3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Back Quivers - Can't stop!  (Read 757 times)

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
Back Quivers - Can't stop!
« on: January 14, 2015, 11:28:00 PM »
I'm on a roll with making back quivers thanks to Bud B.'s tutorial, Soap Creek's thread on his quiver making addiction, and additional encouragement from Dorado. Thanks, guys!

I've made two different configurations:

The one on the left was my first project, and I based it on the quiver I bought from HHA a year ago and is 22" deep, and the one on the right was done using Bud B.'s "recipe", and is 21" deep.

The HHA version is quite a bit larger in all the dimensions:

I'm thinking that the larger bottom of the HHA quiver allows the arrow points to move further to the back edge of the bottom when the quiver is broken in and forms to your back, allowing the nocks to tip forward, putting them closer to your shoulder for easier removal.

I am use to having my arrows off to the side a bit more like Howard Hll and John Schulz, so my clone is more appealing to me at this time. I haven't tried the new one yet, so I may change my mind on the subject.

I don't have any reason to make any more right now, but Christmas is only 11 months away......
Chuck

Offline Hud

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
  • 360-921-5779
Re: Back Quivers - Can't stop!
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 12:00:00 AM »
Nice, they look great. You can cut a piece of foam, styrofoam or small green fir tips, for the bottom, to keep the broadheads from moving around.
TGMM Family of the Bow

Offline Bud B.

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 12:13:00 AM »
Man! That one on the left is huge! Definitely more room in that one  :)

Nice job on both    :thumbsup:
TGMM Family of the Bow >>>>---------->

"You can learn more about deer hunting with a bow and arrow in a week, than a gun hunter might learn all his life." ----- Fred Bear

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 12:36:00 AM »
Thanks, guys.

That's what I thought about John Schulz's quiver in Hitting 'em Like Howard Hill. All by itself, it doesn't look so big.
Chuck

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 06:59:00 AM »
Great work Charles!  Keep at it as between you and Bud y'all are giving me the bug too, but I think I'll watch you experiment for awhile as your observations about the size/shape/benefits of the larger bottom are interesting.  I did notice you fixed your vertical seam overlap on the new one so debris/water could pass over.      :thumbsup:

I think pictures of one's attachments of the strap are important as well.  It's an individual thing as to how the quiver hangs, and everyone's ideas bring different potential benefits of use.
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline Cyclic-Rivers

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 07:21:00 AM »
They look great..
Relax,

You'll live longer!

Charlie Janssen

PBS Associate Member
Wisconsin Traditional Archers

>~TGMM~> <~Family~Of~The~Bow~<

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 08:50:00 AM »
Awesome stuff Chuck!  Hope you left me some leather LOL!

I remember reading years back on Johns site his specs for the proper fit of a back quiver (length).   I'll have to crank up the old model T computer and see if I saved that info.   I may still have it.

Offline Green

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 09:00:00 AM »
That's some very worthwhile research Dan.  Look forward to it!
ASL's, Selfbows, and Wood Arra's
Just because you are passionate about something, doesn't mean you don't suck at it.

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 10:41:00 AM »
Akdan: They had a lot of the heavier leather 6-7-8 oz., but only a limited amount of the lighter stuff. All of the lighter shoulders were too small. I didn't look at any sides.

I too am interested in your research.

Green: An alternative reason for the larger bottom on the HHA quiver was to make room for refreshments. Just kidding! Maybe I'll do some testing on the arrow angle theory....
Chuck

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 10:53:00 AM »
Those big quivers work good for those with long broad backs, that is not me.  The smaller one is more my size.  Either way is all about the strap for me.  I only have one quiver that I did not change the strap holes.  I used to build kid quivers with cheap leather, never anything as nice as these.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 11:01:00 AM »
As a knifemaker who makes his own sheaths, I'm finding the leather work as satisfying as the metal work (and a lot cleaner).

Just the process of making quivers is more than half the fun.

pavan, I'd be interested in seeing the strap attachment on your quivers - what you changed it from and what you changed it to.
60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 11:02:00 AM »
Here's a quick pic of the two quivers with an arrow with the point all the way to the back:

Does make a bit of a difference.

