3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Single bevel broadheads  (Read 649 times)

Offline MikeEvans

• Trad Bowhunter
Single bevel broadheads
« on: January 13, 2015, 07:15:00 PM »
Would love to hear from anyone that has experience with the single bevel broadheads. Really dislike double bevel 2 blade heads, have stuck with the snuffers or double bevel bear heads with bleeder blades just makes me nervous gutting something with slivers of bleeder blades floating inside the cavity.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
Re: Single bevel broadheads
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
A four blade Zwickey delta has bleeder blades that won't break or come off.  I've killed a few animals with single bevel broad heads.  They work just fine.  Two blades usually don't leave as much of a blood trail as three- or four-blade heads, but any will do the job if put in the right place.  I often have single and double bevel heads in my quiver at the same time.

Offline drewsbow

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 07:21:00 PM »
Abowyer makes some great heads
Try to be the person your dog thinks you are :0)
TGMM Family of the Bow
N.Y. Bowhunters member
BigJim 3 pc buffalo 48@28
BigJim thunderchild 55@31
BigJim thunderchild 55@32 Jim's bow

Online timbermoose

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 07:34:00 PM »
I vote is for grizzly broadheads. Tough and dependable. And now has a 3 blade.
Backwoods Archery 66" 54@30
coaster500 yew elb 67" 55@29 -trade bow 2013
Heartlandbows 60" 60@29 -trade bow 2014

Offline T Sunstone

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 07:40:00 PM »
I shot 2 pigs last year in Texas with an Aboyer and they left the best blood trails of any pigs I have shot.  The hole is like an S or L shape.

Offline Kopper1013

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 08:10:00 PM »
I've shot single bevel heads for the past 2 years and love them. Been shooting Alaska bowhunter Samari heads but asked for tuffheads for Xmas so will be trying them out come November.
I personly found they shoot better than most three blades I've shot and as much as I don't like to admit this I stuck a 2" sapling last year and that single bevel head split that sapling about a foot in either direction, pretty impressive.
Also they seem to sharpen easier that double bevel heads but I'm also somewhat sharpening handicapped:-)
Primitive archery gives yourself the maximum challenge while giving the animal the maximum chance to escape- G. Fred Asbell

Online glenbo

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
I was given a 300 grain Tuffhead from Guru to try out last year. They flew great.  Ended up buying the meatheads with a steel adapter.  I have used Zwickey no mercy with success as well.. They work well with my lighter weight bows (49-52)#.  I am sure it has been beaten to death, but shot placement is paramount.

Offline DVSHUNTER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 08:31:00 PM »
I love em. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. However if what you get works... you know the drill.
"There is a natural mystic flowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Bob Marley

Offline Roadkill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 08:35:00 PM »
I made some small game heads out of keys.  After getting the things close to the weight I wanted, I mounted them.  On wooden shafts.  Then ground a single bevel on them   Shot them into a foam target.  Could not believe the penetration!  Also the S cut was impressive.  Realize these are not sharpened  keen, just ground.  Made me a believer
Cast a long shadow-you may provide shade to someone who needs it.  Semper Fi

Offline CHENRYIV

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 09:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by timbermoose:
I vote is for grizzly broadheads. Tough and dependable. And now has a 3 blade.
X2
The archer sees the mark upon the path of the infinite, and he bends with his might that his >>--> may go swift and far.

Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia
Compton Traditional Bowhunters
Professional Bowhunters Society

Offline atatarpm

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 10:38:00 PM »
Roadkill i would love to see some pics.
Atatarpm   "Traditional Archery is a mastery of one's self ; not of things."
71# Qarbon Nano
67# T2 Blacktail
85lbs Bama
100lbs Bama
60lbs Big D's Long Bow

Online Carpdaddy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 10:54:00 PM »
Another vote for Abowyer and grizzly's. Not shot animal with grizzly yet but looks like great head. Abowyers have done well for me on deer.
Stumpshooting; Slinging sticks with sticks toward the origin of the sticks.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 08:29:00 AM »
Mike, email me your address and I'll send you a Grizzly. Then you can make up your own mind.

I have shot quit a few critters with all types of heads (except expandables) and have come to the conclusion that the single bevel two blade heads are the best for me for penetration.

www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Kevin Dill

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 08:43:00 AM »
I happen to love single bevel heads and have been using them for years. I don't think any one company's are clearly superior to another, but there certainly are differences. Maybe the best thing about them...aside from the edge...is that many are built thick, strong and heavy. Perfect for penetration; they really get the job done.

Offline Zradix

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 09:10:00 AM »
single or double bevel heads...both work great.

I'd use whatever you can get sharpest.

Personally I've found VPA 3 blades the easiest to sharpen.

I've only used abowyer, grizzly, and zwickey single bev.

All three were fine...but the zwickey single bevel just isn't thick enough to be a very good single bevel IMO.
...the other zwickeys are GREAT though..or just get the double bev version of the one they make in single bev.
If some animals are good at hunting and others are suitable for hunting, then the Gods must clearly smile on hunting.~Aristotle

..there's more fun in hunting with the handicap of the bow than there is in hunting with the sureness of the gun.~ F.Bear

Offline Onehair

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
I have taken dozens of deer with the Grizzly head. Say what you will I get a much better blood trail from that head than any double bevel. I wouldn't dare offer an explanation other than the entry and exit are wide open and not the standard slit I experienced with Zwickies and the like.

Offline bowtough

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 02:00:00 PM »
Never shot a Grizzly head, but with Bill Dunn involved I am sure they are top shelf. I have killed critters with the Abowyer heads and have found them to be excellent. Great warranty, although have not needed a claim yet and have shot them through a lot of rib cages. Touch up the heads and they are ready to go again. These heads come from mfg.  deadly sharp and hold the edge forever! Blood trails are excellent as well, although have not had any critters go out of sight yet. Good steel and fly like darts. A lil pricey for some but with lifetime warranty and that kind of quality it is the head for me!   :thumbsup:

Offline Birdbow

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 04:20:00 PM »
I've shot SBs for a few years and love them for penetration esp. The moose in my avatar was killed with a Zwickey No Mercy out of a 54# LB and got complete penetration. He was down in about 15 seconds.
Unadulterated truth is not pablum.

A simplification of means and an elevation of ends is the goal. Antoine de St.-Exupery

Offline Steve Chappell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 05:01:00 PM »
I have used no mercy with great success on whitetail & Turkey but went to Grizzly Kodak 190s to pick up serious gr weight for Elk and Moose hunting. I now use only the 109s for simplicity reasons.  I support Kevin's take on single bevels.
AKA - Huntfun
Professional Bowhunters Society-Regular Member
Compton Life member
Michigan Longbow Association
Michigan Traditional Bowhunters
Backcountry Hunters & Anglers

Offline RC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2015, 08:40:00 PM »
I like the Grizz myself. I have killed a few critters with them the last couple of years. I can get them sharper than any head I`ve used. I shoot bows under 48 lbs.

look at the "s" cut in the off leg..

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©