3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Ok I'm about to start!  (Read 587 times)

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
Ok I'm about to start!
« on: January 14, 2015, 11:03:00 AM »
Arrows came in with the string. I'm getting ready to go to the archery shop and see what I can come up with. Update later today!
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline daveycrockett

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Ok I'm about to start!
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 11:33:00 AM »
:thumbsup:    :campfire:

Offline katman

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 01:09:00 PM »
Have fun    :archer2:
shoot straight shoot often

Offline kybownut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 01:12:00 PM »
Have fun! Johnny
60" predator hunter 46# @28"
maddog bamboo backed hickory elb 53# @28"
traditional bowhunting is more than a choice of equipment!

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 03:12:00 PM »
Ok I'm back. So far I left the arrows at full length. I shot them with a 100 gr head. I shot about 100 shots. About 40 at first. Then set the brace at 8 1/4. Moved the nock point up just a bit. Shot about 50 or so more shots from 10 to 20 yds. At 20 yds the tech said the arrow was flying darn near perfect. No Noticeable fishtailing or porposing. I was suprise at how well I shot for my first time. So was he. He said usually it's a train wreck when guys come in to shoot for the first several times. At 10 yds I was doing very well. 15 was not bad but could be better. 20 yds was tough but I did manage to hit dead center of the ring once and the kill zone on the deer target about 5  times. Overall it was fun and I had to make myself stop! My total arrow weight is 420 gr. I know that is too light. So now I need to figure out what to do. Or is there a need to do something?
If you profess with your mouth Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved Romans 10:9

Offline sheepdogreno

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2015, 04:15:00 PM »
Sounds like you had fun! Great news!
I'd rather be judged by 12 then carried by 6

Tradtech Titan 2 is my go to platform

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2015, 05:09:00 PM »
Your arrows are 420 Grains. Remind me of the weight of your bow. Perhaps nothing but practice needs to be done???
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline joe ashton

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
(Perfect)  practice makes perfect.. and lots of it, over time.
Have fun.
Joe   :archer2:
Joe Ashton,D.C.
 pronghorn long bow  54#
 black widow long bow 55#
 21 century long bow 55#
 big horn recurve  58#

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2015, 05:36:00 PM »
It's a 50# bow at 28" but I'm pulling it to 27" if I went to say 150gr head what would that do? Make my spine weaker?

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 07:22:00 PM »
Yes, a heavier point will weaken spine. But, cutting the shaft will stiffen it and compensate for the added weight up front. If it were me, I'd pick a broad head/point weight.....say 175gr-225gr (not only will you have a large assortment of BH's to choose from, it will also add weight to your finished arrow). Then cut your shaft down until you're getting good flight.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 07:37:00 PM »
Are 175s hard to find? BH and field point?

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 07:43:00 PM »
Nope thats a standard point weight.
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline ChuckC

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2015, 07:48:00 PM »
Standard for Trad.  Likely won't find them at Gander Mt or Cabela's, but yup, they are standard.

ChuckC

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 07:52:00 PM »
You could also use a 100gr insert with a 100gr or 125gr point/BH. Either way, don't worry about adding that kind of weight to the end of the arrow. You'll find it to be beneficial in the long run.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 07:54:00 PM »
So do you guys recommend me getting some 175s and start shooting and cut as need? I wouldn't think that I would have to cut much. The. again I don't know how long the arrow is right now.

Offline PaulDeadringer29

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 08:14:00 PM »
If you're getting good flight, don't worry too much about arrow tuning right now. You have good arrow weight at the weight you're drawing. Right now, you should just be shooting and having fun.

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 08:17:00 PM »
As long as it's not stressing the limbs with that light of an arrow I'm good with shooting it this way.

Offline chase perry

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 09:12:00 AM »
I'm glad you got to go shoot!  Sounds like you're having a blast.  At your 27" draw you're probably shooting about 47#.  This has your arrow weighing about 8.9 grains per pound, which is just fine for what your doing.  All you need to do right now is shoot, and have fun!  My Dad's hunting arrow is about the same gpp as you're shooting, and works fine on our Texas whitetail.  My arrows are about 10.5 gpp.  As far as your bow is concerned, I would never shoot an arrow lighter than 8 gpp.  I've read a fair amount on the matter, and any lighter than that could be stressful on the bow.  When you start thinking about a hunting arrow using 10 grains per pound is widely accepted.  In the meantime, enjoy shooting!
Proverbs 28:1 "...the godly are as bold as lions."
Isaiah 40:31

BARK, n. The song of the dog. -Ambrose Bierce

Offline VA Elite

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 09:26:00 AM »
Thanks chase. It looks like I'm at 8.9 gr per pound like it is. It looks a little funny with the arrow being that long but I guess it makes no difference to a deer!

Offline kybownut

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 10:05:00 AM »
Glad you finally got to shoot a few arrows, as chase said just have fun. If I never got to hunt again I would still shoot a trad bow, just something about watching a arrow fly. Most ( not all )compound hunters hang their bows up after season and forget about till next season. Most trad hunters seem to shoot theirs every chance they get! Johnny
60" predator hunter 46# @28"
maddog bamboo backed hickory elb 53# @28"
traditional bowhunting is more than a choice of equipment!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©