3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bird alerting deer?  (Read 679 times)

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
Bird alerting deer?
« on: January 11, 2015, 11:39:00 PM »
I was set up on the ground tonight, hoping some does would come down a heavily used trail to an alfalfa field.  There are several trailed streaming off the hill to the field, I just chose the one where we've seen them coming out onto the field recently.   Anyway, I'm sitting there and it's prime time and this little bird... Like a sparrow of some kind (I'm not much of a bird identifier), flutters I to the small tree just a few feet above me and it nervously looks down at me and it starts skwaking... or cawing or screeching ... I don't know what word to use.  But I swear it sounded like an alarm to all other wildlife that danger was present!  And apparently the deer were listening because they took trails both in from of me and behind me... None came down my trail.   It's the first time I've ever noticed a bird's vocalization and connected it to my presence and really wondered if the dang thing blew my cover.  Your thoughts?
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline KSdan

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bird alerting deer?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 12:03:00 AM »
An article in Montana Outdoors mag this past year about a research project they conducted on such a theory.  They found an entire connection of bird vocalizations that traveled for miles after a predator (i.e. human) intervention.  The one thing they could not fully determine was the impact on all other animals.  It was clear though that birds gave warnings that could be tracked as it spread to other birds through the surrounding areas.
If we're not supposed to eat animals ... how come they're made out of meat? ~anon

Bears can attack people- although fewer people have been killed by bears than in all WWI and WWII combined.

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 04:23:00 AM »
I have learned to immitate some local bird "all clear" calls just to keep things cool while I'm sitting. I don't know if it makes any difference. I know one thing, I sure don't want to piss of any Blue Jays.
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »
Absolutely ! It's happened to me more than once while actually watching the deer react, nothing you can do but smile. It seems to happen more when I'm wearing a 3D of some type rather than just being in regular camo or just neutral wool colored clothes.
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline dbd870

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 07:52:00 AM »
I have issues with larger birds myself. Had a tom turkey bust me while watching a good 8 working his way to me. Unfortunately it wasn't turkey season!
SWA Spyder

Offline Tsalt

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 08:23:00 AM »
Originally posted by Jerry Jeffer:
I know one thing, I sure don't want to piss of any Blue Jays.
Jerry, I just googled Blue Jay and I'm pretty sure that's what my bird was!
Tim Salters

"But his bow remained steady, his strong arms stayed limber, because of the hand of the Mighty One."  Genesis 49:24

Offline Slimpikins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 08:31:00 AM »
BLUE JAYS. They will start alarming at pretty much anything. They will alert you of coyotes, bobcats, hawks but I stand up and grab my bow when they make a certain noise because its usually a deer. They really get rowdy at buck deer. Im not sure why. Squirrels also get to barking (the light bark / squeal call) when deer are acting abnormally. I have found several deer that I have shot based on where I heard squirrels barking when they ran off.

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »
Oh yeah. . . catbirds are bad for it too, and may have been what you had there.  Critters have their own "danger" cry and it translates to many (critter) languages.
CHuckC

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 08:58:00 AM »
Originally posted by Slimpikins:
BLUE JAYS. They will start alarming at pretty much anything. They will alert you of coyotes, bobcats, hawks but I stand up and grab my bow when they make a certain noise because its usually a deer. They really get rowdy at buck deer. Im not sure why. Squirrels also get to barking (the light bark / squeal call) when deer are acting abnormally. I have found several deer that I have shot based on where I heard squirrels barking when they ran off.
If the jays see you there screeching to let every animal in the forest know  you are there.  Like slimpkins said pay attention to them if it's not you its something else deer,wolf coyote, they are,the knarks of the forest and once you get one going if there others around they all join in (very annoying.)  Squirrels too have you ever been in your stand and the first time and the local squirrel spots you in one of his trees  it'll climb up close enough to check you out then sit and chide at you for like 20 mins.
Also when the squirrels a very active deer tend to be too. More than once I've been sitting in an orchestra of squirrel activity and have had deer come in and caught me off guard because I thought they were squirrels.

