3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Bamboo Flooring?  (Read 274 times)

Offline The Gopher

• Trad Bowhunter
Bamboo Flooring?
« on: October 02, 2007, 09:16:00 PM »
I was at Home Depot today and noticed a pile of solid bamboo flooring on sale. It was about 5/8" thick and three inches wide and i suppose 3 feet long. This got the wheels going and i was wondering if it would work to back a bow. i would have to plane it down and the bow would have to be 6 feet long max, but could this be a potential bow backing material? thanks, Dan.
"The future is, of all things, the thing least like eternity. It is the most temporal part of time, for the past is frozen and no longer flows, and the present is all lit up with eternal rays." ~C.S. Lewis

Offline Dan Bonner

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Bamboo Flooring?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2007, 11:55:00 PM »
What you were looking at was what bowyers refer to as Actionboo or bamboo actionwood. It is what practically all bamboo core laminations in glass or carbon bows are cut from. Comes in natural (whitish) and carmelized (brownish). I use it in every laminated bow I make. Some of the fibers are cut when they square it up so It may try to raise splinters after repeated shots. I think it will work though if you sand it smoothe on the outside first.

Offline soopernate

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 10:06:00 AM »
If you buy it let me know what you want for a just a couple boards.  I will also pay shipping to Montana.  I want to try it but can't bring myself to buy a whole case.
I humbly follow in the learned footsteps of those who precede me.

Offline Jeremy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2007, 11:19:00 AM »
If it was the VERTICAL laminated stuff not the horizontal, it's like Dan says.  I've used it for the belly of raw bamboo backed bows.  It's weaker in compression than red oak, so plan your design appropriately.  
I remember seeing someone make a kid's bow out of it without a backing and it working for that.  I'm not sure I'd trust it unbacked with a hunting weight bow though.  Give it a shot!  Or back it with rawhide, hickory, raw boo, I suppose even sinew if you want to put in the effort.
>>>-TGMM Family Of The Bow-->
CT CE/FS Chief Instructor
"Death is not the greatest loss in life.  The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live." - Norman Cousins

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©