3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Calling all Chronograph owners..  (Read 762 times)

Re: Calling all Chronograph owners..
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 04:18:00 PM »
With Schulz and Hill style longbows while the bow is designed to have quite a low brace, I wonder if the difference between a B50 string to a modern would show differences as well, being that the B50 string would have more carry through than a no stretch string. I would bet that this difference could show up on recurves as well but with less variance.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 05:16:00 PM »
Modern, low-stretch strings, are faster because they don't stretch as much during the draw or when the arrow is released as does dacron.  They don't follow the arrow as far past brace either, but at that point, there's little energy left in the string anyway.

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 06:00:00 PM »
oops - double post
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline Burnsie

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 06:02:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:

Originally posted by LBR:
Without precise equipment (Hooter Shooter, calibrated chrony, precise set-up, etc.), it's not going to mean much.  

Even then, there's going to be a ton of variables...bow type, bow length, string material, strand count, draw length, etc. etc. etc.

Short answer is, in general, 1/2" isn't going to make much difference.

Swap that over to finger shooters, there will be more variance in releases than 1/2" of brace height will make.

This is a test that could take days, and still not wind up with any definitive answers, depending on how specific you want to get.

Chad
As much as i hate agreeing with Chad on much of anything... He nailed this one perfectly.... To many variables.

The only thing i could add is every limb design is going to have a different sweet spot for the brace height. and that is going to be where the string tension is at the highest preload at brace....You can increase or decrease the brace height past that point and the the preload actually reduces... that's why they call it the sweet spot... [/b]
If a person has a Hooter Shooter and a calibrated chrono, your only variable would be the difference in brace height, assuming you are shooting the same bow with the same string and arrow to make the comparison. Then just shoot a bunch of shots at each brace height to get a good average. No need to make more out of it than what it is.  But I agree, a 1/2" won't make much of a difference.
"You can't get into a bar fight if you don't go to the bar" (Grandma was pretty wise)

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 08:52:00 PM »
I got a new to me acs longbow see manlaw new to me acs. I deceided to check what affects changes in brace height has on speed. First let me say I have posted that I believe it does not have a affect on speed so I thought I would back up my words with results. I have a very consistent form, draw and release I usually only very one fps high or low so the results schould be accurate. I have worked with this bow some and I am using a brace height of 7" so I will start lower then this and move up 10 twist at a time untill I go over one inch past starting point and then go back to my 7" were I will keep this bow. I used three different arrow weights let me know what you think and any thoughts about the results.
6 13/16 brace height 387gr 182fps 452gr 177fps 517gr 166fps 7 1/16 brace height

387gr 182fps 452gr 175fps 517gr 165fps

7 5/16 brace height

387gr 182fps 452gr 174fps 517gr 165fps

7 5/8 brace height

7 15/16 brace height

387gr 180fps 452gr 174fps 517gr 163fps

I then went back to my 7" brace height.

387gr 185fps 452gr 178fps 517gr 167fps

I then deceided while I have the crony setup I would check the difference with a hold at full draw and release and the way I shoot a pull threw release. I used one arrow for this it was the 452gr arrow.

Hold and release 174fps

Pull threw release 178fps

So what do you think about the results!

I think I found the correct height for this bow and I will keep it a 7"!

As I thought untill you get a good bit over it does not have any real affect on speed. Widow

Offline widow sax

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 08:54:00 PM »
Back in 2011 I did this hope it helps.    Widow

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2015, 11:16:00 AM »
If a person has a Hooter Shooter and a calibrated chrono, your only variable would be the difference in brace height,...
My point is that the readings you get will only be good for that specific set-up, shot with a Hooter Shooter.  It can change from bow to bow, even with a different bow of the same make.  If you test one bow, you will have an idea of the variance in that exact bow--nothing more.

Throw in the variance of shooting with fingers, it's all out the window.  It's not like a sucky release is consistent--if it were, then you wouldn't have a sucky release.

Find the optimal brace height for the bow via tuning and you'll get the best from that bow.  A couple of fps rarely if ever makes any difference other than in advertising.  In my opinion/experience of course.

Chad

« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2015, 11:37:00 AM »
So then, as Kirk suggested, all bows have a sweet spot, possibly where the pounds of force is greater, would be a good brace height.  Seems to me we do not need a shooting machine or a chrono, but a scale, an inline string mounted scale perhaps, so we can find that optimum preload point.

Offline LBR

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2015, 11:50:00 AM »
I go by feel.  I've always been able to find a spot where I get the least noise and vibration (I always tune with a bare string).

It's not complicated or technical, just takes a little time.

