 man tipi made out of Cuban.  I know the cost will be significantly more than a Silnylon and Dyneema but if I can eliminate all the shortcoming of Silnylon with a stronger lighter tipi….and I can swing the added cost…why not?  
I will keep you posted as I travel this tipi road. .
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline WLAF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #90 on: January 21, 2015, 05:20:00 PM »
dyneema has been my top fabric for a while and it is excellent for tents... i can't believe no one else has done it actually,  but i do prefer the 500 d. cordura for my personal projects because it is very very strong and darn it, just does not cost as much as dyneema.

when weight is an issue though, the 140 d. dyneema will surprise even the most skeptical gear head. it is light and much less stretchy than sil but also twice as tough. ripping it is a chore.

200 d. dyneema is slightly heavier and more substantial a fabric and bulks up the folded down size a bit but is a tad more puncture resistant.
mercy triumphs

Offline Kevin Hansen

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #91 on: January 21, 2015, 08:38:00 PM »
This thread gets better every time I read it! Thanks to all who have provided input, and thanks to Steve for the detailed synopsis of your tipi search. I have learned lots. I hope the conversation continues...

Offline Aggieland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #92 on: January 21, 2015, 09:30:00 PM »
Steve, I talked to Seek Outside about a Cuban fiber Tipi but the thickness or grade the Cuban manufacture recommended was to heavy for any kind of weight upgrade and very expensive.

Offline WLAF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #93 on: January 21, 2015, 10:01:00 PM »
i have several cuben sources which i will not be disclosing, that i can choose between nearly 30 different weights and weaves. colors are numerous and i am even working on camo...

i have played with the stuff and with the tapes and seams (stitching) involved with making a highly durable and lightweight product.
mercy triumphs

Offline Aggieland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #94 on: January 21, 2015, 10:12:00 PM »
If the Cuben works then it's probably going to be a game changer in the Tent/Tipi world. A super strong and light weight Big tipi it what I have been wanting to order. Guess it really depends on the price increase of the Cuber fiber.

Offline WLAF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #95 on: January 21, 2015, 10:26:00 PM »
take the price of a top end tipi from other manufacturers and double it for one from me made of cuben. it is tricky to work with, requires a sterile environment and the fabric alone is extremely expensive. not to mention that they are not a stock item and will be made to order. and each one will be available as a full on custom tent... tie outs where you want, zippers in any location. special vents, floors, netting, custom stove jacks that i will make specifically for the cuben tents.... stronger and lighter..... plus i have a few other ideas brewing for the basic improvement of all tipis in my production.

as it is, i am the only one putting my zippers in with the teeth to the inside of the tent to prevent ice and frost/snow jamming. i do other things different, (my way) as well..
mercy triumphs

Offline Aggieland

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #96 on: January 21, 2015, 10:31:00 PM »
With the testing you have done thus far What do you think of the Cuben fiber?

Offline WLAF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #97 on: January 21, 2015, 10:37:00 PM »
it is the best fabric i have come into contact with strength and weight wise. it is just such an extremely expensive material that people are scared of it.

i absolutely love it for tents.
mercy triumphs

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2015, 07:25:00 AM »
Just placed an order for a Sawtooth w/liner. After running down and comparing specs one last time (and considering the long-term performance my 8-man tipi has shown) I came away knowing the Saw will be perfect as a backcountry shelter for one man, a stove, firewood pile and all necessary gear for extended hunts. After seeing and owning a number of ultralight stoves, I'll be going with the TiGoat WiFi unit. I've never seen a titanium stove which is so light, rigid and easy to assemble. Plus, it offers an excellent flat surface area for cooking.

A tip to use at your own risk: I drilled 3 vertically-spaced holes at 60 degree angles to each other through the upper section of my aluminum center pole. I then measured and cut 3 arrow shaft sections which insert horizontally through the drilled holes after the tipi is all set. I use those 3 sections of shaft to clip or hang wet items on. Having them near the peak...where heat is concentrated...and adjacent to the flue pipe, really gets the job done. Warning: KNOW that this can be hazardous if done carelessly. Use small diameter shafting (or rod) and make the holes just big enough for easy insertion. Space the holes vertically at least 4" (6" is better) to avoid weakening the pole. BE SURE all items are secured on the shafts so they cannot contact the flue pipe or drop onto a hot stove.

Offline WLAF

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2015, 07:37:00 AM »
i just introduced a new 8 sided flat tarp that does some pretty impressive things. it will be in production very soon for retail in an unnamed store but there are also 3 new protos that i have yet to cut fabric on due to time....

the folding stoves are rather nifty as well since they set up out of the bag in literally seconds and have 0 loose pieces. everything is one piece so as not to lose anything.

i am a small time company with big time ideas. the only thing holding me back unfortunately is lack of capital. but i have shown that a small, out of pocket company with the right ideas can get the attention of the bigger and better funded outfits. my ideas and products will be taking this gear fixation to the next level or 2 given due time. so watch out big boys... there is a new kid in town.
mercy triumphs

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©