3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Feather rest cold weather  (Read 453 times)

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
Feather rest cold weather
« on: January 14, 2015, 08:41:00 AM »
My feather rest (which I love) seem to be loosening
as my heater in the cellar where my bows are stored comes on then turns off. I believe the temperature change causes this. -10 degrees here this morning.  Was wondering what types of glue or two sided tapes people use to keep them really well attached.  Must be easy to remove.

Thanks

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Feather rest cold weather
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 09:12:00 AM »
It always confounds me why people want to be able to easily remove whatever they use for an arrow rest...I like to put on an arrow rest that will last for so long I would never even consider the need to remove it...this featherrest is still doing fine after 55 years...btw I use carpenters white glue to attach arrow rest, strike plate and deer hide grip wraps

DDave

I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
Thanks Dave, never thought of carpenters white glue.  I definitely don't want the rest to come off, But if I had
to take it off I would prefer not to damage the finish.

Offline TOEJAMMER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 10:20:00 AM »
Never had any problems with Barge contact cement with either of your concerns.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 02:12:00 PM »
Thanks Robert appreciate the insight.

Offline ranger 3

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 05:38:00 PM »
Second barge cement
Black widow PLX 48@28
Black widow PSRX 48@28

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 05:44:00 PM »
I use what TRAP puts on them. Never had one come loose.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »
Thanks everyone, I think mine loosened up because the blower from the heater was hitting directly- cool to warm expand contract I tried barge cement but I got it all over myself.  Looking for some good two sided tape.

Offline njloco

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 08:11:00 PM »
Well, the idea is to put the barge cement on the bottom of the feather rest, it's not going to hold anything if you put all over yourself.    :knothead:
  • Leon Stewart 3pc. 64" R/D 51# @ 27"
  • Gordy Morey 2pc. 68" R/D 55# @ 28"
  • Hoyt Pro Medalist, 70" 42# @ 28" (1963)
  • Bear Tamerlane 66" 30# @ 28" (1966)- for my better half
  • Bear Kodiak 60" 47# @ 28"(1965)

Offline Babbling Bob

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 10:19:00 PM »
Barge cement works for me.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 11:42:00 PM »
I use a double sided tape on the rests because most folks don't want to fool around with glue. It seems we live in a "peel and stick" kind of world today.  Bear Archery glued the original feather rests to arrow shelves back in the day. Many of them, like Dave's rest above, are still going strong 50+ years later.

When I mount feather rests on my personal bows I glue them on with contact cement.  Contact cement is pretty easy to clean up when it comes time for replacement.

DD
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline maxwell

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 08:44:00 AM »
Thanks again for all suggestions- the original feather rest was sticking very well except on the edge
facing the belly of bow. I put pressure on it and it settle in fine. It got me thinking about upstate NY fall/ winter and what might happen so I was just looking for other options.  I  would just like to say these feather rest from trap are the coolest things I have ever used on the shelf of my bows.  If you haven't tried them and wonder how they might work for your set up I suggest you give them a try.

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 01:00:00 PM »
On average, how long do feather rests last?

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 03:06:00 PM »
"If you don't like change, you're going to like irrelevance even less" Gen. Eric Shinsheki

"If you laugh, and you think, and you cry, that's a full day, that's a heck of a day." Jim Valvano.

Offline TRAP

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 03:12:00 PM »
Originally posted by TRAP:

Originally posted by doeboy:
On average, how long do feather rests last?
Many folks get 1000s of shots out of them.  WildTurkey feathers are pretty darn durable.  A lot of factors go into how long a rest will last.  Number of shots, bow's tune (properly tuned bows are easier on any rest material), weight of arrow, how often the rest gets wet, type of arrow fletch( you're not likely going to damage a 1/4" tall wild turkey feather by running a 3/8" tall "softer" domestic turkey feather over it. Likewise plastic vanes may tear a feather rest up faster) etc.

One of the most common questions is "how well do they hold up in rain"  My answer is, "as well or better than feather arrow fletching" They will flatten out when soaked but once they dry they are good to go again.  

Everyday it seems someone is discovering a 50 year old bow that's been in storage for 40+ years with original the feather rest still in tact and shootable.  Damascus Dave has been trying to wear out those originals for several years now.  He'll order some replacements from me some day...maybe. [/b]

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 03:32:00 PM »
Originally posted by maxwell:
Thanks everyone, I think mine loosened up because the blower from the heater was hitting directly- cool to warm expand contract I tried barge cement but I got it all over myself.  Looking for some good two sided tape.
I would highly recommend finding a better place to store your bows than you are describing...That's a bowyers nightmare you got going there...  besides the dad burn feather rest, you are not doing your bows any good at all.... Wood a moves a lot with dramatic changes in humidity and heat.

Storing your bows in the same room as a furnace or heater is going to significantly determine the longevity of your bows.The hell with the rest coming loose. that's no biggie.. I've seen guys hang them from the ceiling in a basement where their furnace runs all winter, and can't figure out why their bows are coming apart.... It's common sense guys...

Offline doeboy

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
Thanks for the info Trap!

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 03:57:00 PM »
I was told about a Bear delaminating in the back of a custom van.  The fellow thought it would be good to warm his bow up some because it was well below freezing so he put it loaded in front of the back seat heater on the drive out hunting. I saw another time when a bow was leaned against a hot car fender.  No bow can withstand that much direct heat.  Without my corn burner running, my basement is the coldest room in the house and there is no vent from the furnace in my bow room.

Offline reddogge

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 05:03:00 PM »
No need for that. Fred Bear hunted polar bear in -45 degree weather and left his bow outside of the tent each night.
Traditional Bowhunters of Maryland
Heart of Maryland Bowhunters
NRA
Mayberry Archers

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©