3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: don't that beat all, i saw a MOOSE today!!!  (Read 509 times)

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
don't that beat all, i saw a MOOSE today!!!
« on: October 02, 2007, 08:31:00 PM »
recently there have been a couple moose sightings in the area around my house. well i was driving the brown truck today about 2 miles from my house i see a lot of cars pulled over and a few cop cars. i could see a few people taking pictures and then i saw the moose!!! he was just a young fella and i believe he had been released somewhere near though D.E.C will deny any claims of the sort! anyways his antlers had been cut for his protection from hunters, thats what the people in town were saying. i could see small nubs and figured it was the youg bull that was spotted recently as he had been traveling with a cow and calf. i turned to the trooper next to me and asked him " is that the cow or the bull?" he turned to me with a disgusted look on his face and said"that is now cow, its a moose!!. i just shook my head! good going Sherlock ya really cracked that case!   :smileystooges:    :readit:  it was really awesome to see even if he was of the transplanted sort, which D.E.C will deny!   :knothead:
I go by many names but Daddy is my favorite!
listen to everyone,FOLLOW NO ONE!!
if your lucky enough to spend time in the mountains...then your lucky enough!
What ever befalls the Earth befalls the sons of the Earth.

Offline warden415

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
Re: don't that beat all, i saw a MOOSE today!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 08:47:00 PM »
Let me ask you this....what possible gain could the DEC get from transplanting a moose and lying about it? Why would they not just say" yeah we stocked some and we want to see how they do in this area" (or whatever ?)  I would think most hunters would LOVE to have moose to hunt in their area. So if DEC would put some there, it would make them out to be heroes in my mind. Just seems like everyone thinks there is some great conspiricy theory going on with all the natural resource agencies.  I work in WV and we have  been blamed for everything from stocking coyotes recently to stocking rattlesnakes to control turkey!  Don't laugh, if you knew how many times I have heard that and how many people believe it you would crap!
I just don't understand how some people think or worse yet ...let other people think for them.

Offline mcgroundstalker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2007, 08:48:00 PM »
Just So Cool To See!!!  :)

... mike ...
"Be faithful in small things because it is in them that your strength lies"

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2007, 08:57:00 PM »
2 years ago a local idiot shot a big bull, took the antlers and left the carcass, sence then it has been very tight lipped as to the where and how they get here. its hard to believe that just in the last couple years moose have wandered in. i also do not understand why DEC just says yes they are here and we are trying to establish them in this area. as you said i'm sure most would love to help in any way possible.

Offline vermonster13

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2007, 08:59:00 PM »
They're all over the place over here Ken. Only a matter of time before they move into your area in force. When I was a kid we never saw them, now it's rare not to in quite a few places. Now if I could just draw the darn tag!
TGMM Family of the Bow
For hunting to have a future, we must invest ourselves in future hunters.

Offline Wapiti Chaser

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2007, 09:02:00 PM »
Cool !!! I hope to see one some day.
" Take a kid bowhunting"
New York Bowhunters BOD
PBS Member

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2007, 09:10:00 PM »
Ken aren't you in Johnstown or Fultonville? Where did you see this moose? My mother lives in Johnstown and my grandmother lived her whole life in Gloversville- Mayfield area. I don't believe they ever saw a moose out that way.
Brian
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline adkmountainken

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2007, 09:18:00 PM »
i live between Fonda & johnstown.  Fonda phone #, Johnstown address. i live 1 mile from Fonda high school. the moose was behind the county building on Park street in Fond, right by the Mohawk river which he had been swimming in that morning. there had been a bull and cow in Gloversville the last 2 days, it had been all over the news. i would love to see a big bull. i have no clue as to what kind of food and habitat a moose needs to survive but would love to see the in the Adirondacks.

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2007, 10:27:00 PM »
Seems odd.With all of the wilderness in the area you would think that they would stay there.
"So long as the moon returns to the heavens in a bent, beautiful arc, so long will the fascination with archery in man lasts."

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2007, 07:14:00 AM »
Now thats sweet < would love to see one here :0)
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Offline Ken999

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2007, 07:29:00 AM »
Supposedly that was the Moose that they removed from Waterford a couple of weeks back. They cut the horns off to protect the Moose during transport. Why I have no idea, but that's their story.

Congrats on the sighting though! They are pretty cool animals. DEC thinks we have around 500 of them nowadays.

Here's a couple of links for the bull that was running around over in Queesnbury a while back.

http://www.poststar.com/articles/2007/09/27/news/local/12960419.txt

http://www.poststar.com/articles/2007/10/03/news/local/12975687.txt

Offline mrgreenhead

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2007, 08:01:00 AM »
One got killed by a car a few miles from my house this weekend , i didnt catch all the info on it tho . Now i just wish the dec and cornell would admit we have mountain lions in ny , I have seen one and i heard there is a guy in camden that has some pic from his trail camera , and pic dont lie!!!!

Offline horatio1226

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2007, 08:13:00 AM »
If you see em, we gottum!
Brian

Offline BFinegan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2007, 09:00:00 AM »
I lived in NY for several years and traveled all over the state as well as New England. I was in the timber business so my "milk route" was off the beaten path. Going back to the mid 90's I would hear comments about Moose sightings in upstate NY. It doesn't surprise me to hear about it more often and with credibile verification. The habitat is there and your neighbors allready have them. It was only a matter of time.
"Ships in Harbor are safe, but that is not what Ships were made for"

Offline chucker

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2007, 09:09:00 AM »
Ken, we see them several times a year in Swanton Town on the Vermont side of the big water. In Richford and Troy,Vermont you could see one every day if you looked a lettle. I think you will be seeing more in the future. They go where and when they want to.
simple is good!

Offline Izzy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2007, 09:11:00 AM »
Ken, that was all in the Times Union yesterday.He came from Taborton Mountain area on the NY- Mass border where he was allegedly born by a resident cow from an  an established population.I saw one there early one am when I was a deputy in that county.Anyway the bull you saw was located by DEC in Troy, NY of all places and swam west across the mighty Hudson to Waterford where he was darted and relocated to another established population near Sacandaga Res..They say they cut his antlers for ID purposes and he was last seen in Johnstown.Cross your fingers and well be hunting them before too long.At least our kids will.

Offline woodchucker

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2007, 10:12:00 AM »
Thanks for the info Izzy!!!!! It's always nice to have knowledgable people with good solid information!!!!!

Thanks Again!!!!!!!!!!   :archer:
I only shoot WOOD arrows... My kid makes them, fast as I can break them!

There is a fine line between Hunting, & Sitting there looking Stupid...

May The Great Spirit Guide Your Arrows..... Happy Hunting!!!

Offline Ken999

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2007, 10:18:00 AM »
'tis romoured that the Fonda bull has been relocated to MRP's...hopefully he will stay there away from traffic...

FWIW, I saw a cow and a calf(not the barnyard variety either...lol...) 3 years ago while hunting in southern Hamilton county. It was an awesome feeling seeing my first ADK Moose...

Offline Ken999

• Trad Bowhunter

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©