3Rivers Archery

The Trad Gang Digital Market

Contribute to Trad Gang and Access the Classifieds!

Become a Trad Gang Sponsor!

Traditional Archery for Bowhunters

LEFT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS TRAD GANG CLASSIFIEDS ACCESS RIGHT HAND BOWS CLASSIFIEDS

Author Topic: Cold weather gear  (Read 607 times)

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
Cold weather gear
« on: January 15, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
When I was younger I didn't pay much attention to cold weather gear as the cold just didn't bother me that much. I could sit all day in very cold temps. Now that I am getting a little "More mature" lets say, the cold makes me think twice about if I even want to get out there or not. Well I have been reading all I can this year on cold weather gear and putting most of the stock in what our Northern Brothers have posted and shared. I have spent hundreds on some new gear and most is made of wool.

I have come to the realization that most of my on stand heat has been excaping through my head and have found the formula to fix that with a wool Coupes cap from Chuck at Two Tracks.

I was out last night and noticed at dusk I am usually sitting there just shivering not able to sit still and just dying to climb down. Well I was sitting there dead still scanning the woods with just my eyes and warm as I could be. I sat until well after dark as I had two bucks in the field next to me feeding.

What also makes it a great hat is it has a short soft brim for when the sun gets low in the horizon. I was able to keep scanning the woods for those deer that I would usually not see due to the sun in my eyes. All other brimmed hats I would usually turn around as my bow string would hit it on my draw. When you draw with the coupes cap on the string contacts the brim but it is so soft it bends with the string and has no affect on arrow flight or messing up your concentration.

So if you were counting on global warming and that hasn't panning out, you may want to try a new wool hat to keep you toasty and onstand much longer.

Chuck is a TG sponsor so give him a click!

Thanks Chuck from Kentucky!
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline Nuctech

• Trad Bowhunter
Re: Cold weather gear
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 09:30:00 AM »
Hey KentuckyTJ I have that exact same browning wool coat for hunting in cold temperatures. absolutely love it. You are correct about heat escaping from the head, I use a stormy kromer wool hat when the temps really dive. Only problem I have with wool hats is my head absolutely is on fire walking into the woods wearing one but perfect once I get settled in.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 09:31:00 AM »
Gab, I am looking at those as well. But what I am wondering is does your bow string hit the brim on them?
www.zipperbows.com
The fulfillment of your hunt is determined by the amount of effort you put into it  >>>---->

Offline NoCams

• TGMM Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 10:07:00 AM »
Looking good there TJ.... been eyeballing me one of them Two Tracks hats as well. Once we changed all our gear to wool a few years back we are never cold now. Had no idea what we were misssing all these years. Said it on here before, " Try as he may man can never duplicate the perfection God made when he made wool ! " Just my humble opinion.....  :coffee:
TGMM  Family of the Bow
"Failure to plan is planned failure"

Offline Alexander Traditional

• TG HALL OF FAME
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 10:12:00 AM »
I have the original in fleece,and love it. It is very soft against your head,and you don't even know it's there. I like his scallops also,very easy to put in.

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 12:23:00 PM »
Thanks for the info, TJ! I've been looking at that same hat recently, but was concerned about the brim hitting the string.  Thanks for the good news!

Looks like you have a Cabelas neck Gaiter on too.  I was concerned if they are long enough to pull up over your face, yet still protect your neck. Which one is that you have on?
Is a life of rice cakes really life, or just passing time?-Rick Bragg

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 12:51:00 PM »
Thanks again TJ! Looks like you've got a good setup there for your head and neck. Your ears and back of your neck look well protected too.

When it's time to shoot, you can just pull the gaiter down.

Years ago I read somewhere that 80% of your body heat is lost through the top of your head.

Offline A.S.

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2015, 06:07:00 AM »
I'm diggin' that hat TJ. I'm going to have to look in to getting one

Offline Paul Cousineau

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2015, 06:24:00 AM »
Stormy Kromer hats have a short brim, much shorter than a baseball cap. I shoot my 56-60" bows with my kromer on all the time. They are well made. It doesn't look like the ear flaps would pull down as far as that coups cap though. Be sure if you buy one, to try it on first. The sizing of those kromers can vary a bit in my experience. I have 4 of them, 2 different sizes. Wool hats are the best this time of year, as they say, a frosty head only looks good on beer!
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feast on the riches of the hunt. -Proverbs 12:27

Offline Jerry Jeffer

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2015, 06:38:00 AM »
Looking pretty well set there TJ
I will give thanks to the LORD because of his righteousness and will sing praise to the name of the LORD Most High.

Offline damascusdave

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2015, 07:14:00 AM »
I do not bow hunt in it but we have seen temperatures of minus 40 (the two scales meet at that point) here this winter...I just ordered one of the hats and will give it a workout in some serious cold...the nice thing with wool is that you can often wear it in rather warm conditions without getting too hot...thanks for posting

DDave
I set out a while ago to reduce my herd of 40 bows...And I am finally down to 42

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2015, 10:06:00 AM »
Dave, if it's -40 you need to stay indoors. Only thing you could wear to keep you warm is a sauna.
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 01:05:00 PM »
TJ, is yours a Grey camo or a Brown camo?  I'm guessing its Brown camo?

Offline carbonflyr

• Contributing Member
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 02:23:00 PM »
i'm wanting one of those hats in the worst way!!

Offline hockey7

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 03:15:00 PM »
Looks like your wearing a wool blend coat too, that helps.

I've tried the new fangled, high tech stuff, and I freeze, gone back to all wool.

Offline KentuckyTJ

• SPONSOR
  • Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 03:50:00 PM »
Originally posted by Tall Paul:
TJ, is yours a Grey camo or a Brown camo?  I'm guessing its Brown camo?
Paul, correct it is the brown.

Bob yes that's a wool blend coat. Got the bibs also to match. They are both great
www.zipperbows.com

Offline Tall Paul

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2015, 06:54:00 PM »
I'm bringing this thread back up, because I recently received the "Coups Cap" that I ordered from Two Tracks after TJ started this thread.

I'm really impressed with this hat. I didn't get to try it in a tree stand (my intended purpose), but just wearing it outside shooting, etc., I love it.

Being wool, its warm but it also breaths, so I don't sweat like I would with a polyester one. I just finished shooting my bow out back, and the short brim is perfect.

Thanks for starting this thread TJ!

Offline rockkiller

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2015, 07:56:00 PM »
Been wanting to order one of the hats ,but two tracks web site shows only black in stock.Hope they get some more camo ones in.

Offline PUDDLE JUMPER

• Trad Bowhunter
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2015, 11:27:00 PM »
I really like the looks of this. I was thinking of the Stormy Kromer but this looks ideal. Thanks for bringing it back up.

Users currently browsing this topic:

Contact Us | Trad Gang.com © | User Agreement

Copyright 2003 thru 2024 ~ Trad Gang.com ©