3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need a blind recommendation for shooting a 66" longbow  (Read 758 times)

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Need a blind recommendation for shooting a 66" longbow
« on: January 11, 2015, 10:45:00 AM »
I need a recommendation for a blind that I can shoot a 66" longbow out of. I saw the large Hidden Hunter, but are their others that would fit the bill.

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Re: Need a blind recommendation for shooting a 66" longbow
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2015, 11:00:00 AM »
I checked out everyone on the market and came to the conclusion that it was the only good one that fit the bill. If I had a safe place, (as in not get stolen), to use one, I would have one. If my land deal goes through, I will. If not, I will be using military grade camo netting on our public land areas if a good spot develops. The bush in a bag from Big Jim works super in the right settings.  I wish that there was also a grass/brush version of the Bush In A Bag for lighter colored grass/bush situations. I know that there are Ghillie suits that will cover that option.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »
I think a brush blind and/or ghillie may give the best solution. In it, bow length and theft are not issues. I shoot a 68" longbow and have never found a tent blind that was handy to use. Also, I have always felt enclosed with limited vision in the few commercial blinds I tried out.
Sam

Offline Stone Knife

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2015, 12:11:00 PM »
I shoot one in my Dbl. Bull matrix 360, killed this buck out of it with a 66" Hill

Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game,
but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

John 14:6

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2015, 05:58:00 PM »
Barronett extra tall Big Mike model might work.  (barronettblinds.com)

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2015, 06:55:00 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline Hummer3T

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 07:07:00 PM »
The new bone collector man cave is a monster blind.
Life is about learning from your mistakes!

Chek-mate hunter I 62" riser with 60" limbs 49&42lbs@28

Samick Sage 62" 50lbs@28

Big Jim Mountain Monarch Recurve  60 inch / 50 lbs @ 28

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
The Hidden Hunter blinds were highlighted on the TV show Discovering. You can fast forward to the segment on the blinds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inPupwI5Wfs&feature=youtu.be

http://www.shrewbows.com/hiddenhunterblinds/index.html
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Online mjh

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2015, 08:41:00 PM »
Apache Pyramid Blind  Two sided triangular blind for some coverage.  I have one.  Have used it, have not killed anything while using it.  Have used it in conjunction with a gillie suit and on its own.  Not affiliate with the owner/maker.  I would buy another one.

Apache Pyramid Manufactured by JDI, Inc. 3746 Morgan Rd. Orion, MI 48359 248-391-2131 Est.: 1985 Contact: Tom Sampey The Apache Pyramid rolls up neatly for carrying and provides a quick shield for hunting.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 10:53:00 PM »
It only costs about $150 or so to build one like this yourself out of a cattle panel, plastic grass carpet, and PVC!

Door made from cattle panel and angle iron:

Roof frame made out of PVC:

The roof frame is covered with black painters plastic, then with the carpet. That makes the roof where water does not leak in. Here is a pic of the roof from the inside:

View from inside blind:

The roof on this blind in the pics is new, but the carpet on the side of the blind is 6yrs old and has been in the woods the whole time! I have seen no commercial popup blind that will last near as long in the woods!

This is a great option if you are wanting a more permanent type blind. If you need to be able to put it up/take it down/move it easily, one of the larger popup blinds would be your best option.

Bisch

Offline savage1

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 12:20:00 AM »
The Stackhouse. Light weight, tall, quick set up.
I have had more expensive blinds not to name names.. This the one for me. On sale under $75.
I have had mine for years. No tears. No hassle.
Next time I find one on sale I'll put it up for my grandson.

Lou
Beetle kill, Usa.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 02:42:00 AM »
Gil,
Not to argue with anyone's opinion, because there are situations where every one of these blinds will work with whatever bow you shoot.  I had an extra tall DB, and now have a Baronett grounder 350 and a Baronett Big Mike.  For me, the bigger footprint is more important than the height(up to a point). Any of them seem pretty good trying them in a showroom.  I don't have to stand up to shoot, but the windows do need to extend low enough that I can shoot sitting or kneeling.  I found that my shooting form barely lends itself to the Big Mike footprint.  I extend my bow arm with arrow nocked and then draw the string.  I can do that in a Big Mike but I have to first move my chair out of the way and then move back to the back wall-unless I was there already.  I've not had to do this with another person in the blind, but that would make it more difficult.  So, depending on your shooting style imagine doing that and also canting your 68" bow enough to clear the top.....a lot to think about when there's a critter in your window!  I've never seen a Hidden Hunter-it's profile would seem to lend itself to a longbow shooter, but-in an excited moment, I even put the tip of a 62" recurve through the top of my Grounder 350!  My guess would be that a 66-68" bow would preclude using a pop up blind with confidence.  I'd think a brush blind custom built on the spot would be better.
Tom

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 08:03:00 AM »
Thanks again for all the ideas on the blind. I also extend my arm with the arrow knocked before I draw so that is something I should think about. I can build a permanent blind DIY, which I wasn't thinking about at first, but since I can leave it up on my farm. That could be an alternative.

Tom it has been a while. I was hunting that Bear '59 I got from you last night. I am going back to my Hill style longbow, but I still really like that '59er.

Thanks again for all the ideas.
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 11:40:00 AM »
Bisch, you need to come up here for a visit and help me build some like that!

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 03:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by Gil Verwey:
[QB] . I also extend my arm with the arrow knocked before I draw so that is something I should think about.

Same problem here. I bought a Primos Club XXL last spring. It had plenty of height for my 64" recurve, but it wasn't WIDE enough.  With my arm extended, my broadhead would hit the mesh on the window.  I had to remove the mesh.

So, it's back to my Yukon Tracks blind (which became Baronett blinds).
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline WESTBROOK

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 07:47:00 PM »
Thats a nice setup Bisch!

I'll have to that a try    :thumbsup:

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2015, 11:34:00 AM »
Did anyone try the Ameristep Bone Collector blind with a longbow?
TGMM Family of the bow.

Online pdk25

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2015, 03:31:00 PM »
Tried one out in a cabelas, and it was not tall enough for me, but I don't can't my bow much.  Barronett 350 is plenty big enough and pretty sturdy, but a terrible design for window placement and opening.  Still use one, though, cuz the price is right.

Offline Sky-Dogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2015, 06:23:00 PM »
I have three Primos Club XXLs.  I fold up some of the triangular screen corners to give me arrow "shooting ports."  So, width isn't a problem.  Never been spotted by a turkey, deer, or boar using this technique and I don't have to worry about the potential accuracy issues with launching arrows through screening.  Brian

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2015, 06:49:00 PM »
That Barronett 350 looks good, great price ($155) and big. 90" X 90" x 80". I think this is the winner for me.

I like the Hidden Hunter but it is pricey ($379.99). What I don't like about it is they charge a good price for it and then charge extra for the window screens ($24.95).

Thanks everyone
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©