This blog lists another reason for the larger bottom:  http://traditionalknowhow.blogspot.com/2014/03/hunting-with-back-quiver.html

Hope this is o.k., but I took this pic of John Schulz from Hitting 'em Like Howard Hill to show the size and position of his quiver:

I just noticed the extra lacing around the bottom of the foldover, which is what I have on the quiver I bought from HHA.
Chuck

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 11:47:00 AM »
Chuck I'm glad you're having fun building these. As easy and fun as these are to both make and use, there's really no excuse not to.
I'm thinking of adding a pouch or pocket to the front of mine so that I can keep spare strings, broadheads, and other small items close by. I'm just trying to figure out how.

I heard someone mention how good these are for squirrel hunting, as he could just toss the squirrels in the quiver with the arrows. Kinda goes to show how versatile they can be.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 11:57:00 AM »
Mr. Peek, it is nothing special.  As an example, I have one Miller left hand quiver, it is really nice, but I had trouble reaching arrows when it settled, I could not elbow bump into position either.  Nothing changed much with either a tight strap, I hate tight straps, or a loose strap. So I repunched the holes to make the quiver more vertical with a looser strap, both bottom and top holes. A half inch on the bottom and 3/4" over on the top and walla right where it should be with a loose enough strap that it can be slung around easily when ducking through brush.

Online M60gunner

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 12:06:00 PM »
My first quiver had the more rounded bottom also. Later when I realized my backquiver would be more for "shooting" and not hunting I made them like your more oval bottom quiver.
One item I picked up from Don Brown years ago, keep laces to the side so broadheads do not get caught on the lacing while drawing the broadhead arrow.

Offline Bladepeek

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2015, 12:27:00 PM »
Dorado, adding a pouch is easy as long as you sew it on before closing the quiver into a roll.

60" Bear Super K LH 40#@28
69" Matt Meacham LH 42@28
66" Swift Wing LH 35@28
54" Java Man Elk Heart LH 43@28
62"/58" RER LXR LH 44/40@28

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 01:15:00 PM »
Wow! That's nice!

My HHA quiver has a small pouch just hung onto the back of the quiver. I probably could make a bigger one, but I imagine it would be kind of floppy unless I anchored it on the bottom.

Bladepeek's pocket is much more elegant.
Chuck

Offline akbowbender

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
In looking for some info on what John Schulz thought were the requirements were for a good back quiver, I found out that the dimensions given in in Dave Miller's "Shooting the American Semi-Long" (don't know what happened to the "bow") book pretty much match how my HHA quiver was built. The main differences are that the bottom is a little bit shorter, and bit bit wider.

Oh, I did notice that the vertical lap is correct on Dave's quiver. I don't know why mine came the wrong way from HHA, encouraging me to do the same on my first! Oh, well, if I can get motivated, I'll disassemble it and make it right.

To tell you the truth, I forgot that I had  Dave's book. I need to run through it again to see what else I have forgotten!
Chuck

Offline Dorado

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2015, 05:14:00 PM »
Originally posted by Bladepeek:
Dorado, adding a pouch is easy as long as you sew it on before closing the quiver into a roll.

Yeah but I was following Bud B's plans exactly. I didn't think about adding a pouch at the time. It wasn't until a couple of weeks later that I realized I missed the pouch on my hip quiver. The main seam is right down the middle. I may see about making a separate pocket and adding it on. I need some thinner leather though. Everything I have is too heavy. I may give it a try anyways and see what happens. That's a beautiful quiver you have there Bladepeek. I'll try copying the pouch design you have with a couple of changes and my heavy leather.
What are the dimensions of that pouch?

Chuck, it wouldn't be to difficult to fix the main seam on your first one. Just unlace it flip the seam and then re-lace it. You might have to blend the color some and reseal it but at least the seam would be correct.
Samick Sage 35#
Bear Polar 59#@29

Offline AkDan

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 05:25:00 PM »
That is classy Dorado!!!

Chuck, I went through my spare hard drive and so far nothing.   I may have printed it off, or left it on the old computer, I'll try and hook it up tonight and check.  Had to redo the washing machine today,  if I don't answer please send a rubber ducky!

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©