Offline nineworlds9

• Trad Bowhunter
  • Northman
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
I go by feel.  I've always been able to find a spot where I get the least noise and vibration (I always tune with a bare string).

It's not complicated or technical, just takes a little time.
^-------THIS

I follow the bowyer's recommended brace height to a point, then I experiment and find the brace height that gives me the most pleasing draw feel and yields the most forgiving shooting results for ME.  These are biomechanical instruments we're messing with here and each shooter must tailor the bow to themselves.
52" Texas Recurve
58" Two Tracks Ogemaw
60" Toelke Chinook
62" Tall Tines Stickflinger
64" Big Jim Mountain Monarch
64" Poison Dart LB
66" Wes Wallace Royal

Horse Creek TAC, GA
TBOF

Online BowDiddle

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2015, 12:58:00 PM »
Originally posted by Kirkll:

Without precise equipment (Hooter Shooter, calibrated chrony, precise set-up, etc.), it's not going to mean much.  

Even then, there's going to be a ton of variables...bow type, bow length, string material, strand count, draw length, etc. etc. etc.

Short answer is, in general, 1/2" isn't going to make much difference.

Swap that over to finger shooters, there will be more variance in releases than 1/2" of brace height will make.

This is a test that could take days, and still not wind up with any definitive answers, depending on how specific you want to get.

Chad
As much as i hate agreeing with Chad on much of anything... He nailed this one perfectly.... To many variables.

The only thing i could add is every limb design is going to have a different sweet spot for the brace height. and that is going to be where the string tension is at the highest preload at brace....You can increase or decrease the brace height past that point and the the preload actually reduces... that's why they call it the sweet spot... [/b]
Completely agree.

I used to be one of those who thought an increased power stoke by decreasing brace height would increase speed.

A friend of mine showed me the error in that thinking, and showed me how to find that brace height sweet spot. Prior to that I never realized how much I was leaving on the table where performance and stability were concerned. I've never owned a chronograph (or a hooter shooter), but he had one, and the results shocked me to put it mildly.

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »
Actually I go with the recommended brace and nock setting and then find the arrow that works.  The variable is for me always the point weight, since I always shoot the same length arrows no matter what. The pattern has been a choice of 145 Grizzlies or 160 Hills or Grizzlies.  I notice that the Grizzlies have changed weights, so my world is in total turmoil right now, I cannot sleep normally, my hair is falling out, my wife won't run and I think my pickup is cheating on me.

Offline **DONOTDELETE**

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2015, 03:12:00 PM »

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2015, 06:05:00 PM »
Pete Ward has probably chronographed as many arrows as anyone and I think he would just laugh at trying what you are suggesting...a lot of what amounts to work to learn something that is of no value...on the other hand I bet if you offer to trade him something nice for the information he is your man

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »
Originally posted by Orion:
It's not rocket science, and you don't need chromo to figure it out.  If you raise or lower your brace height by 1/2 inch, you are in effect, decreasing or increasing your draw length about a half inch.  A half-inch in draw length translates into 1-1 1/2# of draw weight on a mid weight bow.  That, in turn, translates into 1-3 fps.  Not enough to worry about.
Orion,

not to "stir the pot", but raising and lowering your brace height would not shorten or lengthen your draw at all.  It would shorten and lengthen the "power stroke".
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

"There is a way which seems right to a man,
But its end is the way of death."  Proverbs 14:12

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2015, 09:20:00 AM »
Originally posted by widow sax:
I got a new to me acs longbow see manlaw new to me acs. I deceided to check what affects changes in brace height has on speed. First let me say I have posted that I believe it does not have a affect on speed so I thought I would back up my words with results. I have a very consistent form, draw and release I usually only very one fps high or low so the results schould be accurate. I have worked with this bow some and I am using a brace height of 7" so I will start lower then this and move up 10 twist at a time untill I go over one inch past starting point and then go back to my 7" were I will keep this bow. I used three different arrow weights let me know what you think and any thoughts about the results.
6 13/16 brace height 387gr 182fps 452gr 177fps 517gr 166fps 7 1/16 brace height

387gr 182fps 452gr 175fps 517gr 165fps

7 5/16 brace height

7 5/8 brace height

7 15/16 brace height

387gr 180fps 452gr 174fps 517gr 163fps

I then went back to my 7" brace height.

387gr 185fps 452gr 178fps 517gr 167fps

I then deceided while I have the crony setup I would check the difference with a hold at full draw and release and the way I shoot a pull threw release. I used one arrow for this it was the 452gr arrow.

Hold and release 174fps

Pull threw release 178fps

So what do you think about the results!

I think I found the correct height for this bow and I will keep it a 7"!