Offline Sam McMichael

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
Blue Jays, woodpeckers, and some sort of little tweet birds I can't identify are a royal pain where I hunt. And don't forget the squirrels! They will raise a fuss at the slightest movement. I have seen deer bolt when these alarm cries go up.

However, these alarms do sometimes work in the hunter's favor, as Slimpikins stated. I have heard alarms in the distance and then had deer approach from that direction. Part of woodsmanship is learning to recognize and use these clues to our benefit.
Sam

Offline SELFBOW19953

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
Back in the late 40's early 50's, my grandfather swears that a blue jay cost him a really nice buck in the Ithaca, NY area.  To his dying day in 1969, he hated blue jays and kept a pellet rifle handy to "remove" them when he saw them.

If you learn to listen to and identify other animals calls, they will let you know when something is amiss-deer, fox, hawk, owl, person, etc.

A number of years ago, a guy kept a pack of beagles in a kennel on the property next to where I hunt.  When his dogs got to carrying on, it usually meant that there were deer moving in my direction.  Usually, when the dogs are restrained, deer move freely around them (they feel safe).  The dogs will bark and carry on when they see or smell the deer.  I have watched deer at my house graze/browse less than 100 feet from my dogs when I let them out in my fenced yard.  The deer keep an eye on the dogs but they don't run off.
SELFBOW19953
USAF Retired (1971-1991)
"Somehow, I feel that arrows made of wood are more in keeping with the spirit of old-time archery and require more of the archer himself than a more modern arrow."  Howard Hill from "Hunting The Hard Way"

Offline Mr. fingers

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2015, 09:19:00 AM »
And beagles are an alarm nobody could ignore   :D

Offline Slimpikins

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 09:24:00 AM »
Y'all have me wishing it was October in the hardwoods. I love Blue Jays!

Offline GreyGoose

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2015, 09:48:00 AM »
I have definitely seen whitetails go on high alert in response to crows reacting to my presence.
Jim

Offline JamesV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2015, 09:59:00 AM »
My grandfather would always say: "You never see a bluejay on Wednesday". I have spent years trying to disprove his theory.

James
Proud supporter of Catch a Dream Foundation
-----------------------------------
When you are having a bad day always remember: Everyone suffers at their own level.

Online MnFn

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
My now deceased uncle claimed in one of his favorite bow hunting spots you could just about follow the deer as they made their way across a lowland area towards an alfalfa field, by listening to the blue jays.

I have not experienced it, but think fondly about Uncle Gene whenever I am hunting and hear some jays.
"By the looks of his footprint he must be a big fella"  Marge Gunderson (Fargo)

"Ain't no rock going to take my place". Luke 19:40

Offline centaur

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2015, 10:08:00 AM »
Pine squirrels are famous for raising a racket when they see a human. I believe that they have a simbiotic relationship with other animals (elk, deer) that tell the hooved critters that there is a predator nearby.
If you don't like cops, next time you need help, call Al Sharpton

Offline Bldtrailer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2015, 10:21:00 AM »
I hate BLUE JAYS!!!!!
As we get older our bow weight goes down and our body weight goes up, One of Lifes little jokes.
Bringing Archery to
 Wounded Warriors

Offline D. Key

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2015, 10:23:00 AM »
I've been busted many times by some little "Finch" type bird before and they will squawk for an hour or so.  Real annoying and honestly, I don't recall ever seeing a deer after they squawk.
"Pick-A-Spot"

Doug Key

Offline ron w

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2015, 10:31:00 AM »
Blue Jays, crows, and Red squirrels....They are the natural alarms around this part of the world. Been busted more than once buy these culprits.
In the beginner's mind there are many possibilities. In the expert's there are few...So the most difficult thing is always to keep your beginner's mind...This is also the real secret of the arts: always be a beginner.  Shunryu Suzuki

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©