3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Need a blind recommendation for shooting a 66" longbow  (Read 759 times)

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: Need a blind recommendation for shooting a 66" longbow
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
 I like the Hidden Hunter but it is pricey ($379.99). What I don't like about it is they charge a good price for it and then charge extra for the window screens ($24.95).  
Gil,    :saywhat:
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Sky-Dogg

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2015, 08:21:00 PM »
I have three Primos Club XXLs.  I fold up some of the triangular screen corners to give me arrow "shooting ports."  So, width isn't a problem.  Never been spotted by a turkey, deer, or boar using this technique and I don't have to worry about the potential accuracy issues with launching arrows through screening.  Brian

Offline Bernie B.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2015, 08:33:00 PM »
Gil - the Barronett 350 is a nice blind that gives you tons of room in it, but note that it has high windows.  I use a bar stool in mine which eliminates the problem.  I still like my Barronett Big Mike better because of the lower windows.  It's not as big a blind as the 350, but both blinds are 80" high - no problem for my style.

Bernie

Offline Crittergetter

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2015, 09:06:00 PM »
I bought the ameristep bone collector back when i shot my wheel bow. Worked great for that but in order to shoot my 64" r/d I have to kneel on the ground and cant a little more than normal. I wasn't comfortable or confident shooting that way so I only sat that bling once this year with my daughter and she had her rifle.
An elitist mentality creates discord, even among the elite!
"I went jackalope hunting but all I saw was does!"
Luck is when preparedness meets opportunity, I just need more opportunities!

Offline Jim Rocole

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2015, 02:28:00 PM »
I have owned the older Double Bull, the Grounder 350, grounder 250 and just this past year a Hidden Hunter. While the cost of the HH is twice that of the Grounder as far as quality, ease of setup and take down and its ability to blend in and hold up to snow, the HH is by far the best i've owned. The 350 & 250 I've hunted out of for a couple of years. they are huge but I don't like the window hgt., they fade pretty quickly if left out, cannot handle any snow load at all and if you are moving chasing turkeys they are a pain to breakdown and haul. The older Dbl Bull was nice but since a bear decided I should no longer use mine I have not gone back to them.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2015, 04:03:00 PM »
I'd like to see some photos of the Hidden Hunter showing the window configuration. Window height is a major factor in a blind for turkey hunting.

Also, what kind of fabric is used?  Does it shine? Also very big when it comes to turkeys.

I've looked at their website, but it doesn't have any of this information.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline Ron LaClair

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2015, 05:02:00 PM »
I posted this earlier, apparently you didn't see it. This video will answer those questions.

"The Hidden Hunter blinds were highlighted on the TV show Discovering. You can fast forward to the segment on the blinds."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inPupwI5Wfs&feature=youtu.be
We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past
When you were born, you cried and the world rejoiced. Live your life so that when you die, the world cries and you rejoice.
Life is like a wet sponge, you gotta squeeze it until you get every drop it has to offer

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2015, 05:55:00 PM »
Thanks Ron!  I like the vertical windows.
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Online stagetek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2015, 10:51:00 AM »
Just my opinion, but be careful of the Barronnete 350. Big yes, but the windows are really high. If you're going to shoot standing, fine. But close shot's sitting may be a problem. I've heard better things about the corner windows of the Big Mike, but have never used one. I do own a 350, and will probably sell it.

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2015, 11:29:00 AM »
Here you go Paul. I need to turn mine where I can get all three vertical windows open,but it put the opening in a weird place. I will go mess with it in the off season. I've killed two critters out of it all ready and really like it.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2015, 01:28:00 PM »
Rick in that picture is the window completely open?
TGMM Family of the bow.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
No it's not Gil. I was getting busted quite a bit. They never busted me all the way,but they could see me quite a bit better. I plan on turning it and opening all three and see how it goes,but I think that would let even more light in and a even better chance of being seen. I will just have to experiment some. It is a great blind though.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2015, 01:45:00 PM »
I looked the the video again and saw the windows are much bigger. On the video it doesn't show the shoot through screens. Have you tried them? Is yours the larger one? I am shooting a 66" Hill style longbow. Do you think there would be a problem with it in that blind.

Thanks
Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2015, 01:50:00 PM »
Mine came with the screen,but I'm scared to shoot through it. I just can't see how that wouldn't affect arrow flight.

As far as the length of your bow goes,you might be able to get by. I'm not sure what size I have,but I'm shooting a 64" longbow,and I have to have my chair in one precise spot. If I have it too far back my elbow hits the back when drawing,if I get it too far forward I've stuck a hole through the thing with the broadhead and I have to start the draw and swing the bow up and out the window. I think there is a bigger size than the one I got though.

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2015, 04:36:00 PM »
Thanks Rick.

I can't see how shooting through a screen would be good. We work so hard to tune our arrows and try to get maximum penetration, then intentionally shoot through something a few feet ahead of the bow.

Gil
TGMM Family of the bow.

« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2015, 04:56:00 PM »
Shooting thru the screen is awesome! I can't tell you how many critters I have shot thru the netting, even using a string tracker! As a matter of fact, I'm sitting in a I d right now, and every window has netting!

Bisch

Offline Gil Verwey

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2015, 05:15:00 PM »
Jerome with Trad gear you don't experience any problems? The idea always gave me chills.
TGMM Family of the bow.

Offline oldbohntr

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2015, 08:30:00 PM »
Yeah, Gil, I feel the same way, and must admit that I've not taken a shot a game through the netting....but in my back yard-I see no problem with arrow flight.  Going on a TX hog hunt in a couple of weeks, and am going to test it!  

I'm so glad you are using that old '59.  I loved that bow.  It was sort of a-what did they call them in the old west-a soiled dove? But it shot so darned well and I kept it forever hoping that somehow I'd find the fountain of youth and be able to shoot it well again!  Couldn't be happier that you are using it!!
Tom

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©