As I thought untill you get a good bit over it does not have any real affect on speed. Widow
Widow,

thank you for taking the time to do that.  that is all I was wanting to know.  This post was not for a book so the validity was not necessary, I just wanted to see some numbers.  

thanks again.
"Blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD And whose trust is the LORD. Jeremiah 17:7

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2015, 09:28:00 AM »
First of all we have to establish what Good performance or "High performance" really is..

I would say tuning the bow first to find the sweet spot is going to yield the best all "around performance" of that particular bow. It's hard to generalize because each bow is different. But over all "High performance" is a combination of the least amount of noise and vibration which in turn will provide the highest amount of energy transferred to the arrow . this can be measured on the chrono...  If you are talking about how much difference in speed, or how much difference in noise or vibration?  these numbers and amounts are going to differ a lot between different limb designs.

Here is a good example:

If we look at a long bow limb design with a very low preload at brace, and a lot of limb mass moving forward. The "preload" or the tension on the string at brace is what stops the forward motion of the limbs. At that point the transfer of energy stored in the limbs goes to the arrow shaft.... When you don't have enough preload to stop the limbs clean, a much higher percentage of your stored energy stays in the limbs and goes back into the riser in the form of vibration. This stored energy is lost completely.... and for sake of comparison lets say we end up with 168 fps at 10 gpp measured in the chrono......

With a bow like this i'd bet the brace height could be moved as much as an inch without a measurable difference in speed.

Ok.... Now lets take a recurve bow design, or a hybrid long bow  with a much higher preload at brace..... These limbs are designed with a much shorter working portion with much less actual limb travel. The higher preload stops the limbs dead and transfers a much higher percentage of the stored energy in the limbs to the shaft. It also has much less vibration felt in the riser because the limbs are not flopping around. For sake of comparison, lets say this bow shoots 190 fps at 10 gpp through the chrono.  The tension on the string at brace or preload is going to change a lot more with a 1" difference in brace height than the long bow with lower preload.... so that 1/2" difference is going to be measurable by as much as 4-5 fps... and the noise level if tuning with a bare string is going to be much more noticeable too.....

Are we splitting hair here?   Sure we are...

How much difference does it really make? Well each archer out there has a different idea of getting the most out of there set up. They are all different, and nobody is wrong... But higher performance bows will be more sensitive to brace height adjustments, and they all got there own sweet spots.....

You guys don't need a chrono to find that sweet spot. tune your bow with a bare string using lighter weight shafts for noise, then switch to heavier shafts once you've got the sweet spot in the brace established. If you start getting the brace too high, the bow will still be quiet, but you will notice a drop in trajectory the farther you twist the string.

btw.... there is another way you could measure the optimum brace height on a bow using an in-line cable tensiometer on the string. But they are expensive little buggers... [/QB][/QUOTE]

thanks for that explanation Kirk.

Offline Orion

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • Contributing Member
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2015, 02:03:00 PM »
Daniel B.  You're right.  Because the effect is the same, I use the two terms interchangeably. That's why I qualified the statement with "in effect".

By lowering the brace height, one increases the power stroke.  In effect, the arrow is subjected to 1/2-inch more draw even though the archer doesn't pull the bow any further.  Likewise, raising the brace height shortens the power stroke.  The arrow is subjected to 1/2-inch less draw, even though the archer doesn't draw the bow any less.

Regardless, as I said in my first post.  The effect is so small as to be unnoticeable to most folks.

Offline DanielB89

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2015, 09:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Orion:
Daniel B.  You're right.  Because the effect is the same, I use the two terms interchangeably. That's why I qualified the statement with "in effect".

By lowering the brace height, one increases the power stroke.  In effect, the arrow is subjected to 1/2-inch more draw even though the archer doesn't pull the bow any further.  Likewise, raising the brace height shortens the power stroke.  The arrow is subjected to 1/2-inch less draw, even though the archer doesn't draw the bow any less.

Regardless, as I said in my first post.  The effect is so small as to be unnoticeable to most folks.
I can see that.  Didn't mean to get technical, jsust needed a little more clarification..

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2015, 01:43:00 PM »
The best Chrono test that I have ever seen devised made a lot of sense to me, but it was not a successful test. A fellow learned the equations to calculate how much stored energy his arrows had at impact.  He wanted to know what tuning versus which arrow would give him the best results at his maximum hunting range, because he had this notion that the heavier arrow would retain more energy.  He bought a chrono and tested
a variety of set ups, wrote down all of his averages. Then he backed up  to his maximum hunting range and practiced all week until he was spot on with his first test set up.  He set up his chrono carefully measured everything, waited for the wind to die down and shot.  He hit the base of his chrono on the very first shot dead on and killed it.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©